What did you do to your Cruzbike today?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
So I just got done racing the Central Coast Double Century and just like the DMD two weeks ago and the unknown Century last week it's another steep one with over 14,000' of elevation gain. Well we could call this the wake up call that's been a long time coming for the double century racing world. Not only did I win, I broke away at the second mile and that was the last I saw of anyone for the next 208 miles. The first aid station was at the top of a steep 18% kicker I almost didn't clear due to wheel spin and as I rolled through the works where looking at me like they thought I was just some random guy out for his morning ride. By the time I got to the last two aid stations I was so far under course record pace they didn't even have everything setup yet. They were running around trying to find the box with the sodas.

This is my first overall victory for CruzBike and my first Overall course record. Prepare for the onslaught of "that bike is not fair" comments.

https://www.strava.com/activities/576238504

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
This is my first overall victory for CruzBike and my first Overall course record. Prepare for the onslaught of "that bike is not fair" comments.
Bravo once again Jason. Awesome overall speed of 19.2 mph, with over 14 thousand ft of climbing, and top speed of 53 mph. Sounds like it's getting lonely out there:D.
"that bike is not fair"
What? Fast bike + fast rider = winner :cool:! Maybe some of these fast riders ought to get a faster bike, eh?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
3rd place had nothing but respect for my result today but he was the first so far to mention that it's unfair have the recumbent in the same class as everyone else.

The irony is before I showed up on the scene of you had asked any of the top ten riders today if a rider on a recumbent could finish in the top ten at a difficult race like this they'd probably laugh and say good luck with that. I do like that the riders aren't bitter and have huge respect for my effort but they are still struggling to come to grips with their misconceptions being very wrong.

Bill K

Guru
3rd place had nothing but respect for my result today but he was the first so far to mention that it's unfair have the recumbent in the same class as everyone else.

The irony is before I showed up on the scene of you had asked any of the top ten riders today if a rider on a recumbent could finish in the top ten at a difficult race like this they'd probably laugh and say good luck with that. I do like that the riders aren't bitter and have huge respect for my effort but they are still struggling to come to grips with their misconceptions being very wrong.

I wonder what they will say when they find out your bike weighs something like 10 pounds more than theirs, on a very hilly course no less.

Very Cool!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
This is very true, but until today they thought that! Most of the DF riders in my area are very respectful towards me, and we get along quite well. I'm no where near the climber you are Jason (far far from it), but they like to see me out there giving it a go up the hills. I'm basically the only guy out here on a recumbent riding the hills and country roads in my area, so they all know me, give me thumbs-ups, kudos, and happy waves.

Seeing what you did today on a very difficult challenging course for a recumbent not only get a top ten, but take first will defiantly get them talking and thinking "wow, recumbent's can climb". That's what I used to hear most is, "but they can't climb, right"?

Bentas

The mind boggles Jason at what you might do on a carbon frame 7 or 8 kg cruzbike ,if they eventually get to that.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
It's really too bad I wont make the 3rd and final stage of this triple crown stage race series as I have a decent shot and winning it but alas I'm a mtber and mtbers got 24hr mtb races to get to that same day :rolleyes: So the endurance record books won't have to suffer a recumbent winning the series in 2016 at least.

SamP

Guru
You're improving on at least three axis: you're getting better at road biking, you're getting more attuned to the bike, and you've been tuning the bike to be better for you. Congrats and here's to continuing improvement.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
You're improving on at least three axis: you're getting better at road biking, you're getting more attuned to the bike, and you've been tuning the bike to be better for you. Congrats and here's to continuing improvement.

The last thing a mtber wants to hear is that they are becoming a better road biker :mad:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Jason, ANOTHER stunning double century ride (335 km) 4,300 m climbing, and 20 minutes faster than the 2nd rider!!!!

Have any of the DF riders asked for details about the Vendetta?

How did the disk brakes go?

LMT

It's laughable, the whole 'recumbents can't climb hills' truly is a lot of rubbish. As Mike Burrows - designer extraordinaire and recumbent racer - once said 'Bikes don't go up hills people do, the only thing a bike will do is go down a hill.'

Superb effort, well done, and good to see your power coming through on the Vendetta. Hard to believe that your NP was only 206w!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Left the vendetta at home and rocked the Niner Mtb out at Rockville for a session of some seriously rocks drops, tight switch backs and massive tree roots in all the wrong places. Even swapped bikes with a friend at his request to try out my Niner and proceeded to watch him tip over and slide out making sure every corner of my bike hit the ground:eek: the beauty of a Mtb though is they are tough and I've chucked my bike down the trail more times then I care to count and it's still going strong.

I wonder how many ultra distance road racer get out there and rock an Enduro bike between double century's and such:p

If you only focus on one thing you miss out on 99 other possibilities.

Last edited:

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Went lurking to the BROL board and was surprised to see this historic milestone hasn't reached them yet?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Pickled my chain
316F749B-FB84-4AF7-B273-C267C1989723_zpsisbbonw4.jpg