What did you do to your Cruzbike today?

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Pickled my chain
316F749B-FB84-4AF7-B273-C267C1989723_zpsisbbonw4.jpg
Is there a USE BY, or Best before, for this pickled chain?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Now that I got my cast off my hand this week I can start riding the trainer with both hands for greater stability. Figured I'd mount up the new disc wheel covers to help with the severe headwinds found inside my house o_O
2873186E-DA51-4EA7-96AA-094F85225148_zps3tld8qmn.jpg

Bill K

Guru
Jason wasn't the only one upgrading stuff this weekend.
Good to hear you got your cast off! Your bike buddies can now get back to "fearing" you:)

I installed my first tubeless tire today, and it went way better than expected.
First I drove to my LBS (Davidson) who built me the new wheel:
HED Belgium plus rim with White Industries hub. Man that hub spins forever!
Mounted the new Schwalbe Pro One 700c x 28 tire. No tools needed. Did it completely by hand, no levers, no soap on the tire bead!
Tried to pump it up. No go, as expected.
Rode over to REI and brought home a Topeak JoeBlow Booster pump.
First try pumping it up with the Topeak: no go, as expected.
What worked (on the third try):
- Wipe soapy water on the tire beads.
- Wrap a strap around the circumference of the tire and compress the tire.
- Remove the valve core.
- Pump up the booster tank on the Topeak all the way to 160 psi.
- Flip the "inflate mode" switch to inflate the tire.
The tire has been holding air without loosing pressure (and without installing sealant) for a few hours now.
Tomorrow, I will probably insert the sealant, but I think the tire would work just fine without it.

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 22

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Jason wasn't the only one upgrading stuff this weekend.
Good to hear you got your cast off! Your bike buddies can now get back to "fearing" you:)

I installed my first tubeless tire today, and it went way better than expected.
First I drove to my LBS (Davidson) who built me the new wheel:
HED Belgium plus rim with White Industries hub. Man that hub spins forever!
Mounted the new Schwalbe Pro One 700c x 28 tire. No tools needed. Did it completely by hand, no levers, no soap on the tire bead!
Tried to pump it up. No go, as expected.
Rode over to REI and brought home a Topeak JoeBlow Booster pump.
First try pumping it up with the Topeak: no go, as expected.
What worked (on the third try):
- Wipe soapy water on the tire beads.
- Wrap a strap around the circumference of the tire and compress the tire.
- Remove the valve core.
- Pump up the booster tank on the Topeak all the way to 160 psi.
- Flip the "inflate mode" switch to inflate the tire.
The tire has been holding air without loosing pressure (and without installing sealant) for a few hours now.
Tomorrow, I will probably insert the sealant, but I think the tire would work just fine without it.

Had to help a buddy with his tubless today.

1) Apply Schwable mounting fluid to rim tape. just to make it slippery. bottle lasts for about 20 tire mounts
2) Install 700c x 25 pro one; no tools here as well.
3) Give buddy crap for not lining up the logo with the value stem last time
4) Make sure both beads are in the valley of rim
5) Lift wheel by the tire body with thumb and index finger and pinch tire sidewalls together.
6) Take orange seal endurance sealant and put tip of bottle on the exposed bead.
7) Dribble sealant on the bead to the right of the pinch and let gravity pull it around ½ the entire bead until a tiny amount leaks at the bottom
8) repeated dribble to the left of the pinch. (the left or the right bead now has a tiny amount of sealant on the entire bead) you only need to do 1 side.
9) spin tire vertically in hands.
10) spin tire horizontally in hands sealant bead up
11) flip the spin so sealant side is down.
12) Attach flash pump
13) Pop tire seated.
14) Remove valve core and add 1 oz of sealant.
15) Pump up tire; and ride away

This took about 4 minutes. Buddy had been trying to dry mount for 7 hours and was going to give up.

He then did the same on the other tire after watching me; and he did it in about 7 minutes.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Very nice!

Unlike Rojo, I didn't invent anything for my Cruzbike today. I just followed @JOSEPHWEISSERT 's example and put these lower mounts on. Actually put these on last night and they came in really handy for today's 73mi in the sultry summer heat. They don't interfere with the underseat bottles and are way easier to get at.
No, they don't improve the bike's aerodynamics :(
image.jpg

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Lets see...um, after all my honey-do's this morning, I wrestled the V20's shifting back into shape. I had gotten it all working nicely...took it for its first test ride and it required a good bit of boom and slider work to get a better fit for me. Of course, that hosed up all the fine shifting adjustments. So, I spent an hour or three this afternoon screwing up shift cables. One cable dead (frayed beyond repair), one shifter housing kinked (it's stiff...will need replacement). After a trip to the LBS, I've got it back in order...except for the housing, didn't discover that until after LBS had closed for the weekend.

Also demounted the tires, aligned the logo with the valve-stems and remounted. I was too excited to get tires on those rims the first time around and paid no attention to where the logos went. That little OCD guy on my shoulder feels a lot better now. ;)

Housing or no, I think I'm going to wrap the bars this evening and prep for a test ride in the morning. Oh, I got the Fastback mounted...not pretty but it will work until I make up some backing plates and screw it to the seat. I need to mount a bottle cage to the right side, I have ordered one of those zippered 'bottle' cases for tools/tubes/CO2 filler, etc. The old one died (zipper froze from corrosion) but they still make 'em.

I still need to order some mirrors. I feel nekkid without at least one...just haven't gotten there yet.

Vendetta LH 72316.jpg

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Yesterday I finally got around to filing the pivot cage to allow the pivot clamp to fit the hole
it's finally in.
The pivot bolt used to be in the next hole over;
the previous owners used all the rest of the holes.
IMG_1774_zps00ow1tjf.jpg

This is made possible by rough surgery done by the previous owner who used a Dremel tool to remove most of the material.
I spent a few hours relieving the corners and dressing up grind marks with my jeweler's files.
That sloppy kerf is not my fault!
Anyway, the parts fit snugly yet easily.

Look at that pretty weld!
And ugh, look at those rust flecks on the pivot bolt.
Before bolting everything back together, I checked the head bearings....

This new position feels good, so it was worth it!

Since the boom moved forward a few millimeters, I shortened the boom a few millimeters.
Readjusted the front derailleur and freshened up the blue Loctite on the limit screws.
While the Loctite was out, I refreshed the Loctite on the centering screws in the rim brakes.

Gave the bike a quick polish to remove all of my sweaty/oily prints and took this closeup.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
I am curious as to how you have set the handlebars. Any chance of a look as it might be something I haven't tried. Thanks
The bullbar setup has not changed, but it is just a wee bit further away from me now than it was when this picture was taken last week.
It was fine before; now it's finer.
Why?
More shoulder and core muscles involved with high-power (stop laughing!) riding & less reliance on the wimpier arm muscles.
Also, a little bit more aero with straighter arms than before.

See?
IMG_1766_zpsb3dvjfyc.jpg

The pivot bolt living in its old home.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I use to have my arms straighter and I liked the security and quick power engagement and it felt great going up the hills but for me it was causing issues in my arms by the elbows. A condition that's almost the same as tennis elbow. I had it both arms but after an adjustment of bringing in the handlebars and stretching the pain in my right arm went away and the left arm persisted. I even brought the handlebars in further and dropping the bars down a little so my arms are more aligned with my legs. I couldn't do this before until I lost all the weight. As the handlebar used to push on my belly when sitting upright.

I just been to the physio tonight and had a very painful deep tissue massage on my left forearm and elbow. He told me how to stretch the left arm after every ride by holding your left arm out straight, twisting your left wrist to the left and holding your left hand with your right hand; keep sure your left arm is straight apply a little pressure from your left hand against the right hand so you feel a little tension in your upper left forearm. Do for 30 seconds after every ride.

My bullhorns are a little different. Even now after adjusting the handlebars I would always do the stretches on both forearms.

Sorry it sounds complicated but riding the V for me is so addictive it's all too easy to ride with a pain until it becomes a chronic pain.

Nothing worse to give up riding for seven months.

(Imagine these bullhorns on a curved boom with the yellow V. It's almost worth buying the new V just to put a different front assembly on)
image.jpeg

Last edited:

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Got Cyclestar mirrors in yesterday. Mounted them to the bars last night. Mounted one on its short stalk and one snapped right into the strap-mount. I'll have to ride it to see which configuration works best. Being as it is Friday, I may be able to do an evening jaunt on the MUT.

"Lights" are the theme for this weekend. I'm currently running an old Cateye single-LED mounted on the handlebars...but I want to move it up to the BB tab. I wouldn't mind a better/brighter one up front. In the rear, I'm still looking at options. My favorite of the past was dual rear Cateye elongated lights mounted on a 1" horizontal aluminum tube...which got the two blinkies about shoulder-width apart. Local cop mentioned to me that I looked 'wider' with that setup and it may contribute to more passing room given. If I could angle them slightly, older folks would think I was a 1960 Plymouth Valiant sneaking down the road in the mornings. :D
220px-J66109_Bazou_20130810-162416_45.52342%2C-73.56055%2C132%2C45m_Valiant1960-Back.jpg