What difference a year makes

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
This struck me as interesting. It was about a year ago that we were finishing up building Mrs. Ratz's Silvio. After a year of learning to ride and putting in the time to train all winter I had to make good on my promise to upgrade her ride.

This is a good example of how the bike your currently have might be different from your next one without even buying a new bike.

This was last march. Not the correct handlebars but that's basically what we put on the road.

Compare1.jpg

This is what I finished this weekend and should be on the road next week when we are forecasted for 58F

Compare3.jpg
Compare4.jpg

Compare5.jpg
Compare6.jpg

We both remarked that the bike looked fast sitting still. So lets hope her training is up to it.

Compare2.jpg

This year we all added front and rear facing ride cameras we'll see how the works out in practice. Far too much on this bike that needs to be charged by USB. I'm going to have to build charging stations in the garage.

Compare7.jpg
Compare8.jpg

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Hard to believe it's been a

Hard to believe it's been a year Bob. Time flies by so quickly these days.

I know how you feel about a charging station. Between my: FLy6, GoPro Hero4, Gamin Edge, HTC phone, auxiliary battery pack, and Dinotte Daytime light (did I miss anything?)...it's a wonder I can lug up these hills around here.

...but to tell you the truth, I was expecting Lady Ratz's bike to be yellow or red by this spring
regular_smile.gif
!!

BentAero

I'll bet if you twist Larry's

I'll bet if you twist Larry's arm real hard, you could trade your (her) black one for his red one. ;)
angel_smile.gif
devil_smile.gif

BentAero

Remember the hole cut in the

Remember the hole cut in the boom thing? Well, that 'door' has been welded shut, the weld turned down smooth in the lathe, then repowdercoated.

I pushed 'slices' of aluminum (think wedding band shape) cut-off from the male portion of the boom up inside the female tube (Intra-Boom-Device, or IBD) in order for the original piece of aluminum to have something to keep it in place while welding. It's virtually crush-proof and rock solid tough now. Rather than hide the battery as originally planned (hoped for), now it just has a tiny hole for the charging wire to poke thru.

Anyway, Larry rode it once for just a few miles before running out time before Sebring. Since he had virtually no miles on it, he chose to race the yellow bike. As you all know, he fell at about the 23.5 hour mark hurting his shoulder pretty bad. It's still very painful and his doc is sending him for an MRI in the coming days, so his outdoor riding has been severely limited.

All that to say, he simply hasn't had the opportunity to ride the red bike post-Sebring. I'm sure he'll chime in here when he gets a minute for a further update.

Between the two of us we're team limp-gimp.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Bob. Blame it on Rick.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Thanks Gary for the

Thanks Gary for the update...yeah sorry about the hi-jacking.

Gosh, I did not know the injury was that serious, man I whish Larry a fast recovey...you too Gary. With Spring just around the corner in all, I hope to see/read about you guys getting some riding in before to long.

ratz

Yeah it's now full on college

Yeah it's now full on college saving season with two leaving the nest over the next two summers. But you are correct all the pieces on that bike are setup to be directly trans planted to a V20 I doubt I'd have a problem selling the Silvo Frame; although our Daughter keeps trying to lay claim to it.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I have been commuting on mine

I have been commuting on mine for a bit more than 11 months. Yesterday I did no-hands. Just about. Not quite got it yet.

So, you are using your bike to carry a complete video production and broadcasting facility. You can get a dynamo-powered phone-charger which might power it. You would probably need some kind of transformer or something. More weight. You might be able to power a DI2 with it.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
rather than hijack this thread

any further - I'll send you guys an email to update my shoulder progress, as well as my V20 status.

Wannabe

Great Job Bob!

The bike does indeed look fast sitting still! I am however concerned for you and your wife's safety. Allow me to humbly suggest you check these out. http://store.designshinelighting.com/category-s/1825.htm . Why would you want to check these out? Here is why! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2kWIjjEP8A. AMAZING YES?! I am not associated with DS in any way.

For great success in the energy management realm, I have found this. I do not hit the wall like in the past. http://bestperformance.myshaklee.com/us/en/shop/healthyfoundations/sports

I hope this helps you. Goodness knows you and this forum have helped me greatly!

ratz

You kinda have to see a Fly6

You kinda have to see a Fly6 running to believe it; the thing is deadly bright in the top mode; way too bright for another biker to tailgate you in the day light. I was shocked actually I expected a down grade from the Portland Design light we used last year.

The front one is 500 lumens and we have to put a cut off on the top of the lens not blind the on coming cars. It's all good though; she only rides in day light; and both lights run for 6+ hours in flashing mode which is how we ride. The only night time rider is me and my bike looks like a space aliens with 10 lights on it (see the videos in signature). Saved that tail light link for future reading.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I'm running the FLY6 and

I'm running the FLY6 and Dinotte Daytime Rear-Light. The FLY6 is obscure next to the Dinotte. I like the FLY6 for it being a an accident-cam, but to me it's not very bright for day time riding even it it's brightest setting.

I watched the YouTube video David posted, and was surprised anything could be brighter than the Dinotte, but they are twice as bright.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Rick I have been trying to

Rick I have been trying to buy a set of these for THREE YEARS, but they are made by an Electrical Engineer from his home, so very limited supply. The Dinotte Daylight rears are a second best!!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
That S2.0 you have for Mrs. Ratz

is a real beauty!
It looks like it is dialed in perfectly for her.
I saw someone ask why she hasn' t gotten a yellow or red Cruzbike as a replacement.
From my personal observation, she may not want to unless she really want to "race", and even then, my S2.0 was decently fast in my first 12-hour event - nearly 20mph, even sitting up at 28 degrees! And even now, in my last 1 hr TT in my V, I was not able to push it much faster than my S, much to my dismay!

It is my observation that laying back that extra 8 degrees does make a significant difference in the hip angle and therefore in the ability to put your power to the pedals. In my testing on my S2.0 against my V2.2 - sure, the V takes less watts to go the same speed, but it is harder to put the watts to the cranks, therefore there is not a whole lot of difference in the end.

That's my 2-cents (won't even by a piece of candy now though, so not worth too much!)

Wannabe

Super Slim,
I have been

Super Slim,
I have been wanting to buy Stephans DS500 For years as well. Well the good news is I got mine about 4 weeks ago. I ordered on Tuesday and had it for the weekend. So..... if you are still in the market, contact DS.

Rick,
The u-tube video does not do the light justice. When mine arrived 3 days after ordering I was amazed as I held it in my hand.
This little jewel of a light is to lights as CB are to pedal machines!!!
Stephan offer satisfaction guarantee. Me, being a skeptic ( it took me 8 yrs to try a CB)..... took the chance because of the warrantee.

HOLY MOLY!!! The DS 500 is light years better than all others! Hey I was thinking I could email pics to you or RAtz and you could post my bike pics for me. YA might be interested in some of my solutions and set up, lights, water etc..... what-cha think?

Bob, cool deal.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
David, sure email me your

David, sure email me your pics and I can post them for you! PM me and I will reply with my email address.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Dear Wannabe I just ordered

Dear Wannabe I just ordered the DS500! Thank you VERY much for informing me of their availability!!!

I have placed the DS1300 headlight on my wish list

Wannabe

my pleasure kind sir!!!

Yes, the DS1300 is on my wish list too. IMHO, a 400 or so lumen flashing light for day use is easy to see. At night, It leaves room to be better.
My back ground of Motorcycles and the fact that I am still here, is a testament to my understanding of what it takes to be seen. I tried all kinds of lights as well as tints. I would approach my bike via "cage" from at least 1/2 mile away. Some things worked well some did not. To that end, the same for front and rear on a bicycle. A HPV is smaller than a M/C, slower and not expected by the zombies that occupy most motor-vehicles. When my 1/2 watt, 1 watt, 2 watt lights were really not that visible, i set out to remedy the situation. At one point in time, I had 4 lights on the back of my GRR. PIA is what that was! The four were better than 2, but not by much. After reading and watching Utube and seeing the DS video, I had found my answer. I do believe 110% that the DS1300 is worth putting on the front. Besides it has an even more important use! Light for camping, surviving no electricity when storms pass, etc. LET THERE BE LIGHT! God gave us Design Shine!!!

Please tell us how you like and share the light with others!!!

ratz

3rd law invoked.

Damit I hate it when I have to invoke the 3rd law. DS500 ordered. If I actually do the RAM 400 qualifier in July I'm going to want that Ds1300 too. Go go tax return. Oh and by my count thanks to Slim and me I think they still have 3 in stock. Get'em while they gott'em.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
When buying the Designshine

When buying the Designshine lights, stay away from the Magicshine high 5.6 A.hr capacity battery as they are only half the capacity claimed, very heavy, and when combined with the Magicshine MJ808L2 headlight only lasted 4 hours on flash mode, not 8 + hours as claimed!

After that I did a lot of testing with different lights at 50% power, and the cheap Magicshine copy as the common light, with the same cut out voltage, at 50% with a fan to keep it cool, resulted in Magicshine high capacity Sony? 4 cell 5.6Ah battery was only 8.2 mA.hr/gram compared to a cheap $55 copy light and 4 cell 7.2v battery at 10.04 mA.hr/gram, Dinotte 2 cell 10.83 mA.hr/gm and the best being the Dinotte 4 cell at 16.1mA.hr/gm.

I would recommend the Dinotte 4 cell battery and charger!