What drove your decision process?

Tohopko

It seems, from my brief exposure here, that several forum members bought Silvios and subsequently (some in very short order...Rick) bought a Vendetta. Just wondering what the decision process was like. I will have my first ride over at Rose City in a couple of weekends, and that will help me decide about the Cruz design, but it may not help me decide which model.

For background, my current ride is a steel Bacchetta Giro with "hamster" bars--which I find comfortable, but slow and sloppy compared to the very lightweight Corsa I put together a few years ago. Even with the weight and "loose" feel, I can climb at 2-3mph when need be. My Corsa was a dream for being quick--but could also get a little twitchy. I've also owned a LWB Stratus XP that I found intensely comfortable--as long as I wasn't trying to go fast.

Was it simply the need for speed that drove the change to (or addition of) the Vendetta?

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Decision Process

Everyone's decision process is different and so here's mine.

My first bike was a new steel ten-speed from Sears.
It worked fine for me, until I passed it down to my sister.

Then, I worked with motorcycles for years.
-As a mechanic,
-as a co-owner of a shop,
-and finally as a motorcycle test rider.

After motorcycle nirvana, my body could no longer tolerate
bicycles.
Even now, decades later, I dismount -howling in pain- after only
fifteen minutes in the saddle... any saddle.

Shopping for a bicycle, to both stay in shape and to commute on,
I discovered recumbent bicycles.
Recumbent bikes are very comfortable, but almost all of them are
pigs.
Slow.
Heavy, inefficient, slow but oh, so very comfortable.

As an experienced mechanic, test rider and with a love of efficient and intelligent design,
I bought a Cruzbike online, without a test drive first and sight unseen.

I never looked back.
FWD MBB bikes are efficient, heavier than a standard bike, climb like goats and are, for me,
all-day comfortable.

As for the Vendetta, I'd like to own one but
my Sofrider fits me and the local hills very well.
Plus, I'm not a racer ... any more.
I recommend the Vendetta highly. Although I have never ridden it, it's design has always impressed me.

There are a few recumbents around here.
A few Bachettas, a low racer, a trike and a Lightning P-38.
My Cruzbike Sofrider is kind of slow on the flats, but none of the
locals on their recumbents have a prayer of keeping up with me up hill.
A Vendetta would take them on the flats too, but there are way more hills
here than there are flat roads.

So, you've decided on a FWD MBB by Cruzbike... ; probably a Vendetta.

Good decision.
Good luck!

-Steve

1happyreader

zen/child method
Koolaid observations

Tohopko,

IMHO, a quest or sofrider will be a more familiar arm position for you while Getting the feel of what the movable front boom does to your balance and steering.

It's really better to put yourself in the mindset of a toddler exploring what this new toy can do or wants me to do on your cruzbike.
Those that say" I know how to ride a bike, i can make this work" seem to be a great source of used bikes on ebay!

I was not a speed demon or a serious rider before, Bob P,was for sure and Rick seems to like nice long rides.
Rick was on a LWB before ,talk to him ??

Keep you head up and smile

Tohopko

I suppose I should add the cycling history

I didn't really talk about my background before recumbents. I was career USAF and a pilot for years until my rank became sufficient that it was deemed oak was better a better cockpit than aluminum for my talents. Spent the last few years in international relations.

While I rode bicycles as a kid, motorcycles became my thing when an adolescent, then it became all about aircraft. I flew heavies--but particularly enjoyed taking a C-141 down to less than 300 feet and more than 300 knots and throwing people and trash out the back. When I was a squadron commander, my exec, a confirmed cyclist, loaned me an old steel 10 speed and took me out for a ride. It was probably top of the line once...and was horrid. I stuck with the pain, ended up with my own mid-range DF, and got the wife riding. After only a couple of years, the flight time related cervical issues were starting to show (helped along with some poor genetics), as well as growing wrist issues and a little Raynaud's that doesn't like weight on the hands. This coincided with a concern that Dear Wife would sometimes get a bit wobbly on climbs and go veering off into traffic.

We picked up two Catrikes that we still have and fell deeply in love with recumbents. Not long after, I felt the need for more speed and picked up an old steel Corsa. Love all over again. Over time, she also came back to two wheels, although reclined. We've had a Carbon Strada Velo, a Gold Rush, a Koosah, a couple of Stratus XPs, Giro 20/26 ATTs, aluminum Corsa, Giro 26/26 both steel and ATT. We still have the Cats and also have a Screamer Tandem that we bought to refurbish...but have decided we'll probably get a couple of delta trikes for the days the tandem urge hits us.

We still have high end mountain bikes, but rarely ride them. My skill level, combined with a need for speed and lack of respect for my body has caused far too many injuries.

I miss flying from time to time, but I have actually found that pedaling along with my feet in the air gives me some of the same feeling of freedom. Unfortunately, I find the Giro I am currently riding a bit cumbersome. I've got it kicked back to 25 degrees, but it just feels a little like driving a truck. I could go and pick up another Corsa, or do a CA 2, but most of the high racers give me the "been there, done that" feeling.

Candidates for something new include the M5 and other "S" bikes, the Metaphysic, and the Cruz bikes...just seems wasteful to get the "wrong" one :)

My name is Jim, and I have a recumbent problem...

Tohopko

Funny, that

Just read the blog post, Bob. Funny how our own feelings of immortality can cause such stark reminders at times. I did 26 years in the Air Force...and have 26 screws to show for it. One shattered leg, four shoulder surgeries, 4 herniated discs...mostly because "pilot" tends to mean "reckless" when it comes to looking out for your own physical well being. So much attention and caution in the air means you blow it all off on the ground. Often, it hurts :)

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Hi Jim, I'm a former

Hi Jim, I'm a former USAF Aircraft Maintenance Officer (1985-1992). I worked F-111Ds at Cannon AFB, NM. I then managed to get an assignment to F-16s at Torrejon in Spain to try and get off F-111s but a certain Col Miller diverted me to the UK because of my F-111 background where I worked with F-111Es and EF-111As at RAF Upper Heyford. Following my UK tour, I then spent time at the Standard Systems Center at Gunter AFB, AL with SOS in residence as a part of that PCS working with the Core Automated Maintenance System (CAMS) and REMIS before deciding to get out as a Captain mostly due to Gen McPeak's changes which I never cared for and the SSI offered in the early 90s. I was in charge of Transient Alert when Gen McPeak was 12AF Commander. He used to come by Cannon AFB somewhat frequently and tended to run my TA guys ragged asking to have his jet prepped and ready to go asap and then not showing up for hours...

Many here have way more bicycle time here than me including you but I was drawn to the elegance of the design and simplicity of the driveline compared to RWD recumbents. I was lucky enough to test ride a Silvio that I barely fit and fell in love with how it felt to ride and how it handled - like banking in an aircraft - but the aspects that drew me to the Sivio were even more pronounced in the Vendetta so after a great deal of trepidation over spending that kind of money I ordered a Vendetta. Prior to this purchase the most I had spent on a bicycle was something like $600.00 for a Mobiky Genius folder and about $300 before that for a Diamondback Ascent MTB back in the late 80s while at Cannon AFB.

I placed my Vendetta order in Sep 2012 just as the new hydroforming effort was kicking in and missed the last of the earlier version Vendetta stock and ended up waiting about 8 months before getting the first or one of the first sales of the version 2 Vendetta.

Since I had to wait so long Jim sent me a brand new Quest as a loaner and I used it to get proficient on the CB FWD MBB platform including taking it to 2013 Bike Sebring to do my very first century in about 7:30 or so.

Once I finally got my Vendetta and took it on the maiden ride I was even more blown away than the short test on the Silvio. About 2 weeks after I started riding the Vendetta, I took it to the 2013 Michigan HPVA races at the Waterford, MI racetrack where I ended up placing third overall in the stock class the first time I ever raced a bike or participated in an HPV event.

Later in June 2013 I did my first 24 hour at N24HC where I completed just over 200 miles. Got hit in July 2013 by an errant minivan, put the bike and myself back together while also switching to bullhorn handlebars and did the 2014 Bike Sebring 24 hours literally this time a year ago where I managed to eke out 254 miles or so with a 5:39 for the first 100 miles but also flared up my carpal tunnel issues. Did 2014 N24HC in woeful shape and had a high speed crash that was largely self induced from carelessness that resulted in only doing about 163 miles.

Carpal tunnel surgery on the right hand Dec 2014 and currently seriously snow bound and doing a lot of daily tempo riding with the Vendetta on my KICKR to get back into shape. Sorely missing not being at 2014 Bike Sebring right now especially with my local weather!

If you like going fast you will love the Vendetta. It likes to go fast.

-Eric

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Was serious non-competition

Was serious non-competition rider in my twenties, long hard rides to decompress for work and life; faded over time to a periodic rider while raising first kids. Then I had a serious accident and neck injury that sidelined me for 2 years.

Eased into a trike to see if I could even ride again; then next year tricked it out for go fast. 3rd year sold the trike. Read and re-read Eric's Vendetta build thread and took a flyer on the Silvio, went Silvio because of our roads. After completing the build and being pleased with the quality; ordered the wife her Silvio.

Both of us had the day 1 experience of OMG what stupid thing have I done. But that faded fast and and it's been no looking back. 200 miles in when the kids expressed interest we scooped up 3 used Quests and ordered 3 new ones. Riders in the family include, Me, Wife, Daughter1, Daughter2, and Grandpa. Son is just tall enough to learn this coming summer.

The tale is over here covering up to year 1 of the trike: http://mylifeinrecline.com/ac-blog/2012/6/19/broken-but-not-beaten.html

Since then; We've taught a multitude of people to ride the quests now.
My wife learned the Ride the Silvio straight as a non biker.

In the end the Vendetta was added as my go fast go far bike. It was that or a Zockra MBB custom build. I emailed Jim a few times and a few others. Those conversations convinced me that the V would be the perfect bike and the perfect community to continue to hitch our wagon too.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Candidates for something new

Candidates for something new include the M5 and other "S" bikes, the Metaphysic, and the Cruz bikes...just seems wasteful to get the "wrong" one

That was much my list too. M5 - I'm too short. MetaPhysic, Cruzbike, and Zockra where the finalist. The Zockra wasn't going to be available in time for the season so it got back burner-ed, the MetaPhysic was versatile, but the Carbon wasn't shipping then, but I knew it was coming; so the Cruzbike Silvio was available, affordable, and had a track record of incredible value retention if I was wrong. So fate it was.

Even if the Wife get's her Vendetta; don't look for the Silvio to go on sale used; Daughter #2 has already staked her claim if mom upgrades. You see mom's the speed freak once she rides a Vendetta that Silvio will just gather dust.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Yet another Air Force vet

Yet another Air Force vet here, albeit medical corps. 4 years at Wright-Patt.

Two of my (civilian) partners got me started on bents in 2002 when neck problems had me resigned to giving up biking for good. First one was a Rans V2. Then a trike. Then a Bachetta CA2.0. The 2.0 was (and is) a pretty fast bike but for some reason just lacked any 'fun factor' for me. So after lots of lurking in this forum I bought a used Sofrider (modified by previous owners: 700c wheels, brifters, etc) and once i avoided getting arrested for cycling while intoxicated by learning to ride it late at night while the neighbors blissfully slept unawares, I soon realized this 30+ pound bike was way faster uphill than the vaunted CA2.0, as well as a LOT of fun to ride. So, sold the Bachetta, then bought a used Silvio frame and built it up last spring. Have never looked back.

hope that's a little perspective from the former Bachetta contingent.

Kline

Tohopko

Good to know

Kline, thanks for that perspective of the CA. My Corsa was a decent climber at 24lbs, my Giro is a pig. I'm out of shape at the moment, but even the 7% grade up to the house requires the bottom of its range (21.4 inches).

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Tohopko, you're welcome. The

Tohopko, you're welcome. The CA2.0 was a very good climber compared to the Rans V2 or my wife's Stratus, but the fact that the heavy Sofrider was a far better climber than even the 2.0--well, that convinced me these Cruzbike people were onto something, and something good!

KM

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Was it simply the need for

Was it simply the need for speed that drove the change to (or addition of) the Vendetta?
For me I think it was: (Bob (aka Ratz) posted over on BROL) The Silvio is very efficient/fast, I wonder what the Vendetta would be like (I don't remember his exact words). Then next thing I know Bob had one on order, built it up, and gave a review. So I started wondering the same thing. I had a Metabike just sitting in the garage collecting dust. I made the decision to sell it, posted it on BROL, sold it the same day, and ordered the Vendetta frameset the next.

Efficiency: I believe there is no other recumbent that has a more efficient drive train than a Cruzbike. I believe efficiency translates to more; speed, distance, and easier climbing - for less power or watts applied.

I should also mention, nothing was wrong with the Silvio, in fact everything was right, that's why I trusted purchasing a Vendetta.

But I had no idea that the Vendetta was going to be such an easy bike to ride in congested areas, like bike paths, heavy vehicle traffic, etc. Currently I enjoy riding it all the time in all types riding conditions. I love how it carves corners, especially coming down fast windy mountain roads.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
My steel wedgie racer-tourer

My steel wedgie racer-tourer was starting to hurt me. I was doing a thought-experiment about raising the handlebars and lowering the saddle. I realised that this would not help unless taken to extremes. In that case you are sitting close to the ground with the bars above your belly.

So eventually I found a 'bent that I could ride without falling off. HPVelotechnik Streetmachine, which was stolen six months after I bought it. I replaced it with a Grasshopper, which I ordered before they started manufacturing them. Grasshoppers from that time do not fold.

I was grinding my way up Mount Everest when I thought "okay, this is daft." People on mountain-bikes kept passing me. On the flat. So eventually I was looking at this here website. I have never actually done anything that you could actually call engineering, but I like engineering. I like using a machine with an idea in it. Put the transmission in front, in a triangle, which everyone knows is the most rigid shape possible. All the back end has to do is absorb the bumps. I bought the Tolhurst idea in the form of a conversion-kit, because that was the cheapest way of experimenting.

After not falling off that, I decided on a Silvio. I thought the V was a bit extreme. I wanted the rough equivalent of my old racer-tourer, not a time-trial thing. The Grasshopper is more of a town-bike. Also, the website said that you can fit a wider choice of components on the S than on the V.

After fighting the conversion-kit, I found the S relatively easy to handle. I think I had the wrong sort of donor. I still ride the Grasshopper but do more mileage on the S. The Grasshopper is more like a bumblebee, so I use it as a packhorse. It is a great load-carrier. The S is more like a dragonfly, so it is my racehorse. Well, I know what I mean.

I keep hearing about people who have about ten HPVs of various varieties. I am really surprised at finding myself with two. My only hope for the future is that I do not acquire another one. I do not want a V. I do not want a V.

Well, maybe just a little go on one. Or a Quest. Or try a wedgie again. You can get an amazing bamboo framed racer. I the Corsa is supposed to be fast. So is the Fujin. I could turn the Silvio into a tilter...

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Riding a CB got me back into

Riding a CB got me back into the two-wheel recumbent world, after ditching them entirely for three years. I simply got tired of the RWD recumbents inability to climb. And I rode and owned just about all of them out there over time.

The Cruzbike simply lets me ride further and faster than any other two-wheeler out there.

I still ride some other two wheelers on occasion, but nothing beats my Cruzbikes.

Robert

Jeremy S

Dude
In 2008 (?) I was just

In 2008 (?) I was just uncomfortable on my DF bike, and thought recumbents looked cool. I was planning to fabricate my own MBB FWD recumbent out of wood, which I'm sure would have been a disaster, until I found Cruzbike online. I bought a Sofrider V2; at the time there was no Quest and no Vendetta, and the Silvio cost more money than I had ever thought to spend on a bike. I really enjoyed the Sofrider and started thinking about a Silvio... A few years later I checked back and saw John's sketches of the Silvio 2.0. I immediately felt I had to have one, so I bought from the first production run. It has been really fun learning about bike assembly and going faster and farther than I thought I could! I never seriously considered the Vendetta, I have no interest in racing or breaking records, while visibility in traffic and suspension for the occasional unavoidable pothole are priorities. I have sometimes felt the desire for more speed (using Strava will do that) and fantasized about a Vendetta, but to tell the truth too much speed scares me on public roads.

Ivan

Guru
I wanted to do long rides

I wanted to do long rides faster and more comfortably in a bike that could handle urban traffic. I have one of the first Silvio 2 bikes and it meets my needs perfectly. At the time it was cheaper than Vendetta so that was part of the reason. I also wasn't sure of Vendetta's lower seat in city traffic and my ability as this was to be first recumbent.

Now I know I could handle V in my city (though I have not tried one) and given the prices now, I would get a Vendetta. Of course I in no way regret my Silvio as it is the bike that has given me the most pleasure and taken me further and faster than I have been before.

Tohopko

leaning

I'm currently leaning toward the Vendetta, but primarily because I don't want the front suspension of the S30. Ideal for me would be a Silvio with a solid front fork and a seat adjustable from 20-27 degrees. Or maybe that is just an adjustable seat V ;).

scabinetguy

Sivetta

Yes the Silvetta is a nice ride and would suit a lot of riders on this forum. Seems a natural option to offer, no modifications needed, 30 degree seat angle, makes a great climber.