What fenders to go with S40?

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Hi all,

I just took delivery of a new S40. Very nice looking... now just need to practice riding!

Question on fenders. Mine come with disc brakes, so the brake bolt holes are taken up. What fenders have you guys installed with your S1, 2, 30, or 40 with disc brakes? I have a set of Planet Bike SpeedEZ from my FD bike and got a new set of Planet Bike Hard Core fenders to try to see which one works. None of them quite fit.. either the fender is too short (if I were to put the front SpeedEZ to the back), or the metal rod support too short, or the front derailleur cable is in the way.

Thanks.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
To avoid the cables or disc brake calipers or any other physically not moving obstacle, most metal rod supports can be bent to go around them. I have one that goes around a front brake caliper on my mountain bike that is bent like a relaxed capital "L" with the very top of the "L" at a slightly bent fender attachment point and the bottom is bolted to the proper location at the bottom of the front fork/shock. Alternatively, there are aluminum tubes like glorified washers that you can use as spacers with longer bolts to move the attachment points out away from the eyelets where the bolts attach so that you get more clearance from things that would otherwise be right in the way of the metal support rod.

Let us know how you make out, and with pictures especially if you have specific questions that someone here may be able to diagnose that way and when you have success, please document so others can follow in your pioneering footsteps!

BikeGary

This won't help right now, but there is a kickstarter.com project for mud guards that might work if you only need fenders occasionally. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/236528337/quickguard-full-length-bicycle-mudguard

On my DF bike, I used P-clips to hold the fenders in position, with a couple of zip ties. There are a variety of sizes so they'll fit any frame. Nitto seem to be made of stronger stuff than the ones I picked up at HomeDespot. (Those broke every 3K miles of riding from metal fatigue.) https://www.rivbike.com/products/nitto-band-clamps-pair

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I spent about an hour and got the rear fender half way there. Wife wasn't happy. Had to do some drilling to modify a plastic support piece and bend a metal tab on the fender. I think I have a plan for attaching the metal support rods onto the bike. The metal rods that came with the fenders are a little too short for the new setup. I need about 18-24 in worth of 1/8 in metal rod to make this work. Homedepot/Lowes only sells steel rods which will rust eventually. I may end up getting stainless steel metal rounds on Amazon, except they sell by the pound! Probably will have a lot left over at the end. They are unpolished welding stainless steel rods. I am guessing it will be rough looking but at least won't rust.

I also like the p-clamp idea and will explore that more.

Once I get closer to setting it up, I will post pictures.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I am finally done putting the fenders on the S40. It took me about 6 hours over several days of trial and error. I hope this post will save people a lot of time in the future.

Parts:
1. Fenders: thanks to Robert at Rose City Recumbent. Use this fender: http://www.axiomgear.com/products/fenders/full-coverage-fenders/roadrunner-ar-trekk/ I got it on eBay for $25 shipped.
2. Cat eye clamps, more machine screws - ask Rose City Recumbent to mail them to you- $15.
3. To save you some possible grief (about 1.5 hours for me), order https://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/vo-fender-stay-mount-for-eyeletless-frames-4mm-qr.html just in case the QR fitting for the rear fender doesn't work. I think this is around $10 or so shipped. If you get this, I don't believe you need #4.
4. I didn't get #3 because I didn't want to wait for another 1-2 weeks. I ordered these rods ahead of time because I thought a couple of the support rods will be too short. So I used this as substitute. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GJU6EUK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Yes they are stainless steel welding rods 1/8" diameter and 3 ft long. It actually looks identical to the fender rods. I believe if you (or I) have #3, you shouldn't need #4. Anyway, I had to order ONE POUND of rods, because they don't sell only one. So now I have seven 3 ft rods left. If anyone wants to know, stainless steel rods are difficult to bend!!

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Here are the pictures and modifications needed, as the parts are not plug and play. :-(
Back right, when the supplied QR adapter fitting actually works:
back right.jpg

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Back left - the supplied QR fitting couldn't fit flush and had to be turned around. I think the weld on the bike frame was too big. Anyway, I think the other QR fitting in my prior post should work here better and save you lots of time. For me, I had to construct 2 new supports using the SS welding rods. That took quite a while because the rods were hard to bend and hack sawing was involved.

back left close.jpg

back left.jpg

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Front requires lots of mod because the supplied QR fittings don't work with S40 front setup. This is where the cat eye clamps come in to make it nice looking (or you can go to Home Depot and get 3/4" insulated cable clamps in the electrical isle, plus SS screws and nuts).
Problem with the cat eye clamp is that it's rigid round plastic. The post is elliptical. So I had to reshape the clamp. It involves vice grip and a little heating over gas stove burner. :)

clamped cat eye.jpg

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
After you clamp the reshaped clamp on the post, then the rods go onto the screw. Looks pretty professional. However, the rods will be too long and need to be hacksawed though. Then you are done!! I spent a lot of time to get the fenders on as I live in Seattle. Otherwise, forget the fenders!!

front right.jpg

After you clamp the reshaped clamp on the post, then the rods go onto the screw. Looks pretty professional. However, the rods will be too long and need to be hacksawed though. Then you are done!! I spent a lot of time to get the fenders on as I live in Seattle. Otherwise, forget the fenders!!

View attachment 5856

Cpml - Front fender images are not coming up. Can you repost them?

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
That's pretty odd because I am looking at the images in my previous post now. They are all there. Did you try log log in and see if that does anything?

I have the bike on trainer now with no fenders; otherwise I would have sent you a new picture. Sorry!

That's pretty odd because I am looking at the images in my previous post now. They are all there. Did you try log log in and see if that does anything?

I have the bike on trainer now with no fenders; otherwise I would have sent you a new picture. Sorry!

Viewing those photos now. I must have been that I wasn't logged in, but I did see the rear wheel photos before. My puter is on it's last go too, which doesn't help. I am still in the fender accommodation phase. Mine will be slightly different. I'll take some views when completed and post.

I am starting to look info fenders for my S40. This thread is very helpful in finding a set of full fenders and how to possibly fit them.

In the past, I just didn’t ride outside if the weather might turn. I am curious if others have looked at partial fenders such as https://www.woodysfenders.com/category-s/116.htm and what issues we might have with them on an S40. Probably less about the fitting, and more about where the protection of the fender might break down.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Those are absolutely gorgeous. I have looked at them myself and wish they could serve both fashion and function but my conclusion is as follows:

As a commuter who rides in all weather and only finds alternate transportation if cars are sliding on ice/snow or > 4" fresh snow (mountain bike for salt season) and Cruzbikes in all weather Spring, Summer, and Fall, my suggestion is that anything beyond fair-weather riding should be done with full fenders.

Except in the relatively uncommon times when caught in downpour, you will get wetter from water thrown up by the bike than than from any rain coming down from the sky, passing vehicles, etc. You will also get much dirtier from this road water, and it will put grime on your chain and everywhere else. Good full fenders come close to eliminating the grime.

The mud flap on the front fender should go down to 6" from the ground and should curve up to (at least horizontal) beyond the furthest intersection which is bottom bracket on a Cruzbike. The rear wheel should have a full fender from the chain stay around to 6" from the ground to stop spray to the back and head, brakes, and following riders. That prevents spray from being flung up by the tire onto any part of the bike, most importantly drive train, fork bearings, suspension, the rider, and anyone following in a group ride.

A different and geometrically simplified way of looking at it is to take a side view. Water and grime will be grabbed by the tire and thrown up all around it in straight lines from the edge of the tire towards your feet, the chain, etc. once it hits the fender hopefully that is the end of the problem until the fender ends. For the front wheel these fenders will allow your feet, lower leg, drivetrain to collect grime.

FendersUpright.jpeg FendersCruzbike.jpeg

Figure 1 is where I would identify potential problems on an upright, Figure 2 is what I prefer on a Cruzbike. Person in blue, fenders in green, water movement in orange.

All that being said, those are beautiful wood work and if you are going for aesthetics they will make for a work of art. My thought is that fenders need to curve around the tire a little bit, not to catch the spray but to contain it as it runs down the remainder of the fender so it doesn't just splash off the fender and still get your feet for example. This last comment is not based on any empirical evidence but is my supposition.

YMMV

Bill K

Guru
I had a partial fender on the back tire of my V20 (a cut up Planet Bike fender). It really sucked in the rain, or even if it was not raining but the ground was wet. The partial fender did not completely block the "rooster tail" spray from the rear tire, and it was like a fire-hose spraying cold dirty water onto the back of your head. Did I mention that it really sucked?!
The higher seat angle on the S40 will prevent most of that because your head is much further from the wheel so maybe it would be ok.
I have full fenders on my S40 and I am really happy with them (Velo Orange Zeppelin). It's my all-season commuter (except when there is ice on the ground).
Also, if you go on group rides and expect others to draft you, a full rear fender with mud flap is essential for their protection.

+1 on benphyr's analysis.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
... "rooster tail" spray from the rear tire, and it was like a fire-hose spraying cold dirty water onto the back of your head. Did I mention that it really sucked?!...
Thanks Bill K. One clarification from riding face-down cycles (err diamond frame)... water/yuck spray from the rear wheel has plenty momentum to get the whole back and rear of head/helmet when riding diamond frame so it certainly will be hitting your head if you don't have the fender go at least past the tangential line from tire to rear of helmet. Somehow it always seems that the fender needs to go significantly past this point in order to stop the spray. The seat back will save you from a lot if you are caught out in the rain without fenders but won't do anything to keep everything clean nor keep your shoulders, neck, and head clean/dry.

Happy trails and enjoy every ride (and less cleaning):)

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I HATE mudguards. The only thing I hate more is not having mudguards. I had to make mudguards for my Silvio. Very complicated to get them to fit on. I even had to file the frame. They are yet to break or fall off or even start rattling. This is astonishing. I took my front hub apart and converted it to XX1. I thought that was going to be complicated. The cable of the Rohloff of my Grasshopper broke. I got a new one and fitted it. That was complicated. But mudguards? Absolute PIG to make work.

Now they are probably going to get stuck in the wheel and fold up and cause me to crash.