What handlebar comes with the current Silvio?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
As far as I can tell Same custom one as always just photographed from a unique angle. Handlebars are funny there is almost no good angle to photograph them from

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Currently the new S30 comes with the same stock bar as before. But stay tuned as another bar will be coming as an upgrade - and will eventually find its way to become the new standard bar.

Robert

hoyden

Tuning my Silvio 30 is an iterative process. This weekend I rotated the bar ends forward about 30 degrees to eliminate the bend between the wrist and arm. I liked the new position except that it brought my arms more forward as a result. Then I slid the boom back about 2" and liked the new position. Except. My hands are higher up and I am thinking the fit would be perfect if I could drop the grip height about 2-3". Here is the view I see looking forward.
bars.jpeg
My thinking is if the bars didn't swoop up at the ends and just came straight out and then down they would be at an ideal height and grip/wrist orientation. Is this a reasonable analysis? Are there bars folks can recommend that would give me the desired orientation? I found these on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Origin8-Bull...=1467767475&sr=8-2&keywords=origin-8+bullhorn
Would these work or are there other options? Reading over this thread plus the bullhorn-and-dropbar-options thread left me feeling a bit unsure what to do.

ratz

My thinking is if the bars didn't swoop up at the ends and just came straight out and then down they would be at an ideal height and grip/wrist orientation. Is this a reasonable analysis? Are there bars folks can recommend that would give me the desired orientation?

Given your height you are probably a candidate to install a stem extender to raise the entire boom; then rotate the handle bars back to a more forward position. Here the picture of the one @Abbott Smith added to his Vendetta. Same principle applies to the Silvio.

http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/sizing-conundrum.8615/#post-111752

hoyden

Given your height you are probably a candidate to install a stem extender to raise the entire boom; then rotate the handle bars back to a more forward position.
Okay, I am confused. I looked over the thread. I can't seem to wrap my mind around raising the entire boom higher than it already is. When I rotate the bars back then that introduces a bend at the wrist, which I read was not good. With my latest configuration my wrists and arms are in alignment, there is about a 90 degree bend at the elbow, and my upper arms are parallel with my torso and slightly above it. My thinking was if my grip was lower then my elbows would drop down and align mid-torso and I could use the elbows to stabilize the arms. What am I missing?

ratz

It could just be confusion on my part of your photo;

The rotation on those bars looked like you needed to raise them to get what you wanted. If that was the case then you can raise the boom to accomplish the same thing.
If you need them lower then their are other changes that would do that.

Got an side photos of your arm position? That would probably clear things up. Really shouldn't be necessary to put the bars that vertically; I know others do it; but it shouldn't be required, should be going for this sort of position.... for more elbow bend we bring the boom back closer to the shoulder and rotate them forward just a touch.

Note this is the Curved Slider; and a fully cut down fork stem; so this would be the reverse of the stem extender option.

These handle bars are the Salsa wood chippers

Frame-04-07-2016-10-22-51 (1).jpg

hoyden

I will get a side picture today. Comparing with your picture my bars are closer to my body and their upward swoop elevates my grip resulting in more elbow bend.

hoyden

Here is a side picture. I was not able to be in the picture but comparing, my grip is higher. The bar grips appear to be in a similar position relative to the seat. The up-swoop of my bars is quite noticeable in comparison. I like the bars in your picture and will investigate Salsa wood chippers.

Who makes up these handle bar names?
image3.jpeg

My setup looks similar to yours. My boom length should be 30" by the fit suggestions. It is 34" so I need to cut my boom to get closer to the pic provided by Ratz. Maybe check your boom length? Interesting head rest! Ingenuity is best.

On a separate note...I am hoping today's mail brings my shortened cranks.

ratz

Here is a side picture. I was not able to be in the picture but comparing, my grip is higher. The bar grips appear to be in a similar position relative to the seat. The up-swoop of my bars is quite noticeable in comparison. I like the bars in your picture and will investigate Salsa wood chippers.

Who makes up these handle bar names?
View attachment 2829

I'm thinking that chainstay extension; or a curved slider might be your future. An extension would get the feet a little higher; you have the long term recumbent experience to handle that;not 100% sure those are still available but a 100mm extension would be appropriate for people 6ft+. Meanwhile a curved slider would bring the handle bars down lower while leaving the feet the same. if you like that power of the feet being low. Both can be combined on the same bike assuming there is room in the cockpit for the rider to be comfortable getting on and off the bike; that becomes personal preference.

The wood chippers would get your brifters pointed much more forward and that would let you bring the angle down.

Fine tuning fit is a fun thing and it unfortunately takes time. The photo of Pluckblond that I posted still needs work. She wants the handlebars about 5cm further back, but of course I cabled it with different handle bars to start with; so now I have to get all new cabling and redo it. I also need to make the boom about 5mm longer to and then she's going to be mad at me because it will feel different than what she adjusted to. But Here's the key point in mentioning that. IF it's not comfortable keep tweaking in small increments until you get it the way you like it, Health and Comfort should trump everything else.

hoyden

I'm thinking that chainstay extension; or a curved slider might be your future.
I read the description for the curved slider and its purpose to lower the bars would help. My slider is already curved like the one in the picture. Is the curved one even more curved? I can see how a chainstay extension could also help although I don't see one available. I will ask.

I would prefer not to have to change the bars. They are wrapped so nicely and I know I will never get them that nice.

Fine tuning fit is a fun thing and it unfortunately takes time.
I am experiencing the tuning iteration and it is fun. I can see what I want just not quite sure how best to get there. I appreciate your perspective and will follow up. Although the bars are higher than I would like the bike is eminently ridable and much better tuned to me.

Interesting head rest! Ingenuity is best.
Homebrew, fasure. I had the Adel clamps and tubing; just had to buy the swim noodle (available in many colors). With a comfortable head rest I was able to ditch the rolled up towel headrest that also gave me a more upright riding position.

ratz

I read the description for the curved slider and its purpose to lower the bars would help. My slider is already curved like the one in the picture. Is the curved one even more curved?

The part by the pedal is the boom; they are all curved like that.
The slider is the part by the handle bars. they made a curved version to low the handle bars
Curved slider looks like this when install. If I recall correctly it give you about a 60-65mm drop depending on leg length and boom position.

DSC05876.jpg

hoyden

Cured slider looks like this when install.
Ah! That would do the trick and 60-65mm drop would help a lot with the current bars. I have a request in for the chainstay extension. One or both on the horizon.

RAR

Currently the new S30 comes with the same stock bar as before. But stay tuned as another bar will be coming as an upgrade - and will eventually find its way to become the new standard bar.

Robert
Robert, can you give us any more info on the new bar ? When is it going to be available, what's it made of, the same shape or something different? Does it smell fast ?
Did I leave anything out?

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The new bar will be a near clone of the Woodchipper II bar, with a few slight changes to the width and length. I have tested it at length and it rocks.

Robert