What I did Today to prepare for Sebring 2018

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
You almost took out Jim Parker in that video. Hate to see you more twitchy and unstable with full drops. </teasing you>
You must be referring to the "turn-around" at Sebring last year in the first Century. That was not because of my handlebars, but because I was in a gear too big and started from a dead stop and had to turn and go other way, and probably not paying good enough attention. Yes - it probably would have been even worse with drops! haha. o_O:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I hate that turn around. One year before I went down in the sand of the edge of the road. This year I am going to try and be the first one there so I do not get caught up in all the traffic. :D

LarryOz

Yes, Over the years Larry has been called Fast, a beast, a gentleman, handsome, smart , witty, and many other things but never, never, "stable".
So funny - unfortunately my wife would agree. :eek: as I have more than my share of accidents and strange injuries both on and off the bike! :rolleyes:
However I submit this little video of a ride a couple years ago in my defense showing my stability when riding with my stubby bars. See when I let go with one hard, pull my water bottle from the boom, unlock it, drink from it, look at it, put it back, mess with my Garmin, all while going ~27mph - without missing a beat or weaving back and forth. Enjoy.

LarryOz

OK - Who's going to Sebring this year and what are you riding?
I heard rumors that Jason would not make it, and Bob & Tanya not too - and possibly Hardy too. "you slackers" :confused::eek::rolleyes:
Jason and Pankratz off the hook due to distance, but Hope that is not true Hardy - you guys are too close not to go! haha
If you need a place to sleep you can use my van (don't worry - I fixed the leaking problem! :rolleyes:
So, no more backouts allowed
So - who is still going and what event are you riding?
Larry - Century this year
Kyle - Century
Jesse - ???
Jim P. - Century
Maria P - ???
Ben - ??
Kevin - 12 hour
Ken - 24 hour

Tigerpaw

I’m going to be a no show this year as well. The creeping crud that has been going around has taken 3ish weeks of riding away and zapped my energy. So, there is a room available at the Chateau Elan due to my cancellation.

LarryOz

I’m going to be a no show this year as well. The creeping crud that has been going around has taken 3ish weeks of riding away and zapped my energy.
You guys are killing me!! :eek::(
Sorry to hear it though - get well soon.
You could still just come and ride the Century at whatever pace you can ride - just to be there!

CruzLike

Guru
Last night was a busy night. I had a long night to focus on assembling my bike further. I needed to run brake lines and confirm my back wheel fit well.
You would think that was 30mins. work.
A month ago I bought parts and built a wheel. While building the wheel I wanted to use the back "fork" as a truing stand. When the spokes were loose, the spokes rubbed the disc brake caliper. No worries, when the spokes are straight there will be plenty of clearance. Last night was the first time to check this out. The spokes still rubbed. As I looked at the hub, the distance from the face of the 6 bolt disc and the spoke flange (not sure of the correct lingo) was smaller than other hubs I had to compare to. I guess this hub is intended to go on the front where you might run a larger dia. disc. Thus giving you clearance to the spokes. The 140mm disc does not work. There are many solutions. The one I'm pursuing, is to replace the hub with another. I want to use the 140mm disc. If plan "A" doesn't work. "B & C" might be, run a larger disc, or no brakes at all (a short term fix only). In a few days I will get the new hub.

This part may go under "Innovators Workshop" I've read that sweat and rain runs down the headrest tubes and collects in the frame. I'm testing a solution to this issue. I added a rubber "O" ring on each tube. This is not a seal, but a drip lip. The moisture will drip off the "O" ring easier than going around the "O" ring and continuing into the frame. Project cost, 80 cents.

Jesse Groves

OK - Who's going to Sebring this year and what are you riding?
I heard rumors that Jason would not make it, and Bob & Tanya not too - and possibly Hardy too. "you slackers" :confused::eek::rolleyes:
Jason and Pankratz off the hook due to distance, but Hope that is not true Hardy - you guys are too close not to go! haha
If you need a place to sleep you can use my van (don't worry - I fixed the leaking problem! :rolleyes:
So, no more backouts allowed
So - who is still going and what event are you riding?
Larry - Century this year
Kyle - Century
Jesse - ???
Jim P. - Century
Maria P - ???
Ben - ??
Kevin - 12 hour
Ken - 24 hour

I plan on doing the century Larry; hard not to when I live only an hour away. You're not planning on running a front disc, right?

Race setup with the Rojo homemade covers:
View media item 336

super slim

Zen MBB Master
You have Tiger paw and Gasman who will also be doing the 12 hour. We will be cheering for all of you and look forward to the after race reports. It was a hard decision between the 300K brevet in Gainesville or Sebring for Team Moose. But since we are exploring a PBP 2019 possibility the 300K was the logical choice. It is a lot cheaper and a successful ride counts towards an early registration.

Bringing out all the Rando equipment has us fired up for a ride change. Check out the carrying capacity of the Vendetta below. Who says you can't carry stuff on sa Vendetta? With the Moose pockets, Moose purse, and Apidura pack you have enough room for a Continental crossing. And if the Cruzbike wind tunnel results are accurate it should even improve the aerodynamics!

300k-e1516891653706.jpg
What is the total volume of storage??

CruzLike

Guru
Today was an amazing day on the bike.
Last weekend I had some brutally long training rides that really challenged me. After 3 hours of riding, I was scratching the bottom of my energy reserve.
Today's ride was very much like the rides last week. They both had varying wattage of 15min. segments. Todays was only 4hrs long. I rode it "coast to coast" non-stop. These results give me renewed confidence in my riding potential.
Two weeks ago I really questioned my bodies response to the training. My legs felt like mush. Since I began my daily magnesium tablets, my legs have been on the mend. I fell like the wheels are back on the track.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Well this sucks. We are tapping out from Sebring too. Works been a beast; and after 8 days of missed training and other up coming conflicts; we won't be making the trip down this years event fitness won't justify the week of travel, time away from the office and the expenses. So time to refocus on the shorter summer time events this year.

NH24C? The way they do timing tends to slow you down a bit but the event has been well run and fun the 2 times I've done it. Some fun rollers on the 24 mile loop. Weather can be dicey - from marvelous to thunderstorms that have on ocassion shut things down for several hours.

-Eric

LarryOz

NH24C? The way they do timing tends to slow you down a bit but the event has been well run and fun the 2 times I've done it. Some fun rollers on the 24 mile loop. Weather can be dicey - from marvelous to thunderstorms that have on ocassion shut things down for several hours.
Compared to Sebring the NH24C course it a "killer" course, plus the weather can be brutally hot and humid and there is a lot of climbing (known as hills) especially in that first 100 miles. I wore myself out in the heat and almost dropped dead from heat-stroke after covering the first 300 miles in 15 hours. I really hated the goofy way they make you stop and "punch" your card at the "time stations" too. Especially at the school when they have you stop on a slightly uphill grade. Still, it is nicely run and very well attended. Joe rides it every year and loves it!