what to wear?

Don1

Guru
just curious.... whilst saving up for a vendetta..... what clothing is worn whilst riding? we have beautiful cruzbike jerseys, obviously, shoes n socks n gloves n helmets translate from the df but shorts/longs?... i suspect traditional bibshorts have chomois and padding in the wrong place .... so whats the go?

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
You buy cycling short with no padding, or pull the padding/chamois out of existing.
It is not bad unless you sweat a lot, then it soaks it up and you get the equivalent of "diaper rash"!:eek:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
just curious.... whilst saving up for a vendetta..... what clothing is worn whilst riding? we have beautiful cruzbike jerseys, obviously, shoes n socks n gloves n helmets translate from the df but shorts/longs?... i suspect traditional bibshorts have chomois and padding in the wrong place .... so whats the go?

Depends on the cut of the chomois; some don't get in the way; and can manage sweat; as as well dealing with modesty issues; These work well as most of the pad is rearward and give your tailbone some extra padding. The cuff on the leg works great at keeping them in place on the leg in the wind; and they integrate well with sun leggings. These are a good choice when I have to ride with the daughters or at group events.
http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Izumi-Elite-R-Cool-Shorts/dp/B00LFITFFM

Tri Shorts IMHO are better if you want to basically have no a most no padding, they are cut assuming you'll running and then riding in the aero position so they have little to no pad, they are thin and are meant to be swam in and then rapid dry.
http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Izumi-Elite-R-Cool-Shorts/dp/B009VU9N3A

If I ride long and exhausting stuff in the heat; I've taken to wearing these over the tri shorts;
http://www.amazon.com/POC-Shorts-Armor-Black-Medium/dp/B006L1QI9Y
They have hip crash protection. If I did lay the bike down at speed because of bad luck; these would make sure I don't loose 2 weeks of the season healing. Anything over where it's both over 80 miles and over 75F; I put these on as that's when I've had my issues with pavement over the years.

PluckyBlond is just wearing Women's sliding shorts; that's it. They are thick enough for women and the protection is in the right places for recumbent riding.
http://www.amazon.com/Mizuno-Womens-Fastpitch-Hazard-Sliding/dp/B00NJ1GU42

Inspired by that, This season I'm going to experiment with men's baseball/soccer sliders under other no-pad tri shorts. because of the cup slot not sure they will work solo without a top layer, but I'm waiting for a pair to see for sure.
http://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-Break-Baseball-Slider/dp/B00BUUOAD2
http://www.amazon.com/Storelli-Sports-BodyShield-Sliding-Shorts/dp/B005E7KKWM

2xu their tri stuff is good.
http://www.2xu.com/us/p/elite-compression-short/MA1934b.html

So is Try
http://www.tyr.com/shop/men-s-competitor-9-tri-short.html

Then their is always the bent specific stuff. I've tried a few brands and been really disappoint in the durability. Suffice it to say every pair hit the trash in under 3 months; due to seams that let go or fabric that torn. Sliding down a Ventisit seat over and over again is more than they could handle. Wears I've torn my leg to shreds with Pearl's stuff; and yet the short itself was intact.

SamP

Guru
I wear whatever exercise clothing I feel like instead of padded bike shorts. Yoga shorts are actually pretty good, since they're spandexy close fitting so don't flap around in the wind, though you'll probably have to go looking in the women's sportswear department, men's yoga clothing is pretty sparse on the ground, but I do see some on Amazon. Cheapskate that I am, I've bought some women's yoga shorts from Ross/Marshalls/T. J. Maxx for about $10-$15 per. I also wear running shorts, but they do tend to flap in the wind.

Anyone else want to confess?

ratz

Anyone else want to confess?

Well target no longer makes the boys and girls distinction so you are safe there. Really though who cares who it was designed for it if works, the yoga stuff seems good enough for the grocery store for everyone so why not on the bike. Although there should be a licensing requirement to determine who gets to wear that stuff in public. You have bike you have an excuse; pushing a grocery cart really doesn't pass the mustard.o_O (4 daughters, we ban yoga pants outside of atheletics around here).

Any how silliness aside, The only reason not to go with the cheap gym stuff is that it's meant for 1-3 hours or workout max. If you are sub that time frame I say save the money for N+1 Cruzbikes. But if you are going longer or multi day that's when you want to get into the higher name brand stuff. They really do invest a lot in their anti-microbial tech and long durations is where the micros can bite you in the ass. :eek:. I have a far amount of PI stuff accumulated over the years; I can ride all day and rinse in water; zero odor. I even still have the short from my massive DF crash they are the only thing left that's still functional; although this is probably there last year; they are 10+ years old. Meanwhile my $10 neon yellow safety MTB top from Target, that thing wreaks to high heaven 10 minutes into a ride; which is perfect when riding after dark on the MUPS as it keeps the varmints quivering in fear in the woods. Pull it out of the closet for a group ride and PluckyBlond will give me the big oh no you don't dirty look :) which is of course why I still have it. :rolleyes:

A really good strategy is buy 1 new pair in the spring; then if you like them try and catch them at close out at the end of the season for ⅓ the cost. If you do that over a few years you can build up an inventory that you can rotate. Those "Event" shirts you foolishly paid way to much for; those make great indoor trainer stuff when baggy is good and the fan is too weak.

Great question Don1 !!!!

ratz

DF jerseys have pockets in the back
where our seat backs are,

Hardy did figure out last year that on the S30 and V20 seat they are narrow enough to carry water bottles in those pockets.

He was right.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I wear road cycling jerseys, and long or short bibs depending on time of year. I have a few jerseys with pockets in front, and 30+ with pockets in the back. The pockets in back does not bother me at all. My jackets and thermal jerseys are road cycling. So I would say, if you have a closet full of standard cycling "monkey suits" as my wife calls them, try them out first. Chamois does not bother me either, I'm used to them.

Don1

Guru
awesome responses! i'm a lover of castelli gear. they seem comfy n aero although expensive, the fit/quality/durability is amazing. the chamois is quite slim, so might be ok. im looking at some long nix/jersey for this winter(another aussie) so ill plan to get them chomis free...

hoyden

Not too way down the list why I like recumbents is I didn't need any special biking clothing. Since speed is less important for me than comfort and style, I wear ordinary shorts and a t-shirt. My one concession to bike clothing are clipless pedal sandals. OTOH, it seems like every season I get at least one bee up my shorts leg and then I have the opportunity to rethink my choices. So far I have gritted out the experience and continue wearing ordinary shorts.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
You guys and your gear!
This reads like a fashion show.
O.K., so here's my 'sense of fashion!'

"Not too way down the list why I like recumbents is I didn't need any special biking clothing. Since speed is less important for me than comfort and style, I wear ordinary shorts and a t-shirt."
~ Hoydon

My recumbent experience began like Hoydon's.
Since then, over the years, the relative speed advantage of Cruzbikes reignited my love of speed so,
my t-shirts gave way to thin, brightly coloured wicking jerseys because I was either overheating or freezing in my cotton t-shirts;
-my wool socks gave way to short wicking socks, because all that sweat ... well, it's an improvement;
-a nice, fast, used Vendetta took the old Sofrider's place out on the street, because it's just faster;
-my comfy old ordinary shorts gave way to some sort of bike-specific skin-tight elastic/spandex shorts that were a gift and were, apparently, on sale...
my speed went up a few notches without those legs parachuting the wind.

Seriously, though, if you sweat a lot, consider wearing Headsweats, a sweat band, a skull cap or even a wicking bicycling cap under your helmet.
You know, to keep your brow dry and your eyes sweat-free.
Also, to keep those U.V. rays, the ones that sneak in through your helmet vents, off of your scalp... not that you really need that feature.
Just saying.

Cruzbike Chris

Good question, love the responses. I started pretty much like most, regular gym shorts and t-shirt then wanted to take advantage of the go fast Cruzbike way and shed sweat weight with wicking clothing. I now wear traditional bike shorts like these http://www.amazon.com/Coolflo-Panel...1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage and cutout the pad and keep pad in a few for cooler days. I also wear 3 pocket back jersey and have no problem using the outer 2 for phone, lip balm, gum and fuel. Colder days is a little different, I wear these and love them http://www.amazon.com/Baleaf-Therma...1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
I always wear a skull cap u dear my helmet and never have to worry about sweat in my eyes.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
You can buy Kalenji running shorts from Decathlon for about 34 euros. So good they are my second pair. They have lasted me 18 months and the ventisit seat pad eventually wears any fabric out. I don't like using chamois bib shorts on the Cruzbike. You get plenty of wind blasting your vitals so be free and enjoy the comfort. I also like the reflective strips. There is a zip pocket at the back. They aren't short short... the length of these running shorts come below the knee. I like the extra support they give, they are a little expensive than most running shorts but there is better stitching for comfort for the vitals. I use these 11 months of the year. Hope that helps.
IMG_1581.PNG

Last edited:

Don1

Guru
lol. ive been very impressed with your strava profile.... and mow of course... its obvious... nude... i all makes sense now