wheel upgrade to my V2.0

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Finally got my 88mm Carbon FIber Wheel set.
Bike looks fast just sitting there!
I have not ridden on them yet, but hope to in the next week, and will provide comparison data..
(Once again, no way to attach a photo to this first thread of a post - not sure why)
so, see below

LarryOz

Rick,
I have: Continental

Rick,
I have: Continental Grand Prix 4000 S II on them with latex tubes.
Still have not been able to run a field test yet, but am hoping to tomorrow. It is supposed to be really nice weather.
Based on others results, I am anticipating about 1/2 mph gain in the 20 mph range.
My last field test (5 mins on Sept 30) with the V2.0 (using MAVIC wheelset), was 196 watts at 23.2 MPH.
fyi: The same test 3 days earlier on the S2.0 was same 196 watts for 5 minutes, and 19.6 mph.
A gain of 3.6 mph for same wattage. Kind of incredible really. I wish I had more data points to compare the V & S, but can only do the V now.
I will post the results.
Larry

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I'm not very good with these

I'm not very good with these watts to speed calculators thingies but when I punch in a 180 lb rider and 197 watts with a 5 min 19.6 mph it puts your Silvios' drag somewhere between a road biker on his hoods and a mountain biker. I hope my Silvio is a bit more aero than that?

BBL

Larry .....
I had collected

Larry .....
I had collected drag data on the S1.5 and S2.0 awhile back. I think your S2.0 data point is in the ball park compared to my data for the S2.0.

Equipment and bicycle maintenance will affect this curve more than most people may imagine, right down to the type of chain lube you use. Also this type of data is subject to considerable variability. So all considered, I think your data point is quite reasonable, maybe just a little slower than my curve predicts. My wheels may have been a bit faster than your Mavics, too.

Buddy

BBL%20Drag%20Data.jpg

LarryOz

Thanks Buddy

I went out and rode my V2.0 and tested with my Mavic wheelset with Gator tires, against my new CF 88mm rims with Cont- 4000S II tires. I was riding on the outer lane of the high school track, so nice and flat. Worst thing was the 10 mph wind, but it was pretty steady at least.
I was pretty happy with the results: less wattage, lower HR, faster speed.
Here are the results.
2104.11.11%20test.JPG

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Nice improvements.

Nice improvements.

2 Questions:

What size are the Mavics? 50 mm or low profile?

Did the 88's get pushed around in the wind.

Might be interesting to test with one type on back and the other on the front; then flip it. That would tell which wheel is benefiting the most.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Might be interesting to test

Might be interesting to test with one type on back and the other on the front; then flip it. That would tell which wheel is benefiting the most.

Oooooooohhhh! I like that idea a lot!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
ssshhhhh

Oooooooohhhh! I like that idea a lot!

Just don't tell Chung and Steamer they'd never approve.

LarryOz

Bob,
The Mavic wheel set is

Bob,
The Mavic wheel set is OpenPro, with Ultegra Hub, Gatorskin tire, regular tubes
Just a basic run of the mill training wheel really.
Not nearly as nice as what I had on my Silvio (Velocity A23 with disk rotor), but I did not really want disk brakes on the Vendetta, so I traded them with the frame. Kind of double guessing that decision now, but oh well.
So, not a wonder why the CF 88's performed so much better, really.
No, I did not really notice any issue with the wind.
I really want to wait for another nice day (no winds) and do all manners of front, rear, swaps and see what those numbers show.
Also, looking for a rear disc (non-drive) wheel too to test with.
Considering getting just a wheel cover, but if I can find something reasonable (~$500 range), I just might get it.

Larry

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Hey Larry another thing that

Hey Larry another thing that may impede the comparison is, I believe the GP 4000S II with less rolling resistance are a faster tire than the Gator's.

scabinetguy

Rolf wheels

I used Rolf Prima Vigor wheels for years. Very fast and durable, also easy to true up if you happen to do a swan dive over the handle bars after locking up the front wheel ( on my Silvio 1.5 ). I would not recommend the Prima Vigor SL because the side wall dents very easily...Steve