Where are all the recumbents?

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Wow - That a bunch of bikes behind you!
You should have taken your V with you!
Here's to your safe return! Not sure when you are getting back - but they are forecasting temps in the 20's for Saturday night! brrr..
I'll have a new toy to play with too by the time you get home. :)

VenRiderGuy

I think it's your hat that accounts for the lack of bent sightings....too intimidating for those not riding Cruzbikes. By the way...nice hat!

LarryOz

Alright Larry, what's the new toy?
Rick, I just don't know if it would be right to highjack Gary's post like that, but I guess I started it - and I'm sure Gary won't mind.
Well, a little while ago I posted on "another" forum that I wondered if anyone had one of those Zockra FWD-MBB bikes that Malric made, because I would be interested in getting one to test with.
I did not get anyone to give me a good answer, except it would be easier to test drive an Unicorn - so I guess that means rare.
Anyway, someone did email me and said they had a "Zockra Clone" that someone else had built and he purchased.
He said it was almost impossible to ride because of the very steep head tube angle of about 40 degrees.
Anyway one thing let to another and he decided to loan it to me for the winter to test with.
I just got it yesterday and put it together today.
Here is it - a one of a kind!Zockra 1-s.jpg

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Rick, I just don't know if it would be right to highjack Gary's post like that, but I guess I started it - and I'm sure Gary won't mind.
Well, a little while ago I posted on "another" forum that I wondered if anyone had one of those Zockra FWD-MBB bikes that Malric made, because I would be interested in getting one to test with.
I did not get anyone to give me a good answer, except it would be easier to test drive an Unicorn - so I guess that means rare.
Anyway, someone did email me and said they had a "Zockra Clone" that someone else had built and he purchased.
He said it was almost impossible to ride because of the very steep head tube angle of about 40 degrees.
Anyway one thing let to another and he decided to loan it to me for the winter to test with.
I just got it yesterday and put it together today.
Here is it - a one of a kind!View attachment 1517
Well? Can you ride it?

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Here is it - a one of a kind!
Nice. I am really interested how it rides. I mean wheel flop pedal steer etc.
I can compare V20 to Hungarian traction directé homebuilts. Vendetta has superior handling. Huge part of this superior handling is wide handlebars.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Non-hijack of thread: I did the London Critical Mass a few times on my Grasshopper and there was always a few 'bents there. And hand-bikes.

Hijack of thread: That Zockra is too low for the cracked, cratered and speed-bumped streets of London.

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
That sure ain't no Zockra in the aesthetics. Mr Zockra would pull his hair out at the inference.

LarryOz

Apparently the guy build it from pictures he saw of a similar Zockra online. It is quite impressive what he managed to do by himself.
Obviously it is not all nice and pretty and refined aesthetically as Zockra's creations.
I have not even been able to ride it yet - I just got it together yesterday.
The cranks are 170's - OUCH for me. I can barely pedal all the way around
And it is not a compact crankset either (so can't stick my 140 as chain ring will be too small - but maybe for a test?? who knows), so first order of business is to get a new set of cranks that I can tap down at 140.
Even so, I just might take it down to the track this weekend if the weather is nice.

Yes, these bike are so low, the only real place for them is on a trail or the track.
It would be certain death riding on the highway here! :(

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
That's a nice low racer, Mr. Larry!
The low ones are fun to learn to balance.

When you're up to speed on that bike, try comparing running times with the suspension
to running times with the suspension locked out.
To my eye, it looks like rear pogoing under power will suck some energy.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
And it is not a compact crankset either (so can't stick my 140 as chain ring will be too small - but maybe for a test?? who knows), so first order of business is to get a new set of cranks that I can tap down at 140.
Larry, is it a square taper crankset?

LarryOz

Larry, is it a square taper crankset?
Not sure and it is not with me now. It just appeared to have regular looking "bolt" on each of the ends that you would remove with a socket. I'll take some close-up pictures when I get home and post them.

Apollo

Not sure and it is not with me now. It just appeared to have regular looking "bolt" on each of the ends that you would remove with a socket. I'll take some close-up pictures when I get home and post them.
Square-taper but probably not a one-key release if it requires a socket, which means you might need a crank extractor tool. Not something that most people have handy nowadays.