Where are all the recumbents?

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Is the chainring home-made? I think it is square taper. What is wrong with square taper? My Grasshopper is square taper.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Larry, is it a square taper crankset?
Rick - It's is an RX100 - if that helps.
Here are pictures of both sides. They are 170's - wow - way to long for my midget legs!ZC crank-l.jpg ZC crank-r.jpg

As far as the large ring. It looks custom - but does have 64 stamped on it!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=1A4FEFED-B79F-4AF1-8DD5-6FC9CF1811CC&Enum=115

Its a RX100 Shimano square drive, so any 140 mm shortened square drive crankset will fit.

BikeSmith Design can shorten and existing suitable square drive crankset for $59
http://www.bikesmithdesign.com/Short_Cranks/shorten.html

I do not know why the BB is an eccentric, as 6 or 12 mm of movement is not much for seat to BB adjustment!

Have you tried to ride it yet???
Is there any video of your attempt, as a wise man once said, "Unless there is Video or Photo proof, it did not happen!!!"

Apollo

Larry, haven't you fabricated custom variable-length crank arm adapters? Can you use them temporarily until you get another crank better suited to your needs?

I do not know why the BB is an eccentric, as 6 or 12 mm of movement is not much for seat to BB adjustment!
Normally they're used for fine-tuning chains on fixed-gear applications. Maybe the builder needed that extra adjustment for reach without swapping cranks. Some people can feel small adjustments.

LarryOz

I am planning on going out and trying to ride it tomorrow at the track after church.
I've already got my VIRB camera mounted on the handlebar stem, and my wife is also going to video me with another camera from the sideline.
I can't wait to see what happens, especially since the maker and the other owner both said it took them a long time to learn to ride it - One thing for sure, if I fall, I don't have far to go!
I can just barely spin the cranks with the 170's (toes pointed as far as possible).
Rick found a pair of 145's in his "parts bin", and is going to send them to me on Monday - so that will help a lot. (Thanks Rick!)

Manana!

BentAero

The big chain ring is required in part because of the small diameter drive wheel. Think gear inches. It's also not intended to go slow.

LarryOz

This thread is "officially" hi-jacked for good now (no sense in starting a new thread I guess) - Sorry Gary!

Well, I did it.
I took Ken's (prototype FWD-MBB - Zockra Clone = ZC) bike to my "super secret test facility" Sunday afternoon after church and rode it for about 5 minutes.
I had my VIRB camera on the front and taped the whole thing.
I missed the first 10 seconds and had a funny time trying to get going with one foot clipped in, but once I got going it wasn't too bad
It was really hard to pedal the 170mm cranks. I could just barely reach that far. I need to loosen and rotate the eccentric BB holder, and that should give me about 3/4", plus I am looking for another set of cranks that I can shorten down to 140 or 150's. Then it will be much easier to ride. (Great new: Rick just informed me he has a set of square taper 145 cranks and will be sending them to me soon! Thanks Rick - that will help for sure!) Those 2 changes should give me about 2", which I think will be great!

I got it up to about 20mph, at about 65rpm I think. I had my Tannus solid wheel on the back which gives about a 2 mph drag, but at least no worries for flats.
I did not put my power meter pedals on yet, so I do not know what kind of power output I was giving it. That will be for next time too.

Here is a link to the video I took from the front of the bike, enjoy:

I also had my wife videoing me on my smartphone from the track bleachers, and she did get the first 10 seconds!
Just watched it again - haha - What a trip! Like I said it was pretty funny the first 10 seconds or so, but after I got going is felt fine.
Here is a like to the video from the bleachers:

Enjoy laughing at Larry try something new - hehe

p.s. Yeah - I couldn't fit into my body armor suite previously shown. Since I've been going to the gym I guess I've put on some more upper body muscle (and no - no show and tell this time). :)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Larry, VERY good riding, even the first wobbly bit, which I think was due more to the BB being too far away from you than anything!

Once you have the 140 cranks, and the BB moved back 3/4" to suit your long legs, it will be VERY interesting to see what you think of the bike!!!