Where exactly does the boom clamp go?

counterpoint

From the images I can't tell where exactly the boom clamp goes.
Should its lower ring be on the base boom and the upper on the sliding boom?
Or fully on the sliding boom?
If the latter, somewhere in the middle or close to the end?
Does it matter?

defjack

Zen MBB Master
  It goes on the end of the

It goes on the end of the boom. There is a little lip on the clamp where it meets the slider.

counterpoint

thanks

Thanks, that was helpful. Putting this weird Silvio together is a challenge. I pity the people who just let their regular bike shop do it where they charge by the hour.

I just picked up my Silvio

I just picked up my Silvio from the bike shop. They charged me $600 labor to put it together.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Surely you're joking!

That shop must be looking at you as a one time customer and has a inherent hate for recumbents. No other way to put it than you have been taken advantage of. Just so we know, where is this shop at and who is it?

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
$600?! Unethical, to say the least.

AggieRay74:
I
could almost understand $100 for assembly of the Silvio because it is an involved assembly, but the shop was wrong in overcharging you. I don't care how many hours of labour it took to get the job done. Did the shop at least give you a proper estimate to start?

Jeremy S

Dude
I was quoted almost $200 for

I was quoted almost $200 for recumbent assembly by a well-known local bike shop (not much more than their recumbent tuneup cost), but was told it would depend on the difficulty level. I opted to do the assembly myself and I'm glad I did.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
At $60 an hour that is ten

At $60 an hour that is ten hours to complete! Any bike store that takes 10 hours to complete a Silvio will not get near mine. Curious if they Faced and chased the frame? This is a good place to plug recumbent dealers like Vite Bikes. If you are a first time recumbent rider and uncomfortable in DIY these recumbent experts are really worth the time. Why-- well buy from them and they custom fit out of the box.
Saves, money, time, parts, and you get more watts on the road sooner. Proper fit is every bit important as it is on the DF and fit doesn't just mean how comfortable you may feel on the seat. This is my opinion, no animals were hurt during the typing.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
That includes components I

That includes components I suppose. Would be nice to have the break down of frame assembly versus adding components.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I'm taking his post to mean

I'm taking his post to mean he was charged $600 for labor. To me this means the price for putting the bike together from the box to a ridable recumbent. All other necessary components were supplied or came at an additional price. But yes, if he received parts at a giveaway price the cost may not be so bad.

I don't know if Ray is just

I don't know if Ray is just being nice and doesn't want to say anything bad about the shop, but I chatted with him a few times (and showed him my Cruzbikes before he decided to buy one). I know that doesn't include components. He got Di2. Maybe it included a little bit of extra cabling or something else though.

scabinetguy

Shop time

I was in the cabinet industry for 35 years. If someone came to me to work on a cabinet that they had not purchased from me, I would charge at least 80$ an hour. My Silvio took about 6 hours to complete, from start to handlebar tape. These people are in buisness to make money , not to do favors. They also have to warranty the work, pay insurance,rent,workers comp, and the electric bill. I know it's Christmas but give me a break.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
$80 bucks an hour is a fair

$80 bucks an hour is a fair price for a skilled mechanic to put together a Silvio. The issue is at $600 bucks that's says he took 7.5 hours. Most of your money went to teaching him how to put it together. You are right "its Christmas but give me a break."

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
$80 bucks an hour is a fair

$80 bucks an hour is a fair price for a skilled mechanic to put together a Silvio. The issue is at $600 bucks that's says he took 7.5 hours. Most of your money went to teaching him how to put it together.

You're right. It appears that he charged as if he was skilled labor, but it shouldn't take skilled labor 7 1/2 hours to put a Silvio together.

I guess the moral of the story is, for anybody using a shop to put their Cruzbike together, get a completely quote up front.

counterpoint

I'm not surprised

I'm not surprised it took so long, "skilled mechanic" or not.
I found the assembly instructions to be difficult to follow because I wasn't always able to a) identify which parts were which (because I'd never heard of such a part) and b) because I wasn't always sure which way a part went in. You can't speed through a guessing game and you're going to make mistakes which cost time - I did.
On Monday I'll find out how much the installation of the brake and shift cables cost me...

Ivan

Guru
Sounds like I had more fun

Sounds like I had more fun putting it together WITHOUT the manual as mine was one of the very first few. Given that I had never put a bike together before, the most being maintenance and some cable and shifter replacement, I think if you are comfortable with an Allen key and around bike parts you could do it yourself in about 10 hours and get a better result than a third party.

One time consuming part was simply getting the cables run perfectly and cut to the exact length I wanted for neat cable runs. A shop can't do that for you as it depends on your boom length and handlebar setup.