Which Pedals For Silvio?

Rposar

I have been trying different pedal configurations on my Silvio. I have used dual sided SPD pedals and regular EggBeater 3's. I am using a MTB type shoe with a very rigid botton and the EggBeater Shoe Shields. I love the EggBeater 3's except that I can't seem to get them adjust for easy clip in. I love the float and the easy clip out, but for some reason have a real problem finding the clip in area. I was wondering what others are using? Does anyone have opinions about either the Candy's or the Mallets? Would that make for better starts/clipping in? I am about to try SpeedPlay Frog's again. It has been a while and I honestly can't remember why I replaced them with the SPD's. Any thoughts / suggestions would be appreciated.

kenhardwick

SPD

Robert,
I'm sure each brand/model have their pros/cons but...
I've been very pleased with my "Shimano PD-M647 SPD Dual Platform Pedal" on my Silvio.

TimOz

I use Shimano PD-M647 SPD

I use Shimano PD-M647 SPD Dual Platform Pedals.
They are probably a little more weighty than some but they are strong and spin nicely. These give me the option of wearing normal
shoes or sandals for short rides or cleat shoes for longer rides.

shimano%20m324%2004.jpg

mickjordan

SPD happy

I tried Candy pedals for the wide platform but found them hard to clip into - you have to be very precise with your foot position. Also hard to clip out which had a destabilizing effect on the bike. Went back to dual-sided SPDs with MTB shoes (which I always used on my DF bike because I like the ability to walk normally when off the bike). I like the way the SPD's tension is adjustable and the way they clip in even when your foot isn't precisely aligned.

kenhardwick

Shimano PD-M647 SPD Dual Platform Pedal

Unlike the image provided by Tim, my pedals have a resin coating. Not sure, maybe this coating in removable.

Shimano%20PD-M647%20SPD%20Dual%20Platform%20Pedal.jpg

randyspann

mallets

- I use the mallets. But they are hard to get in and out of until they are broken in. Takes a couple of hundred miles and then they work just great.

TimOz

Ken,
Just to be clear, the

Ken,
Just to be clear, the Shimano pedals I use have an spd cleat on one side only, The other side is a stainless grippy platform. This works really well. The [platform part looks means but doesn't damage shoes and it is quite easy to flip them to choose to clip in or hust padal. I also use Shimano MT33 SPD Leisure Shoes

shimano-mt33-sh-12.jpg

that are pretty easy to walk in and fine to walk around in to go shopping without the clatter of cleats on the floor.