Who would like a: Cruzbike Fantasy TT Series??????

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Hello everyone.
I would like to gauge interest in and propose an: Annual Cruzbike Fantasy TT Series
This is something to what Ratz and I have created and implemented on a training forum we belong to, and I thought it might be fun to do on this Cruzbike forum too.
This is basically what I had in mind:

Briefly there will 2 divisions you would automatically be entered in:
  1. One based purely on time and distance (There would be 6 different distances (1K, 5K, 10K, 20K, 40K, 100K), with the idea that your goal would be to complete one each week)
  2. The other based on a point system. (Points for completing a TT distance, cumulative TTs done in series, bettering your previous time, etc., etc.)
With the points system, the winner will most likely be the one who completes all the TTs each 6 week period, trains well and shows steady improvement over the entire series. That way "any" Cruzbike has an equal opportunity to win the points division.
You can chose which distances you want to complete in: 1K, 5K, 10K, 20K , 40K, or 100K
There would be 3, 6-week periods (the entire Series would last 18 weeks).
During each 6-week period you can submit your "best" time in each distance category.
You can use an out-and-back, or circular course. You can even submit time from an event as long as it is not point-to-point route.
A rolling start (of no more than 5mph) would be allowed, just to get your feet on the pedals (or clipped in) and moving in the right direction
The "official" schedule will list a specific TT distance for each week, with the understanding that any of "the set of 6" can actually be accomplished within each 6-week span.
There would be no cost involved, except your time!

Please reply back on this thread so I can gauge if there is enough interest in proceeding.
Please also feel free to post other ideas, suggestions, comments, etc.

Thanks,
Larry

jond

Zen MBB Master
count me in larry. this could be the america V australia. pun intended.

ps i sent you an email for tips/ suggestions.

Heh - the fantasy would be that I could possibly compete with ya'll! :)
Do you setup segments and submit those or just ride and pick a section of that ride? How does that part work?

LarryOz

Heh - the fantasy would be that I could possibly compete with ya'll!
Yes, the way the point system is set up, everyone is on an equal footing, make, female, type of bike. It is all equalized by the fact that all you have to do is ride the different lengths and show improvement from set to set.

Do you setup segments and submit those or just ride and pick a section of that ride? How does that part work?
If a segment loop exists for the exact distance you can use that.
You can also just make up an out and back loop anyway. but the flatter the better for TT's.
I would suggest running the short ones on a high school track. That is what Ratz and I are doing. They are easy to duplicate - no traffic either!
It would be hard to pick just a section of a ride unless it is the first part (and either a loop of exactly the right distance or an out and back course) and you just continue on after that.
It would still have to be an out and back, so there was no advantage or dis-advantage of hills wind, etc.
And if you are timing it will a Garmin or other app on your phone, you don't have to worry about when you hit the "lap" button to record the "length". Once you give us the data file, we can crop out the ending that is not part of the distance and get the true time for the length.
Hope that helps.

Cruzbike Chris

Sounds motivating. Worth a try, count me in. Thanks Larry for all you do for this forum, unbelievable to say the least.

LarryOz

Yours is a bit further away in Asheville.
This "Velodrome" is called a Mellowdrome here because it does not meet true Velodrome specs.
It was an old Nascar 1/3 mile track. Lots of cracks and un-even pavement and bumps. They said they might re-surface it in 2-3 years, but I am not holding my breathe.
But something is truely better than nothing.
I hope to ride in a real velodrome someday - maybe for a UMCA Century record attempt. :)

LarryOz

Thanks for all the replies so far for interest in participating. If you have responded on this thread and not sent me your email, please do so to me at: larryoslund@gmail.com
I will then forward you the "official" guidelines and share the googledocs spreadsheet with you that will hold all the results.
I am pretty sure I can talk Ratz into creating a special Strava account that we can each upload our ride data into.

This "Velodrome" is called a Mellowdrome here because it does not meet true Velodrome specs.
It was an old Nascar 1/3 mile track. Lots of cracks and un-even pavement and bumps. They said they might re-surface it in 2-3 years, but I am not holding my breathe.
But something is truely better than nothing.
I hope to ride in a real velodrome someday - maybe for a UMCA Century record attempt. :)
You're welcome to come try ours. They'd probably like the publicity of a record breaking ride on it :)

LarryOz

OK - Here is it - Anyone who wants to partcipate can start this next week - beginning with Saturday.
===========================
The 1st annual: 2015 Cruzbike Fantasy TT Series

It will be a 18-week long progression of different length TT's, designed to give everyone both a baseline for this year, something to shoot for at the end of the year, which will then serve as a baseline for the next year. The first week will be Jun 6 - Jun 12, 2015. The final week will be Oct 3 - Oct 9, 2015
Here's how it will work:
Each person (if they choose to participate) will do a progression of 1K, 5K, 10K, 20K, 40K, and 100K TT's in consecutive weeks, although in reality all you need to do is complete the set of TT's within each 6-week period.
For example:
week1=1K, week2=5K, week3=10K, week4=20K, week5=40K, week6=100K then:
week7=1K, week8=5K, week9=10K, week10=20K, week11=40K, week12=100K, then:
week13=1K, week14=5K, week15=10K, week16=20K, week17,=40K, week18=100K.

That would take 18 weeks: So starting next week: June 8-14, the 18th week would be Oct 4 - 10.
That would give everyone 3 data points on each of the 6 TT distances to look at and track their progress.
There will be 2 different "divisions";
#1 - Pure time for each TT distance of 1K, 5K, 10K, 20K, 40K,100K - An Cruzbike winner for each distance, and or course the bragging rights that go along with it! :)
#2 - Points race - This method lets each rider accumulate points for each TT attempted, with extra points in each of the 6 week sets for cumulative TT's ridden, beating the previous time for each TT, etc.

An overall Cruzbike winner will be crowned for the "entire" points division. Maximum points can be attained by completing each TT distance in each of the 3x6-week sets and showing continual improvement in time from one to the next. Yes, this means that you can compete on a “Quest”, and complete all the TT’s, show improvement from each 6-week segment to the next and win the overall point division. It doesn’t matter how fast you go, just that you improve each time.

General rules, guidelines, and thoughts:
Each person can choose which TT's they will do and which ones they will skip, but I would highly encourage everyone to try each distance at least once.
If you are seriously training with power or HR monitor (or want to), the 40K is just about the golden standard for determining your FTP (Functional Threshold Power) and your LT (Lactate Threshold)
Each rider will submit their "best" TT for each distance within each 6 week window". (That means you could do each TT distance each week if you really wanted to and submit your best of the group, but that would be quite a week, and quite a 6 week segment if continued. It would be best to do them in the progression listed, especially the 40K and 100K, which if done full out, will require some recovery. This will give anyone adequate recovery time as well as time to train and also do the events you may already have planned for the year.
The route can be a closed loop done over and over, but not so large a loop that you are either at an advantage or a disadvantage because the last portion of the loop is either a big downhill, uphill, with or against the wind
An out and back route is also fine, even an out-back-out-back if you have to chose something like that. Although having to make 3 turns instead of one will obviously affect your speed a little bit. Stop lights should try and be avoided at all costs, as will be impossible to duplicate each time, but if you have no other choice, then it is better than nothing
A running track is also fine, although you might find that the sharpness of the curves might slow you down on the shortest TT distances.
The key would be to be able to duplicate the the TT in as an exact conditions each time with the same equipment if possible, so your personal results can easily be compared each time..
Starting: We will have a "rolling" start of no more than 5mph before you start your timer, giving everyone a chance to get clipped in a going in a straight line.
You can also submit "official" results from an actual event where you rode one of these distances, as long as it was not a point-to-point race.
I think all of us have some kind of bike computer, or use Strava, RWGPS, or other. So, submit a .gxp , .tcx (or equivalent) file for each TT ride, or send me whatever information you have.

I am statistical junkie, so I like to know everything about my ride that I can: Power, NP, Cadence, HR, elevation gain, temp, humidity, etc, etc. So, if you send me the data I will make provision in the "current standings" to display it for you.
I will keep a current and up to date "standings" spreadsheet in google docs that will allow everyone to look at their times and related data as well as everyone else's.
I will even consider making or have made some "2015 Cruzbike TT" trophies or plaques for each category: 1K, 5K, 10K, 20K, 40K, 100K and for Points division winners, and I will also talk to Jim and Maria about providing some “official” Cruzbike prizes too.

Note: If you are an overall “winner” of any of the distance TT’s, then you cannot win the “pionts” division, but you can “win” other TT distances.

To participate:
First this is FREE - so no excuse there!
Please email me at larryoslund@gmail.com, and I will email you back these instruction for your records, and an example spreadsheet showing the points system and how points are earned for each event.
I will also share the "current standings" google docs sheet with you so you can look at it whenever you want.
You will also "submit" your TTs to me at this same email address, and then I will update the "current standings" sheet with the data

Final comment: We want this to be fun and encouraging for everyone involved. Although some friendly competition is usually a good thing, and for some gives us the incentive to train harder, and ride harder. For others it doesn't work that way. The "true" goal of this Cruzbike Fantasy TT Series would be for each one of us to see improvement in our fitness and bike handling throughout the year, and to be a good representative for Cruzbike and recumbents in general. We are all at different levels and ride different type of bikes, so a one to one comparison will not always work and may tend to leave some people a little demoralized. We do not want that to happen. Remember it is your choice to participate, but if you feel that this activity is not for you for any reason, just don't participate. There will be no judgement either way.

Let the TT's begin!

LarryOz

Here is how the points will be calculated. Reminder - please send me your email, then I can share this live spreadsheet with you. (larryoslund@gmail.com)
Cruzbike TT Series points.JPG
missed the last one - sorry:
Cruzbike TT Series points2.JPG

Sorry if I'm dense on this - new way of thinking about cycling and distances here.

So let's pretend I'm allowed to use the velodrome (I don't know what the rules are yet for funny looking bikes). The Strava segment suggests 0.2 miles. I get my <5mph start, go round 4 times to get past the .62-ish miles of the 1K, upload the file, and someone will figure out where to chop the file for start and stop? I'm not sure I'll be able to hit start or stop while actually on the track.

I'm fairly certain that no matter how exciting it would be to use that there's no way I'm riding that 0.2 miles for 310+ laps for a 100k. I'd be loony by the end. 31 laps might even be beyond my limit. I am from south Louisiana, so we're way past my fingers and toes there. This segment is a nice big loop with one stop sign but can be windy at times. Normally I ride down that way as part of an overall ride. For this, I'd ride down there, start a new ride, and go around ~1.2 times for the 20k?

What do ya'll do for the longer ones? Examples would help :)

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
What do ya'll do for the longer ones? Examples would help :)

Course with 4 laps to achieve the final distance are recommended to remove the wind factor over multiple weeks.

When we load the data into the "CBTT" strava account I will create; you can select the range of your TT from your entire data set, that will get you your time data and speed data. Since you already have a strava account you can see this in the analysis view; you "click drag select" a time range in your graphs and it should become obvious. I trim my data in RideWithGps but that's not a requirement.

LarryOz

What do ya'll do for the longer ones? Examples would help
Scott,
For the short TT's (1, 5, 10K), I will ride on a local track.
My procedure:
I set my Garmin on "Metric" so I can see the actual metric distance as I ride.
Start the Garmin
I warm up good for at least least 15 minutes, either on the road or the track (warm-up good, especially for these short ones - since you will be going just about as hard as you can).
Then I slow down until I am below 5mph
I it the lap button on my Garmin (or pay attention to you distance s you know when to stop your effort)
Take off like a "bat outa hell" and keep riding until I have at least covered the TT distance.
Cool down for at least 5 mintues.
Stop your Garmin.
That is all their is to it.

For the longer TT''s I am probably still going to ride on the local track since it is 500 meters. (Yes, it is a little boring, but I like the safety factor of not riding at my maximal out on the open road. Plus I am training for a 100 Mile track record attempt anyway, so this most likely where I will be doing it.)
but... it is easier and less boring to pick a local loop that you can just go around and around, or an out-and-back course.
For the loops, I would suggest getting on strava or rwgps (or other) segment or route builder and just hunt around for places you know and create the route and see what it would look like (how many loops, etc).
This process works for the out-and-back routes too.
Here is a local Strava segment (https://www.strava.com/segments/1442667) of an actuall 10K TT that a local group puts on as an event. It is relatively flat, no stop lights and no turns on other roads.

Once you have done the TT - send me your file and either Bob or I will crop it and enter the data into the results spreadsheet.

LarryOz

Hannish, Kline, I never received your email so I could share the google docs folder with you. Please send to me at larryoslund@gmail.com

For the others, I do apologize about being remiss in sending out an email. I thought having at least posted the schedule above that you could start whenever you wanted to.
Currently no one has sent me any ride data except Ratz and Lief.
Here are the current "best" times:
1K = 1:21 - Larry (This is until Lief does one)
5L = 6:28 - Lief
10K - 13:20 - Larry (because I am the only one who has submitted!)
20K - 27:00 - Larry (because I am the only one who has submitted!)
40K = 56:11 - Lief
100K = no submitals yet

I will send out an email to everyone who said they wanted to "play" and share the googledocs with you.
Even if you have not done anything yet, there is still plenty of time to do your rides. ( I actually did the 5, 10, 20, & 40 all yesterday), as you have until July 17th to complete the first set of 6.