Who would like a: Cruzbike Fantasy TT Series??????

jond

Zen MBB Master
Sorry if I'm dense on this - new way of thinking about cycling and distances here.

So let's pretend I'm allowed to use the velodrome (I don't know what the rules are yet for funny looking bikes). The Strava segment suggests 0.2 miles. I get my <5mph start, go round 4 times to get past the .62-ish miles of the 1K, upload the file, and someone will figure out where to chop the file for start and stop? I'm not sure I'll be able to hit start or stop while actually on the track.

I'm fairly certain that no matter how exciting it would be to use that there's no way I'm riding that 0.2 miles for 310+ laps for a 100k. I'd be loony by the end. 31 laps might even be beyond my limit. I am from south Louisiana, so we're way past my fingers and toes there. This segment is a nice big loop with one stop sign but can be windy at times. Normally I ride down that way as part of an overall ride. For this, I'd ride down there, start a new ride, and go around ~1.2 times for the 20k?

What do ya'll do for the longer ones? Examples would help :)
ha ha i did a 100klm ride on my local footie oval 400m track. i have never been the same since :) somehow i am glad i did it during my learning . it is a safe environment at least. finding an alternative is very difficult. flat is not our earth. unless you live in florida :)

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Larry, thanks for the update. I decided not to participate since I'm just this past week able to ride much after an inexplicably long recovery from arthoscopic knee surgery. A pretty minor procedure usually but it has set me way back this season. Thanks again

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Kline - hate to lose you, and I hope your recovery is continues to go well.
It is a long series. You would still have until July 17th to complete the first set of 6. Even starting after that for the last 2 sets of 6 wouldn't be a total waste.
Think about it?

Don't count me out yet. I just have to sit down and plot it out. I'm much more likely to just go ride than plan a route. Hence the wrong turns on Saturday. :oops: It's also why my rides all look similar - plot it once and repeat from muscle memory.

LarryOz

Not to worry Chris (or anyone else) - there is still lots of time - just supposed to be fun too - nothing to stress over.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Larry, thanks for the encouragement. I will indeed plan to participate. Just be prepared for some slow times! I am currently the embodiment of the 'slow spokes' movement ;):p:cool:

LarryOz

Great Kline:
The times are secondary. It's more about having something fun to do as a Tribe.
The times help each person see there progress and if gives you something to shoot for, and progress towards!

hamishbarker

Nice and calm (but a bit foggy) this morning, I had a go at the 40km out and back (actually it is from my house south to a roundabout, north to a turnoff at 20.5km turnaround, back to the roundabout, turnaround and head home.

Not very fast (yet!) but I think a good effort: 40.25km, 1h04m21sec, average speed 37.9km/hr, average power 225watts. Temperature was fairly cool, at 6-8 deg celsius and 1020hPa air pressure.

I don't have GPS data (had the phone under the seat so I thought that the GPS probably wouldn't work there for strava or whatever), but do have a wired (yellow) powertap which records 1 second data. I had to stop three times for red lights and once at the roundabout, and also had to stop to turn on my rear light (it's a highway and I was a bit worried about the fog). The first 10km was awesome, averaged over 40km/h. Then the surface changes to chipseal. Bzzzzzzzpbzbbzzzbbp is about how it sounds...the sound of slow(er). Also just a whiff of breeze against me, maybe 5km/h. That made it tough out to the turnaround, but much easier on the return. The time stops when I'm stopped , but there is still the time spent decellerating, accelerating, and the drain of the big power boost to get decent acceleration.

So I guess if I can get better luck with the breeze and the lights, and get a bit fitter, I can make it to a 1 hr time even without improvements such as a (maybe) faster helmet, tighter, smoother clothes, shoe covers, maybe aero handlebar, and less drag inducing grimace lines on my face. Also I clearly didn't go hard enough because when I finished the 40.25, I turned up our very steep street and was still able to climb it in 2nd gear.

Last edited:

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Here's a new trick with stoplights. Setup the GPS to autopause below 3mph; then create a Strava Segment for the TT course. Because of lawsuits, Strava will now record you segment time as not including any stopped non moving time at the light time; only the rolling time will counted. They did this to get people to stop running stop lights on segments. So as long as you can stop in a short distance and the accelerate fast on green; you can still get a strong result on the segment even if you have to stop; and you can use the Segment results to be your TT results as it will factor out the stopped time. Not a perfect result but still a good one; especially if you having a strong run that day.

LarryOz

Excellent Hamish!
A 40K is a hard effort. Much of it is learning how to pace yourself. If you can find a local track (like behind a school), that is also an option. It does take little getting used to speeding around the corners at 40+kph, but there is no traffic and no stopping (unless you run off the track like I did last Wednesday).
I am pretty sure you will be under an hour when all the stars align for you.
All those aero items do add up as well. I noticed nearly 1km speed increase from aero handlebars, and just wearing my visor on my helmet. That is 1kph for each! It is quite amazing
I do not have any data, but have also read over and over again about super tight fitting clothes.
I even spoke to some racers at the track yesterday and they highly encouraged me to shave my legs and arms for any record attempt. (Not something you would want to do all the time obviously).
Keep up the good work.