Why are road bumps so much more obtrusive on a recumbent?

billyk

Guru
I had occasion to ride an upright bike the past few days, including on the commute route I’ve done hundreds of times on my Quest2. Same wheelbase, similar lowish-pressure tires (75lbs). The Q is suspended (upgraded air shock plus the dinky front shock), the upright not.

It’s a bumpy ride: bad tree-root bumps on the bike trail, typical lousy Seattle streets. But the upright was more comfortable on the bad spots - bumps I’m deeply familiar with seeming just much easier to take on the upright than on my Q. I was not deliberately standing up on the pedals to take the shock in my knees.

Why? I can think of three hypotheses:

1) Bumps are transmitted mostly through the seat. Since an upright bike seat is well above the road, much of its motion is a forward and back rocking as the wheels go over a bump in turn.
By contrast, on a recumbent with its lower seat, the motion of the seat is more up-and-down, thus more uncomfortable.

2) Even if the upright rider does not actually stand up to absorb shock in the knees, a substantial part of his weight is on the pedals, so the knees bend with jarring motion and take up bumps. Similarly for weight on the handlebars: shocks are partly compensated in the elbows and shoulders.

3) A recumbent seat cups the rider’s whole butt and back, so shocks are transmitted to the head and neck very directly. On an upright, even coasting and not pedaling (thus little or no weight through the legs), bumps can be absorbed in the rider’s spine by bending and compressing, reducing shock to the head.

Probably all three come into play, but I’m inclined to the third, because today I was back on the Q and tried going over bumps while leaning forward, with my back free of the seat. Much better! Of course that is not a viable way to ride for very long.

Opinions? Even better, solutions?

Billy K

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
The bigger bumps have other issues with recumbents of bottles taking off out of their cages. Very irritating.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Pinch flats irritate me more than flying water bottles and flying water bottles are pretty dang irritating.

A more aerodynamic posture for mitigating the impact of bumps is to bridge.
You know, lift your bum and lower back off of the seat: This is sort of the recumbent equivalent to standing, or out of the saddle pedaling on an upright bike.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Yah, I never was able to 'bridge'...but I can sit up so that my back is off the seat (like doing 'ab crunches') and that helps a lot. Problem is, you don't always see the bumps coming...and big ones can really rattle yer brains. Now that I'm riding a V20 instead of the fully suspended, no headrest V2/k, I'm having to re-learn how to deal with the rough spots. :confused:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Jond has perfected the back lifting to a degree that he can literally jump over a rabbit at 50kph.

Not for the faint hearted

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I wish there was a video of that. I wish there was a video taken from the rabbit's perspective.

If I have time to react I lean forward. This allows the bike to tilt up and down as it goes over the bump.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
My solution is to ride an 35 mm front Air bag suspended Silvio V1.0 + 25 mm rear air bag suspension + 40 mm thick bottom + 30 mm thick rear Ventisit seat pad, + arch my back, if I see a Huge drop in the road next to a concrete bridge.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Come to the West Coast and ride the "Tour of the Unkown Coast". After those 100 miles you'll sell any and all recumbents you own and stick to a full suspension fat bike. Race report for that event is currently second in line.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Come to the West Coast and ride the "Tour of the Unkown Coast". After those 100 miles you'll sell any and all recumbents you own and stick to a full suspension fat bike. Race report for that event is currently second in line.

Mika might disagree; but he's a freak, yes that's a recumbent.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
That camera is in the perfect position to catch any stuff flying up from the wheel. Nothing is flying up, but there is no mudguard. Snow must be rock hard. Must be blindingly cold.

Robert O

Pinch flats irritate me more than flying water bottles and flying water bottles are pretty dang irritating.

A more aerodynamic posture for mitigating the impact of bumps is to bridge.
You know, lift your bum and lower back off of the seat: This is sort of the recumbent equivalent to standing, or out of the saddle pedaling on an upright bike.
I've tried both bridging and sitting up, both seem to help a bit. I do have a pinch flat solution, I'm running Schwalbe Pro One tubeless in 28mm on my V20. No pinch flats, and at 70psi, there's a little cushion.

ratz

That camera is in the perfect position to catch any stuff flying up from the wheel. Nothing is flying up, but there is no mudguard. Snow must be rock hard. Must be blindingly cold.
Mika is from Finland, blindingly cold just means it is springtime

ratz

Wow. What's the bike?
I think it's his DIY homebuild High Racer Stick bike. He's got a DIY home built vendetta that matches up nicely with the V version 1.5. He's Pretty handy with a welder. He's been competing on single track with that Stick bike for several years and showing well. Not something everyone can do, but it's sure cool to see what some people can pull off.

Bruce B

Rerun a section of the video and concentrate on the contact patch of the wheel. Those knobby tire really do stick.