Why is my rear brake in the lower position?

Winded Lowrider

Another what the ? moment for me with the vendetta:

My brake is mounted on the lower position. Is that standard? What's the advantage of each position?

Looking to fit a moose bag or make a custom frame storage box and that lower brake is in the way.

Please clue me in!
-Brad

BJ686

Generally, I think the lower position is the "normal position" for a rim brake. Although it does pose a problem for the Moose Pack. Here is a link to an older thread discussing this issue. Not all brakes will fit/work in the upper position--my SRAM Rival rear brake did not work in the upper position, so I switched to an FSA SLK which did.

http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/mount-rear-brake-upstairs.9294/

Winded Lowrider

OK, I get it now. Different brakes work in different positions. The upper mount is a cramped space requiring certain brakes to work.
Thanks

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
OK, I get it now. Different brakes work in different positions. The upper mount is a cramped space requiring certain brakes to work.
Thanks

Higher brake = higher costs = higher convenience for other tweaks.

That's pretty much the simple way to remember.

I replaced my SRAM Force caliper with a TRP T925R on my V20 to get the moose bag on. The TRP T925R has an integrated noodle like a MTB V brake and works quite nicely in that tight space. I never tried the stock pads that came with it, but replaced them with Swissstop pads before first ride, so can't comment on the pads.

I vaguely remember that the mounting bolt that came with the brake wasn't the right length and I had to grab a different one out of my parts box. Wish I had written down details on that.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I replaced my SRAM Force caliper with a TRP T925R on my V20 to get the moose bag on. The TRP T925R has an integrated noodle like a MTB V brake and works quite nicely in that tight space. I never tried the stock pads that came with it, but replaced them with Swissstop pads before first ride, so can't comment on the pads.

I vaguely remember that the mounting bolt that came with the brake wasn't the right length and I had to grab a different one out of my parts box. Wish I had written down details on that.
Could you take a photo please of the high brake set up, so the Wise old man won't get grumpy!

Is that tire mounted backwards for the tread?

LOL. Yep. Looks like the wheel is on backwards. It's a junk wheel I've never ridden on...just sitting on the trainer. You caught me. My good wheels are swapped off on my Ridley for one hour night rides. One hour is about the longest I can stand the abuse of an upright, but enough to keep me hanging with the gang.

Phantomrider

FSA gossamer Pro also mounts well to the upper position, learned that from talking with Jim before mine was built. Less wind resistance, more room for the moose pak, win-win!