Wider tires for the fall / winter?

I've been thinking about riding during the fall and winter.

Most people recommend changing tires to wider, 4 season tires in the fall. Maybe 28mm width.
Then in the winter I've seen recommendations for 35mm width studded tires.

Can one fit 35mm studded tires on a S30? What are the best options?

DSC01308.jpg

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
If you get a 26" wheel set, you might be able to do get 35mm studded tires on the Silvio. With 700c rims, no way.

Clearly, you'd need disc brakes with said 26" wheel.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.
My question is more in line of, what can I fit in a 700c format?

Although, disc brakes are an interesting option either way since the rim brakes lose a lot of stopping power in the wet.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I don't think anybody ever has gotten anything bigger than 28mm to fit on any Silvio/Vendetta. And even some wide 28mm tires have had issues.

I'll let those who actually know something fill in more details...

joy

Husband has 28's and can hear the sand squeezing through. Very close fit. Conti Gatorskins.

Last edited:

telephd

Guru
I tried some 30c Kenda Quik cyclocross tires on my S30 this summer when headed out for a rails to trails trip. They were just to tall with the stock Cruzbike wheelset and would have rubbed at the top of the fork. I think if I had wider rims that they might have made it. Based on that I don't think 32s would fit unless you found a much wider rim.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
(It is worth noting that not all 28mm tires are the same size. Like Telephd, please comment on brand as well as size. :D )

A Schwalbe winter 700 30c studded tire is available and will fit the S30 with some filing of the fork crown. A Nokian 28 mm studded tire exists, but getting it outside of Finland seems to be tricky.

There seems to be a misconception about the effect of a wider rim. Changing from a traditional "narrow" rim will result in a taller tire profile, not the other way around. At least until the width of the rim starts exceeding the nominal width of the tire, not a recommended set up.

I am running Hutchinson 28 mm tubeless on 25 mm od rims, and they measure 29 mm at 75 psi. I had to file about a millimeter off the fork crown of my Silvio 2.0, but the resulting clearance is still rather tight.

Not necessarily. I use SKS Raceblade xl which don't go under the fork crown or the brake bridge in the back. I've swapped front and rear, and might add another to cover the entire top of the front tire.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    755.3 KB · Views: 39

SamP

Guru
For another front fender option, I use Zefal No-Mud Mudguard mounted backwards. It mounts on the fork blades. This is on a Conversion Kit bike, it should work on Sofrider and Quest and maybe on Silvio and Vendetta. Topeak makes a similarly mounted front fender, the DeFender XC-1.

baov

So, is the jury still out on the widest tires that'll fit the silvio? Last i heard it was measured to fit 650B 38mm with 2mm to spare on each side. Now it's down to 35mm in 26", maybe?