WooooHooo...new S30 delivered today

telephd

Guru
My new S30 was delivered at 0815 this morning. Thanks again Sandy!! It came in one BIG box

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy78/telephd/20140312_01_zpsfebe411f.jpg

After I got the box opened I found a pre-assembled S30 nicely packed in its original shipping carton.

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy78/telephd/20140312_02_zps94d70eee.jpg

I got the bike out of the carton and
tongue_smile.gif

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy78/telephd/20140312_03_zpsc4932124.jpg

Exactly 31 minutes after lifting the carton off the truck I had a fully assembled S30 sitting in my driveway

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy78/telephd/20140312_04_zps429669b4.jpg

Isnt she pretty!!

I needed to get ready to head to the college but first I had to take a quick test ride so I mounted the flat peddles and rode up our access road. Im really stoked about this bike. Tomorrow I dont teach so I will get the fit adjusted and take a longer spin.

More to follow....

Sorry about the links to the pics. I know it didnt happen with out them but couldnt for the life of me get them uploaded, downloaded, IMG loaded or html loaded. The image tool on the thread kept freezing up and I had to start this thread over multiple times.

telephd

Guru
Yes it is!  Only odd thing is

Yes it is! Only odd thing is that it has an 11-36 cassette. Sandy said that is how he received it. Ill ride it like that for awhile but will most likely replace it with an 11-32 which is what Ive got on the V20 build.

OK Rick, how did you get that pic to post?

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Bug in forum software

There's some sort of bug in the forum software that leaves most of us unable to add images to the first post of a thread. All subsequent posts to the thread allow images with no problem.

telephd

Guru
photos no workee

Thanks Rick! I tried that several times yesterday and again just now. The window opens up and in the box where the picture shows on your screenshot there is a paragraph of jubberish starting with lorem ipsum.... I used the same url that you did and nothing. When I click the OK nothing happens. When I try and X out of the window a dialog box pops up saying there have been changes made and do I want to close the window. Clicking OK does nothing. Have to close the webpage and reopen for the Image Properties window to go away.

Castlerobber it appears to be more than the first thread post for me.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
A new website is development

A new website is development for Cruzbike which should solve the current problems that many are experiencing. I understand March is ETA.

In the mean time, try using a different browser and see if that helps. I'm currently using FireFox latest version on Mac OS X 10.9.5.

Vargas

Instead of pasting the URL in

Instead of pasting the URL in tab "Image Info", go to tab "Upload" and upload your picture. Then return to tab "Image Info" and it will be there.

telephd

Guru
Thanks Vargas.  In my first

Thanks Vargas. In my first post I mentioned trying that as well. The upload tab dosent even have a space to paste the URL. Only has a space with a slider bar. The whole window freezes up for nada....

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
My best luck comes:

With

My best luck comes:
  1. With files that are sized to 800x600 x72dpi ahead of time. It's not required but it helps
  2. Short file names without Spaces or Underscores. A-Za-z0-9 work best.
  3. The forum likes Jpgs best
  4. I do like vargas and upload them because I never got into file share services
  5. You can also bulk upload files and then place them by name which is a LOT faster when doing 10 photos, but that's advanced and the forums are changing soon.
  6. Someday it just doesn't work and just try the next day and the exact same thing works. So there is also a cyclical server problem hiding out there.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
BTW; congratulations on the

BTW; congratulations on the new bike; now you will have to put them on a rotation so that none of them feel neglected.

telephd

Guru
Got out for 20 today.  First

Got out for 20 today. First thought was that the S30 and the S1.0 are certainly different steads. The most obvious difference on inspection is the seat angle and that nice hydroformed main frame. The front triangle of the S30 is quite a bit lighter than the S1.0 as well. The S30 has FSA Energy Cranks and SRAM Rival components with the X7 type 2 RD and the S1.0 Campy triple components.

The 27 degree seat angle of the S30 sure opened up the cockpit for me and reduced the closed angle of my hips. My hip flexors immediately noticed the difference. The one-piece carbon seat with extra padding sits a bunch better too. Im going to have to get the headrest dialed in a little better too. I experienced the bifocal focus problem others have commented on and I dont seem to recall it being an issue on my Bacchetta CA1 at a similar angle. Im going to need to add some lumbar support as a mod to the seat.

I have better arm extension with the S30 though Im going to have to get that dialed in a tad better too. For todays ride I adjusted the leg length but not the handlebar reach. Judging from my observations Ill need to shorten up the distance some because I had plenty of knee clearance and that is an improvement over the S1.0 too.

The SRAM drivetrain with the double-tap shifters will take some gettin used to. In general it is quite noisy and didnt shift cleanly up or down though that could have been operator error. I guess that will entail a trip to the LBS because Im not too familiar with SRAM.

Had a heineous headwind on the return trip. For those familiar the Santa Annas were howling again today. Going into the wind the frame sang to me and I found that interesting. I suppose the wind was interracting with the holes in the frame behind the seat?

One curious thing is that I had calf cramps today and that is unusual for me. Im not sure what might have caused that. If anything I was a little under extended on the down stroke.

Im planning to ride 50 on Saturday out at the Tour de Palm Springs. Going to meet Dan from Tucson out there Friday and he is going to take a look at my S1.0 and probably ride it on the 25.

Ill post more thoughts after the ride.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
You will be surprised how

You will be surprised how fast you adapt to the double tap shifters. If tuned and once you are accustomed to using the shifts get pretty good.

telephd

Guru
Bob, the S1.0 is sidelined

Bob, the S1.0 is sidelined and headed to a new home. She wont even look in the direction of her new cousin.

Rick, Ive heard many good things about the double-tap so Im hoping that an adjustment to smooth out the shifting and reduce the noise will get me down the path. I have X0 with gripshift on my Corsa SS and other than being a bit louder than Ultegra it operates just as well though I not thrilled with the positive shifting "thunk"

I woke up a tad sore this morning. As you others have mentioned Rick my arms, shoulders and neck must have got a bit of a workout yesterday. That is something I didnt experience on my S1.0.

The other thing I experienced yesterday is a bit of thigh rub on the brake caliper adjusting barrel on the R and the bellows of the shock on the L. Had the same issue with the S1.0 until I installed the 100mm extension. Might have to go that route with the S30 as well. It would also get the crank a bit higher and level out the boom some more - both positives. Has any one used pedal extenders to solve this issue?

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I had thought that

I had thought that prticular S30 build was with an 11-34 but perhaps it was indeed an 11-36. The 11-36 is the cassette that the bike comes with as stock.

With a lot of shipping and freight bouncing all over the place it is definitely a good idea to get it tunes a bit for the shifting. The X7 T2 has the adjuster installed right on the DR.

Robert

Jeremy S

Dude
Hal, pedal extenders will

Hal, pedal extenders will only work with pedals that have flattened areas for a wrench to bite on the sides of the axle. My Shimano pedals don't have that, they must be tightened with a hex key at the end of the axle, which is blocked by the extender. As an alternative I used a couple of 1mm washers to space the pedals out from the cranks a bit. This prevents the pedal from screwing into the crank all the way, which could be an issue, and also doesn't add nearly as much clearance as pedal extenders, but it did help a bit. My main problem was actually heel clearance with the chainstay. Adding a 50mm chainstay extension helped more.

telephd

Guru
Thanks Robert.  The cassette

Thanks Robert. The cassette is a 11-36. I could have sworn that the specs on the preorder page were for a 11-32 cassette?

Jeremy, my Shimano A600s also tighten with a hex key so no love. Did you have a custom 50mm extension built?

Jeremy S

Dude
Hal, yes, the extension is

Hal, yes, the extension is custom. I could probably get away with the standard 100mm but I was worried about changing the geometry too drastically since I was already pretty comfortable on the bike.