WooooHooo...new S30 delivered today

BrianA

complete build S30

If the complete build S30 is supplied with a 11-36 cassette as standard then the Cruzbike site needs to be updated. In the bike section the complete build S30 specs state that it comes with a 11-32 cassette.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Brian, Noted! Thanks so much.

Brian,

Noted and I changed it just now.

Thanks so much. In reality: if someone orders and emailed requesting an 11-32 I can do that too.

Robert

telephd

Guru
On Valentine’s Day we went

On Valentine's Day we went out to Palm Springs and I rode the S30 in the 50 mile ride. Didn't set any records but did manage to get much more comfortable on the bike. I managed to complete the ride in just under four hours and the last two got a tad warm as temps soared into the mid 90's.

I did have some heel strike on the R chainstay as you described Jeremy. Is the 50mm extension you used available for purchase or was it a one-time deal? I really liked the 100mm extension on the S1.0 as it raised the crank to a height similar to my high racers and think it may help the S30 too.

I followed the instructions on adjusting the boom and it turns out that my measurements are exactly those of the example. I could not shorten the boom to the 80 cm called for however. In fact the slider bottomed out at about 90 cm. I'll be checking with Robert to see if I'm doing something wrong there. I did get the leg-length set well and have good extension on the handle bars. I really like how the 27 degree recline opens up the cockpit. It is much more comfortable and provides much better mechanics for my finicky hip flexors. I cant wait to get the V20 finished and see how that feels.

I mentioned in the post about my maiden voyage that the S1.0 and S30 are really quite dissimilar bikes. In addition to those observations I've found that the much lighter front end on the S30 makes the pedal steer less pronounced. It could also be that my technique is improving. Another factor is that the boom is much stiffer so there is better power transfer and less torque and vertical distortion at the crank.
Was waiting on some pics or the Palm Springs ride but they haven't materialized yet. So until then.....

mzweili

Guru
100mm extension

Temperature wise I'm not as lucky as you. My Silvio 2.1 is on rollers for another couple of weeks.
After one season riding it with the standard set-up, today I installed the 100mm chainstay extension.
A first try on the rollers let me feel that there is not a such big difference. I will post two small videos, before and after ther modification in a couple of days.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
the 100 mm extension on my

the 100 mm extension on my Silvio V1.0 made a MASSIVE improvement in comfort for the thigh, no wearing away of the heel of my RH shoe, better aero, more space between boom and wheel to mount a 1.8L Fastback Norback pack with pump, tubes and tools in.

mzweili

Guru
CHAINSTAY EXTENSION

Here two small videos that show me riding on the TACX Galaxy rollers.
On one video the Silvio is with the standard chainstay and the second video shows my new set-up with the 100mm chainstay extension. I also changed the handle bar from the modified Deda Low racer to the Deda TT bar.

mzweili

Guru
CHAINSTAY EXTENSION

Spam filter is in.
go and have a look at the videos here:
http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?p=1295698#post1295698

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Re: chainstay extention

That really does look less cramped. I'm gonna have to try that.
What is your x-seam, and overall height?

Kline

Cruzbike Chris

For you guys who have done

For you guys who have done the extension, are any of you using the Wahoo speed/cadence sensor or similar? I am curious if that is still a possibility or is the extension too far to securely setup the sensor. I don't want to do without the sensor but would really like the 100mm extension for same reasons outlined above, I.e. Aero, thigh clearance and heel always hitting the brake caliper.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
the Wahoo sensor has LOTS of

the Wahoo sensor has LOTS of spare cable distance with a 100 mm Extension and a 153 mm crank, AND works faultlessly since Nov 2014 with my Garmin 800

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Chainstay Ext

thanks Marc. While my overall height is only 5'6" 167.6cm my x-seam is 41.5" 105cm, so pretty close to your x. Your pics make me optimistic that it would work for me. Still wish there was a 50mm option but will give the 100 a try when i transition to S30 (soon i hope!). Glad you posted your before and after shots.

Cruzbike Chris

Guess mines the newer wireless one

@ Super slim
mine is just a one piece unit. Not sure it has the reach. May have to make up a mock up and see what will work.
image(169).jpg

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Single piece units won't work.

Slim's wired unit can still be found if you hunt around but they are getting harder to find.

The other single piece wireless units work only up to about 55 or 60 mm on a custom extension. They don not reach on a 100mm extension. For the 100mm you pretty much need to go with separate speed and cadence sensor if you want to go wireless.

Garmin and Bontrager make units; they are ANT+ only. So for a smart phone setup you'd need to pair them with something like a RFLKT+ or a iiVa HR both of which have a BT to ANT+ bridge.

Best solutions I've found:
1) Garmin's new wireless two piece magnet-free system
2) Bontrager wireless two piece magnet-based system
3) Wahoo's RPM Cadence unit paired with any other speed sensor.

Bruce B

Think Biologic

Think Biologic has a BlueTooth two piece sensor that works well on my V20 fitted with 150mm cranks (Mark Stonich-Bike Smith Design). I can't get a picture of the installation to load.

http://www.thinkbiologic.com/category/sensors-and-computers

Bruce

super slim

Zen MBB Master
http://www.pushys.com.au/waho

http://www.pushys.com.au/wahoo-fitness-ant-speed-cadence-sensor.html?catargetid=120143430000175915&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKEAiAmuCnBRCLj4D7nMWqp1USJABcT4df_blU7QHnp5ttYUVKRn_f-cyF8NxqDXZ1Uv_TBw4PGhoC7xLw_wcB

Pushys has it for $40.

There is one advantage in living in Australia!
Old stock takes longer to run out!!!

telephd

Guru
OK, Ive now got around 500 miles on the S30 and am getting along quite well. Ive attached a couple of profiles to show my current setup. It feels like my hands are way too high, especially when I grab the hoods and use them as horns. I like that position a bunch but Im really reaching for the sky.

CAM00326.jpg CAM00329.jpg

Ive lengthened my leg extension a tad since those pics were taken. Now I have good extension and the flexion angle is better compared to what I could get on the S1.0 with the 100mm extension:
CAM00324.jpg

So how does that look to the collective? Im thinking of a 100mm or custom extension to get my hands lower. Also thinking of changing the handlebars but Bob has presented waaaaay too many options for that exercise. Thanks Bob!! Any other ideas?

hurri47

Hal, your head looks so far aft! That's a no-no in my reading and experience, but I see it on the Bacchetta racey boys as well as on you. Maybe designs are better now.

If I used any more leg extension than you are demonstrating, my knees would have me shot, but five hundred miles is more than enough to know for sure. Your hands do look high to me too, and your hip angle is wide open, so I'd consider another chainstay extension, for climbing power generation this time. (No you can't have the old one back. I like it.)

-Dan