XShifter...new wireless shifting option

XShifter

Thanks to trapdoor2 for introducing our product. I'm always available to answer questions.

One concern was about the battery running out. We will sell spare batteries on our estore later. They will be priced very reasonably. Especially for Kickstarter backers we will give you a big discount on everything. This battery is rather unique. It has the micro USB port in the removable battery. So you can charge while riding with a power bank. I think almost everyone carries one with them now anyway. If the unit fails, you actually have more options than with a full electronic system like eTap or Shimano. With XShifter you have the option of loosening the cable retainer screw and manually moving to a moderate gear to get you home. With the full electronic, you are definitely stuck. Anyway, even prototypes have never failed. It's a very simple and reliable system. If your remote control is damaged or lost, you also have the option of shifting with your mobile device.

We really welcome any and all comments and suggestions to help improve this product. With the support we received we've already made some nice improvements.

Thank you!!!

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
While I really dig the 'bells and whistles', I think I might like 'dirt simple' too; say, a single button on the left for the FD and a two-position rocker button on the right for the RD. Basic shifting, up/down and maybe a hold-the-button function for large jumps. Done. No cup-holder, no stow-away seats, no CD player...just an uncomplicated shifter.

I've been riding bikes with shifters since the 1960's...one shifter for the FD and another for the RD. I think the 'single pad' system is a good one but my old lizard brain is probably going to keep sending instructions for both hands to shift. Kinda like stomping on the floor with my left foot (missing clutch pedal) when I switched to automatic transmissions on my cars...

As far as extra functions, it seems to me that the Cruzbike TT could really benefit from that 'electric brake' option...not for actual braking but to operate the tilt-lock.

BrianA

The latest video shows testing of the prototype app to shift gears using voice command. No hands shift.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
The latest video shows testing of the prototype app to shift gears using voice command. No hands shift.
Which I find intensely funny. I can just see me bombing down the MUT yelling, "2! Dammit, I said 2!" Or more like the SyFy channel, I sneeze and the damn thing shifts me into a parallel universe full of tire-chewing zombies.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Which I find intensely funny. I can just see me bombing down the MUT yelling, "2! Dammit, I said 2!" Or more like the SyFy channel, I sneeze and the damn thing shifts me into a parallel universe full of tire-chewing zombies.

Making Dammit your "shift word" could be proble-matic :rolleyes:
perhaps just tight it to labored breathing sounds....

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I am seriously tempted. There is only 10 days left. I could get rid of both the brifters and just put front and rear aero brake levers in and just have the xshifter on my right hand side. It would be more aero and lighter than even getting the Shimano DI2 upgrade. It is really tempting!

DavidCH

Ok.... The xshifter looks good... But what's that I hear? Do you think xshifter operational gear changes are distracting? Getting the TT remote... Is that a freebee or you have to pay extra for that?

Last edited:

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Ok.... The xshifter looks good... But what's that I hear? Do you think xshifter operational gear changes are distracting? Getting the TT remote... Is that a freebee or you have to pay extra for that?
From what I've read, the shifter options are "choose one". So, you can either get a standard shifter, the "road" shifter or the TT shifter. In talking with Paul, the shifters will also be available separately and can be used together, say if you wanted one on the left for the FD and one on the right for the RD. The buttons are programmable, so you could have one for the oil slick, one for the ejector seat, one for the rocket-launcher, martini dispenser, etc.

The update I got this morning said they're finalizing all the production tooling and are on target to go into production in January. Production prototypes should be going out to industry and media then. I think they originally targeted March for the rest of us.

DavidCH

Well ... Mr Xshifter himself has said the sound of the xshifters are quieter than the SRAM etap. So two days left. :rolleyes:

DavidCH

Posted by Paul Gallagher (Creator)
As we close out Kickstarter, I need to thank all the backers from the bottom of my heart. It’s always been a dream of mine to have my own business. Thanks to your support XShifter is starting in a very dramatic way. I promise you bigger things are coming. You are the first users of something that is going to be very important in the bike industry.

Now a little good news: Over the last few months we have transitioned our software/hardware development to more competent and sophisticated hands. We are pleased to say that the XShifter will be ANT+ compliant. For initial software release it probably won’t have any functionality, but the hardware will be in place. It will take a little negotiating with companies like Garmin to get us connected. The system will be firmware upgradeable by mobile device so we can add features as we go.

Also, we have made major improvements to the drive system. It will be significantly faster than what you see in the videos. It will be quieter. And it will be more efficient. We believe it will set the standard for electronic shifting.

After Kickstarter closes I need to focus 100% of my energy on getting XShifter to production. I will provide as many updates as possible. I want to keep all of you informed on our progress as much as possible. If there are any specific questions don’t hesitate to ask.

Thanks again for your support!

o.gif

BrianA

None of the kickstarter special deals are available now. The kickstarter campaign finished yesterday. Luckily I am one of the 30 Australians to get in on the deals and now can't wait to see how the system performs on the Silvio.

DavidCH

The pledge that Paul Gallagher told me was the super early bird | xshifter combo ... it was going for $309 ... it includes 2 xshifters and an xremote. He said it was suitable for recumbents and it would have a TT remote bar end which is exactly what I want.

ccf

Guru
None of the kickstarter special deals are available now. The kickstarter campaign finished yesterday. Luckily I am one of the 30 Australians to get in on the deals and now can't wait to see how the system performs on the Silvio.

:(

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I hope they make a wired version, and provide for a central battery option.

I don't mind the wires (at least for shifting). I hate it when things don't work as expected, which seems to happen more often the more batteries are involved, or when wireless pairing is involved.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I hope they make a wired version, and provide for a central battery option.

I don't mind the wires (at least for shifting). I hate it when things don't work as expected, which seems to happen more often the more batteries are involved, or when wireless pairing is involved.

Trust me if they are ½ as good as e-tap nothing to worry about. Wireless is now proven. It was made for the V20/S30 and as soon as wide range is here game over for wires in the future; yeah it's that good; you have been warned. :)