XShifter...new wireless shifting option

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Not due to ship until end of March
Probably going to be delayed from that. The last update said the factory closed for 3 weeks for some kind of Chinese holiday. They won't get the promotional prototypes out to the media until February now...I don't expect mine until April or May now.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Latest update: Xshifter is going thru a name change. Company is now calling itself "Impulse", new web-page on its way. "Xshifter" was too product specific and they didn't want their product to be limited to just shifting. It kind of looks like they've found some applications for the software that might provide positive cash flow outside of the bicycle world. BT-controlled stepping linear actuators...probably lots of interesting applications.
Here's hoping they don't lose sight of their original target audience. It would suck to have one of these only to find out they make more money elsewhere and stop supporting it.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Latest update: App for iOS has been revealed, Android right behind it. Looks pretty sweet. Even has a function to deal with cable stretch, should you need that. If this system performs as advertised, it is gonna be an amazing thing.
Apparently it has sufficient memory for saving the setup for multiple bikes and various situations. You can program it to skip specific gears, if you want that. Set it up for multiple wheelsets or cassettes and put those setups in memory to be recalled when you need them. I think this means I could "hot swap" the actuators from one bike to another with very minimal 'tweaking' required (mounts are listed at $10 ea, so $20 per bike). Heck, the setup sequence appears so easy that the time to swap the actuators from bike to bike probably takes longer. No long cable runs, no pullers, no ty-wraps, no wrangling adjusters. I just hope the mounts aren't cheesy.
Pre-production samples are scheduled to be sent out (maybe to folks like DCRainmaker?) by the end of April. I don't realistically expect mine before July...even though I'm backer #44.

XShifter

Thanks Marc. Yes you are right. It will take longer to swap actuators than to do the programming. I think you will be happy with the mounting brackets. Silicone rubber backing to keep in place. It uses zip ties, but I'm sourcing some high quality low profile ties that will look nice. And the system is modular. The XShifter will have mounting holes for direct frame mount, or you can 3D print your own custom mounting brackets! We will provide all the tech details for that. I sincerely hope you don't have to wait until July.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Thanks Marc. Yes you are right. It will take longer to swap actuators than to do the programming. I think you will be happy with the mounting brackets. Silicone rubber backing to keep in place. It uses zip ties, but I'm sourcing some high quality low profile ties that will look nice. And the system is modular. The XShifter will have mounting holes for direct frame mount, or you can 3D print your own custom mounting brackets! We will provide all the tech details for that. I sincerely hope you don't have to wait until July.
:D Earlier is always good! I worked for a few years in the consumer electronics industry (as QE/QA). Getting any product to market is a very crazy process...full of potholes and butter-slick railroad tracks. The instant you think your product is "perfect" another "OMG-gotta-do-it" update/improvement shows up or a supplier crashes or, or....which pushes the timeline out, again. BTDT!

I like direct frame mount option. While most folks won't do it, installing riv-nuts is a very easy process. You just have to have the guts to drill a hole in your frame.

I'm really looking forward to getting these units on my V20. The SRAM Rival brifters currently mounted are very nice...but OMG finicky. I rode two days last week and day 1 shifted perfectly, day 2 kept consistently skipping one gear on the upshift. I could get to it by downshifting...:confused: Today? Maybe the Easter Bunny will grant me accurate shifting! :rolleyes:

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Latest update came in today. Looks like they've revamped their website: http://www.xshifter.com/

Hah! Looking thru the new website, they have now got a "mini-pod" that is a simple toggle. Exactly what I wanted for the FD...and probably the RD as well. Binary be good...:p

Looks like they're waiting battery certification, completion of the App, software final debug, etc. All the injection molds are done and ready to crank up.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I can't wait to fit mine. I am after the TT pad so I can stick it into the bar end and get rid of one of those gear cables. And no clunky lever to engage when going flat out. Just a little flicker of a finger and no movement of force on the bars. Epic.

Probably fit it using the water bottle mounts either on the bottom of the slider or the seat.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I can't wait to fit mine. I am after the TT pad so I can stick it into the bar end and get rid of one of those gear cables. And no clunky lever to engage when going flat out. Just a little flicker of a finger and no movement of force on the bars. Epic.

Probably fit it using the water bottle mounts either on the bottom of the slider or the seat.
The TT pad appears to be greyed out on the products sheet...probably because they chose to work on the other types first. I think I'm going to get a mini for the F/D and a Pod R for the R/D. On the Pod R, I would like to program a single button to downshift everything at once for coming to a stop. I've always disliked having to remember to wallow down thru all the gears when coming to a full stop...will be nice to just hit a single button and BAM! yer in start position.

I haven't quite figured out where everything will go. In my head, I think I would keep the original bars and fit a set of bar-end brakes (with the levers pointing forward/up). However, I have really gotten used to riding on the hoods of the SRAM brifters (I seem to like my arms stretched out when cruzing, I drop to the 'drops' when I need the grunt)...might have to add some kind of a TT grip out there for comfort...which would presuppose a TT pad.

Of course, for those who develop "hands-free" skills on their bike, you could clip a Pod to yer shirt and shift from there...!

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Latest update: tentative delivery schedule has been posted.

"The tentative schedule is as follows:
  • Mid June: Begin shipping the single XShifter and the MTB remote
  • Early July: Ship Road and TT remotes
  • End of July: Dual XShifters
  • Software updates: Ongoing from original release."
Like many projects, this one has had some serious setbacks. Evidently Paul has been having a lot of difficulties with copycat/pirate companies. Of course, software programming issues too. These release dates are based on an incomplete-but-basic software release. You'll be able to shift up and down and setup your derailleur. All the additional bells and whistles will be sent out as updates as they are completed.
I'm amazed at how open Paul is about his ongoing production issues. Most companies would simply leave you hanging. The updates are much appreciated!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Latest update: tentative delivery schedule has been posted.

"The tentative schedule is as follows:
  • Mid June: Begin shipping the single XShifter and the MTB remote
  • Early July: Ship Road and TT remotes
  • End of July: Dual XShifters
  • Software updates: Ongoing from original release."
Like many projects, this one has had some serious setbacks. Evidently Paul has been having a lot of difficulties with copycat/pirate companies. Of course, software programming issues too. These release dates are based on an incomplete-but-basic software release. You'll be able to shift up and down and setup your derailleur. All the additional bells and whistles will be sent out as updates as they are completed.
I'm amazed at how open Paul is about his ongoing production issues. Most companies would simply leave you hanging. The updates are much appreciated!
There are few companies like this that are honest, and up front!!!

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Yes Paul has to realize a business is a business. I always thought I worked hard until I started to work for myself. That's even harder. I hope he buys a cruzbike with his earnings and fit it with his xshifter. He would feel instantly a lot better.

Work kills.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Latest update: their facebook page and website are listing first shipments July 1. I haven't seen anything about pre-production units out for independent tests (for folks like DC Rainmaker, etc.). I suspect that with all the setbacks, they're just going to be happy to have something going out the door. Keeping my fingers crossed.

3WHELZ

Guru
Has been any recent update on the XShifter beyond what is available on their website? I would like to combine Road and MTB components on a future S40 build. The elimination the shifter and associated cables the handlebar would also make for a cleaner and lighter build.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Latest update: getting close! They have had problems with one of the plastic molds and with getting critical electronics components. One IC is on backorder, expected in 2 weeks. When you are a small volume business, your priority from any given manufacturer is always sitting behind their 'big' orders...life in the fast lane! Paul mentions that they have a few units ready to ship, I would imagine that those will go out to the folks who will review and report/blog. The retail packaging looks good.

For some reason, I am not currently listed as a 'backer' on Kickstarter (like I am for the T50)...even though I went thru the process, ordered units, etc. I wonder what happened?

edit: silly me, I forgot that I used a different email account for Xshifter.

Last edited:

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Got another update...still problems. Looks like one of their suppliers 're-designed' a component without permission...and it failed last-minute testing. Product was ready to go out the door when it failed and the investigation revealed that the problem couldn't be band-aided...had to be built new. Another delay of several weeks. Looking like August now (my guess).
Frankly, I'm worried that Paul's going to run out of money before he ever gets product to market. Keeping my fingers crossed...I'm not an investor, just a backer...but I want this product to succeed!

BentSk8r

Didn't get in on the Kickstarter deal but there is a 25% discount code (XSHIFTER-FB25) which was supposed to expire at the end of June which is still functional on the Impulse website. Very worth it if you still want to go electric.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Latest update: finally in production with 100 units complete and in final QA. No sign of the app yet in the app store...should be soon.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an early Sept. delivery...