Yokozuna Reaction brake/shifter cable/housing

Firecracker

Has anyone had any experience with the Yokozuna product? Will it work on the Silvio as far as fitting in the frame and possibly being too stiff at the bends?

WhiteSilvio

Link for Yokozuna reaction cables

Link: Yokozuna reaction cables

http://www.yokozunausa.com/reactionkit.html

I'll have to see what this is all about.

I have trouble with Ultegra Shimano shifter cables on my Silvio breaking in the shifters (brifters?) housings near the end fitting on the cable, where they bend as they are operated. Some of the strands break in the cable and the shifting becomes eratic and then the end section of cable breaks off. The trick is to catch the cable before it breaks as the broken end is hard to remove from the STI lever housing.

Yokozuna certainly seem to think they have the best brake and gearchange cables around.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
WhiteSilvio, 
perhaps your

WhiteSilvio,
perhaps your cable path needs to be more fluid into the shiftere body?

Its just a cable system, it won't know what bikes its on so will work identically one would think.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi John (WhiteSilvio)

Do the cables on your Shimano brifters exit the side of the brifter, or are you using the newer brifters that route the cable back along the handlebar?

These cables remind me of the Nokon/Alligator designs. We worked hard to use them on the Vendetta and found that while they would allow rather sharp bends in the cabling, the cable friction went way up.

Do your cables bend right out of the brifter, or do you have a short straight run before letting them curve?

Cheers,

Doug

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
I found with the Aligator

I found with the Aligator design that if (when) the internal lining shifted, the performance would drop, and that managing those links made assembly a bit of a niusance.

Firecracker

WhiteSilvio Cable issues

I had my cable break the same way as yours did when I used to use Ultegra, but I've used SRAM Red since and for three times longer and never had that happen; I wonder of its a design/engineering issue. I also had other problems with Shimano product that I don't have anymore with SRAM--SO much better product.

WhiteSilvio

WhiteSilvio Cable Issues

Hi Doug,
Finally found the time to post a reply.
Doug asks "Do the cables on your Shimano brifters exit the side of the brifter, or are you using the newer brifters that route the cable back along the handlebar?"
Mine are the older style of brifters which exit the side of the lever.
I include 2 pictures of the current cabling; a front on view and an overhead view looking down on the cables roughly parallel with the cables.
When I replaced the last cable I added a little more length to the outer cable to allow for just a little more space for knee movement and allow for a bit of movement if I decide to move the 'bars. I really don't think it effected the run of the cable into the STI lever to any significant degree, but it may make a difference. Who knows?

I also include a picture of the almost broken through cable that I replaced. I think it shows that the cables have broken in one spot in particular but whether this was the first break or last I cannot say. I guess monitoring the cable by eye every now and again might throw some light on the first signs of breakage. I usually know there is something happening because the shifting becomes a little erratic and not long after the cable breaks. (The second last time I took the bike to my LBS and said I wanted the cable replaced and the mechanic told me that the the gear change was just out of adjustment. While he was adjusting it the cable broke!)

I have the same Ultegra STI levers on my old LeMond and for the relatively short time I rode that, about 11000km over 18months, I also had problems with the change cables breaking in a similar manner. Maybe I just do more shifting than most?

I decided to see when I had broken the cables and when I went through my LeMond and Silvio records I found I was only getting about 5000km out of the cables (both front and rear derailleurs), so I start to get nervous when approaching this mark on my ride spreadsheet.

Doug asks "Do your cables bend right out of the brifter, or do you have a short straight run before letting them curve?"

I reckon that they come out fairly square, perpendicular to the lever.

Well enough from me.
John aka WhiteSilvio

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Routing

John,
I wonder if the cables are routed correctly through shifter body, or if there is a roller absent within the assembly. This is not the performance expected of a shimano brifter.