Your Max Speed on a Cruzbike

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I'm eyeing the TRP Hy/Rd brakes so I don't have to change the brifters. I've been using Boyd Altamont alloy wheels for a few years. My wife and I have 3 sets of those and they are very nice. I know their new Altamont disk version is optimized for 25mm tires. I *think* their 44mm carbon clinchers are optimized for 25mm also, but the website doesn't confirm that. Probably would have to email Boyd Johnson to clarify.
I'm also considering those for my Vendetta. Was coming off a descent today with side gusts blowing me around like a rag doll, so I had to brake harder than normal on this descent. I'm sure the rim breaks were working hard to keep me within a reasonable speed.

I've heard no complaints from our members running them.

Alan W Dolbeer

I presently have the 2016 Boyd 44mm carbon clinchers and use Conti GP4000S 25mm tires. The setup works very well for most riding. But it does take more time than I like to haul the bike down from 40mph+ speeds on the hilly routes I have ventured on this year. Faster, reliable all conditions stopping is the only reason I would consider replacing my present Boyd rim brake wheelset with a disk brake specific wheelset. Just recently I have been lusting after the Zipp 303 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Disk-brake wheelset. An expensive upgrade to be sure.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I know what you mean Doug Kline. Most of the time rim brakes are fine. But curvy mountain descents leave me wishing for disk brakes as well. Just waiting for the right time as it will be an expensive upgrade to replace brifters and wheelset. Also there are not too many disk brake specific carbon clincher rims around yet, particularly those optimized for wider 25mm tires. But it seems to me it is only a matter of time before we have more than one or two choices in that regard.

Stay tuned for happy news to make this in the reach of more people. I need to gather more details.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
The Hy-rd on my Silvio do not feel as nice as the Magura on my Grasshopper. The pads on the Silvio seem to wear fast.