Zefal Spy Mirror A+

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
I have become accustomed to using an eyeglass-mounted mirror (CycleAware HeadsUp) because I never could find a bar-mounted mirror that would stay put and give a clear view of the road behind me. Mind you, this goes back to my upright-riding days.

I received a Zéfal Spy mirror from Jim Parker to use on my Silvio and mounted it this morning just before heading to work. The attachment and set-up was remarkably easy and the mirror stayed put even on rough roads. My plan was to use it on the right-side of the handlebar as an auxillary to my CycleAware HeadsUp. What I discovered was amazing; the view using the Spy is much clearer than what I am used to and it provides a panoramic view that covers the road horizon from edge to edge.

I am so impressed that I am ordering a second Spy for the left side of my handlebar and will leave my HeadsUp at home.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Pictures will come eventually

Charles, it's not one of the new Silvios; it's a V1.0 that is going to need a little TLC before she's ready for photos. There are so many gorgeous examples of this machine, that I need to have mine ready to show off properly. I'll hopefully get some time to clean and polish everything this weekend if I am not too busy riding.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
While I admit there's a lot

While I admit there's a lot to like about the Silvio 2's, I wouldn't sneeze at a Silvio 1 at all. (Anybody out there who's upgrading to a Silvio 2 can feel assured that I'll take good care of your Silvio 1's if you send them to me :D). Make sure you take 'before' pictures, or we're going to think she just arrived looking like she does at the end.

Andrew, that's great!  You've

Andrew, that's great! You've been wanting a Silvio for a long time, I'm happy you finally got one.

I agree, the Zefal spy mirrors are awesome and rock solid (no mirror vibrations as you are riding).

Mine got a little scratched up recently - does anyone know how to polish these little plastic mirrors?

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
And a ride report mister

+1 to these comments
Wait... What Silvio? What did I miss? Why haven't there been pictures???

Andrew, that's great! You've been wanting a Silvio for a long time, I'm happy you finally got one.

And you seriously need to post a ride report or two mister! Especially after all of your pining for a Silvio.

:)

-Eric

Zefal Spy Mirror

I have read reviews that the optics on those mirrors is kind of distorted. Is that the case with yours? Do you feel that is a problem? Just wondering. I have 2 myrrycle mountain mirrors which work quite well and have excellent optics but they are so large that I have been considering getting something that would be more aero. Keith

I wouldn't use the term

I wouldn't use the term 'distorted'. It's more of an 'objects-in-mirror-may-be-closer-than-they-appear' affect. It's definitely not a problem for me. I prefer that over a regular 'flat' mirror because you get a wider field of view. You can still see things that are pretty far back.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
a ride report is forthcoming

So far I have ridden my weekday commute of 27 miles round-trip every day this week and I intend to do so through Friday. I also joined my 10 year-old daughter for the 7-mile Ride of Silence here in Columbia, SC last night.

My Monday morning commute was a bit concerning, but I can relate that to getting the feel of a new bike and learning to relax. Tuesday was better, and yesterday was amazing. It's easy to gain confidence on these bikes once you relax and feel the feedback from the steering input that your legs give. I love this bike!

More to come.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Wide Angle, Not Distorted

I agree with the idea that it's more of a 'objects-in-mirror-may-be-closer-than-they-appear' than a distortion. For me, I want to see as much as I can behind me and the panoramic effect is helpful when determining whether or not the travel lane is clear.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Silvio 1.0 is still, an amazing machine.

AndrewBaloga, I'am very happy you finally got a Silvio!! Congratulations! The first time I saw a high resolution picture of a silvio 1.0, I was amazed at the quality of the engineering. Still, an amazing machine. I still enjoy watching this early video by John:

Are you planing to put the chainstay extension? Enjoy your Silvio!!

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Ak-tux...

It is an amazing record-breaking machine, indeed. I certainly will not out-ride the performance of this bike anytime soon. As for the video, I've watched it several times and even found myself on Youtube last night watching that one and several others. My wife just walks by and shakes her head. :)

As for the chainstay extension, at only 5'8" (I don't know my actual x-seam), I don't need any extra room for these short legs.

Back to the mirror; there is a bit of a ripple distortion, but it's a fair trade-off for a wide field of view. As a matter of fact, my CycleAware mirror broke this morning and I had just the Zefal Spy. Moving it over to the left side of the bar works perfectly to show me everything I need to see behind me. If you have a Cruzbike, I recommend the Zefal Spy.

BentBierz

Picking up on an older thread

Picking up on an older thread but wondering what people's opinion of the Spy Mirror is since the above discussion took place and if anyone has found alternatives (bike, not helmet mounted) that they like.

Tuloose

Guru
I ordered the Spy mirror with

I ordered the Spy mirror with my bike, not knowing what the mirror was like.
I had been using a handlebar mounted Cycle Star mirror on my P-38.
I liked the Cycle Star but it did suffer some from vibration.
I also have the mirror that mounts on one's eye glasses but they do not work with the thin ear piece on my metal rim glasses.
I have found the Spy mirror to be very good, easy to mount and small yet with good coverage.
I recently ordered another one for the right side of the bar.
With the laid back head position on the Silvio 2.0 it can be difficult to see another rider coming up on your right side.

iow

very pleased with my spy

very pleased with my spy mirror - if it got lost or broke i'd buy another without a second thought.

I have mounted a Zefal Spy on

I have mounted a Zefal Spy on a Vendetta and found it to be excellent.
I don't have a Silvio myself but have sold some since I'm a dealer.

I have used a Safe-Zone Bicycle Helmet Mirror on my other recumbents and unicycle.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sykkel-bent/sets/72157627836652656/

On the Vendetta I found out I don't need the helmet mirror.
I couldn't find a picture of the helmet without a mirror on that I'm now using with Vendetta but posted about this helmet with a built in light on BROL earlier.
http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=94994

super slim

Zen MBB Master
 I use two My Ride Mountain

I use two My Ride Mountain mirrors mounted on the end of my drop bars and positioned in front of my elbows so no extra wind drag.
The disadvantage is that I need to swing my elbow out to see what is behind me.

?SS

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
'in front of my elbows so no

'in front of my elbows so no extra wind drag'

... there a theory.
wink_smile.gif

Vargas

After trying some regular

After trying some regular bike mirrors, all of them with vibration issues, I bought a motorcycle mirror/brake support, cut the brake part off and installed just the mirror support on the handle bar.
Now I can run any motorcycle or moped mirror on my SR. They are heavier but totally stable.
Presently I am running a small round wide angle one. Don't know how someone dares ride a motorcycle with these small mirrors.
I have a regular one waiting to replace the wide angle one.