Zip tie front triangle...?

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Not long ago someone (I think it was Jim Parker?) posted how to zip tie the front fork and chainstay of a Vendetta so that it won’t come apart when removing the wheel but now I can’t find that post. Anyone know where to find it?

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Another option is to put the skewer in the other direction. When the time comes, I flip the bike upside down, resting it on the hoods and seat back. I pull the skewer out just far enough to pull the wheel out and then run it back through while I fiddle with the tire. To put the wheel back is just to reverse the process. Yes, it's still kind of fiddly, but it has worked nicely and the seat bottom makes a nice place to rest your tools and what not, so you don't lose them. The bonus to the reversed skewer thing is; it blows roadies minds, if they're paying the least bit of attention to detail, to see your skewer in backwards. It's win-win.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
...The bonus to the reversed skewer thing is; it blows roadies minds, if they're paying the least bit of attention to detail, to see your skewer in backwards. It's win-win.
Can someone enlighten my ignorance (in this area, a complete enlightenment would take more than this forum) Is there a specific reason for the skewer kept in one direction rather than the other? Is one way more secure ie. a lower chance of loosening from vibration than the other direction? And if so, can you explain the reasoning for my poor brain cells.

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
The lever is usually on the left to keep away from drivetrain. I think the better question is why can't the fork be made to stay intact without zip ties.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The lever is usually on the left to keep away from drivetrain. I think the better question is why can't the fork be made to stay intact without zip ties.

it’s a concession to weight. if the nose is square it stays together just fine. if some figures out a lighter or equal design i am sure they’d implement. that is how we got the new stay.

to get things square follow these steps
  1. loosen everything
  2. tight quick release
  3. tighten the b.b. cup area clamps
  4. tighten the boom length clamp
  5. level handle bars
  6. tight pivot clamp
  7. tighten b.b. clamp again
now test wheel removal. triangle will stay together if you have it square

the problem comes in if you crash then it probably won’t still be square.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The OLD 2008 Silvio V1.0 fork had a square 4.6mm high chainstay engagement lip, for the chainstay, to lock to the chainstay and did not spring apart, if the skewer was partially left in the right side to allow the wheel to be removed, but stop the derailleur lug popping out due to the derailleur spring tension.
Silvio V 1.0 fork square 4.6 mm deep.jpg

This is the Silvio S30 fork with a 45 degree engagement that is 3.0 mm thick.
This was done to reduce the overall fork+ chainstay width, to allow easier mounting on indoor trainers, and standard MTB quick releases could be used.
Due to the 45 degree lug engagement, the forks spring apart easily, and I have had to glue the derailleur lug in position, and use cable ties on the left fork, as per Ratz's link!
This is a good compromize to get disk brakes and an aero sleek frame with a 28 degree seat back!

Silvio S30 fork chainstay engagement .jpg