Zwift - Crubike beginners guide and how to's (Q&A to get you going)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I have ordered a Tacx Neo from an Adelaide bike shop, after spending 9.5 weeks getting a refund from Wiggle, when they would not match a local price, but they are going to supply a Tacx + Micro USB, to work on a PC with Win 7.
I rang them when I received to details of my Order & deposit, but they insist it will work!

From the three links below only a USB 2.0 Ant+ stich will work on a PC, NOT the Tacx + Micro that is designed for an Android smart Phone!

https://tacx.com/product/tacx-ant-dongle-micro-usb/
https://thesufferfest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212904403-Connecting-ANT-Devices
https://gplama.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/garmin-usb2-ant-stick-in-depth-review.html

Should I look for a Garmin USB2 Mini Ant+, or a Suunto Moviestick Mini USB?

99 bike, Mile End $1750
Damn that's a good price, and I was going to work for them not Mile End another store but it was too far from home. Hoping to get in at Prospect when there is an opening although not sure how much of my pay will come home ;)

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Good thread! I am on Zwift now but still working on finding people, etc. The interface is just not intuitive.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Just followed you on zwift using the phone app assuming I got the correct @Robert Holler , only one showed up via the search.

Let me know if i show up as Recumbent Dork or Jason perez when you get the notification. I have no idea what name it uses when I friend people :lol

Sometimes, you are reminded that you forgot to do something. Don’t be like me, set your FTP before joining a group ride ;) Homework for later I guess.

3638E358-29F1-4899-80BC-959D70F91E19.jpeg

orind

I have been loving Zwift this winter. Normally I fat bike in the winter, but too much ice, not enough snow caused me to join. Using the Tacx Neo. Now I just wish you could choose a recumbent as your ride--maybe the folks at Cruzbike could set up a bike/kit option?

I have been enjoying Zwift with a dumb trainer paired with Wahoo speed and cadence sensors; works decently well even if the numbers are likely off. Tonight I found the downside as I approached the end of my training ride and my candence sensor died. Time to buy a few coin cell batteries for the house. Looking forward to successfully completing the workout tomorrow!

If you use sensors, pick up a pack of replacement batteries as they seem to fail quick with no notice. Or better yet, get a smart trainer. That’s on my list hoping they go on sale over the summer!

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Maybe I am the only one. I just ordered a sort-of-smart trainer (the kind where I just put the whole bike on the fluid flywheel trainer with integrated power sensor and clamp on the front wheel) and will return my Elite Direto smart trainer to Performance Bike. I found that taking the wheel off, taking the front disc brake mount off, trying to get bike mounted, adjust the RD so that it shifts smoothly to ride for a couple times on the trainer AND later trying to take the bike off, remount the wheel, remount the disc brake, re-adjust the disc brake, and re-adjust the RD so that it shifts correctly to be too much of a hassle every time and a huge dis-incentive to train or to ride. Wonder if others have similar thought.

orind

I can understand why you did what you did--If I were taking the bike on/off the trainer with any regularity, then I would have gone with a wheel on trainer--I live in Alaska--my road bike is on the trainer from November Until May. Because the brake caliper mount is in the way, it would be a real hassle to unbolt/re bolt and align the brake all the time.

I know a few have extra bikes they keep on the trainer. When I finally buy a smart trainer, it will be a wheel on trainer. I don’t want to spend much time moving the one bike back and forth. I’ll just take the pain of spin down tests with it.

MariposaLand

Thank you @ratz for putting the info together in this thread. I had my S40 shipped to where we were vacationing so I could learn how to ride it. I got to ride it for the first time again back home this morning. A big rain event is happening all day so I brought it in and put it on the Cyclops trainer. However, the front skewer is not long enough to reach the nut on the other side of the fork. So, I just put the skewer in and got everything lined up and dropped the nut in and clamped it in. It seems to work. Has anyone had to do this? Will this cause any problems to the bike or the biker?

benphyr

Guru-me-not
V and S models skewers for Wheel On Trainers Skip to post #43

QX100 skewers for Wheel On Trainers Read on:

(and probably Quest, possibly Q45 and T50 If you know compatibility please update this thread.)

Go to the nearest bike coop, store, outdoor store (Mountain Equipment Coop, REI, etc.) and ask for a training skewer. They usually have extra threads to make the skewer longer and usually have a bit of a different shape to fit in the trainer nicely. Typically they cost very little all things considered. I think mine was $14CAD. Alternatively, you could get one from Cycle-Ops which might cost you a couple donuts more.

And with a Cruzbike you will want something to keep your trainer anchored, especially on that tile floor! Mine slides across hardwood if I don't have something bracing - normally I just turn around the boot mat so it has the short edge against the wall and the other edge against the rear tire, and the trainer is on one of those 2' square foam rubber garage / children's area mats. Works pretty well that way with only occasionally I pull too hard on the handlebar and get things a little skewed and have to reef the other way to straighten out.

And, if your trainer is directional, then you would need to put the Cruzbike in the other way.. That is, pretend the drive wheel is going in the trainer for a Diamond Frame bike, the flywheel should be towards the rear of the bike. Is that a magnetic trainer? It might not make any difference then, with fluid ones it sometimes makes a difference and of course with the wheel-less ones you can only put it on one way.

Last edited:

MariposaLand

Just go to the nearest bike coop, store, outdoor store (Mountain Equipment Coop, REI, etc.) and ask for a training skewer. They usually have extra threads to make the skewer longer and usually have a bit of a different shape to fit in the trainer nicely. Typically they cost very little all things considered. I think mine was $14CAD. Alternatively, you could get one from Cycle-Ops which might cost you a couple donuts more.

And with a Cruzbike you will want something to keep your trainer anchored, especially on that tile floor! Mine slides across hardwood if I don't have something bracing - normally I just turn around the boot mat so it has the short edge against the wall and the other edge against the rear tire, and the trainer is on one of those 2' square foam rubber garage / children's area mats. Works pretty well that way with only occasionally I pull too hard on the handlebar and get things a little skewed and have to reef the other way to straighten out.

And, if your trainer is directional, then you would need to put the Cruzbike in the other way.. That is, pretend the drive wheel is going in the trainer for a Diamond Frame bike, the flywheel should be towards the rear of the bike. Is that a magnetic trainer? It might not make any difference then, with fluid ones it sometimes makes a difference and of course with the wheel-less ones you can only put it on one way.

Many thanks @benphyr. I have the Cyclops Magnus. There are references on the forum stating this particular trainer will not work with the S40 due to the width of the forks. I was able to ride 5 miles without any perceived problems, just trying it out. That was without the ends of the Skewer being physically connected. Not sure if this would cause a compression on the bearings or not. I googled to see if I could find a long skewer without luck. I’ll check with the bike shop Monday.

MariposaLand

Just go to the nearest bike coop, store, outdoor store (Mountain Equipment Coop, REI, etc.) and ask for a training skewer. They usually have extra threads to make the skewer longer and usually have a bit of a different shape to fit in the trainer nicely. Typically they cost very little all things considered. I think mine was $14CAD. Alternatively, you could get one from Cycle-Ops which might cost you a couple donuts more.

Oh yes, the rear tire kept sliding sideways. I put it in my bike stand and that seemed to help. I’ll try your recommendation