Zwift - Crubike beginners guide and how to's (Q&A to get you going)

MariposaLand

Did you have the skewer involved at all with attaching the bike to the trainer?

Yes, I used the one that came with the trainer but it was to short for the threads to reach the cap on the opposite side. They possibly could have been touching after I tightened the bike down. I believe if it were 1/4 inch longer I would be able to screw the cap on.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
no trainer standard skewer is long enough to properly use with a cruzbike, the forks are to wide. The best you can get is one that'll maybe thread on maybe 2 rotations which ain't enough in my opinion. I bought some M5x1.0 metric threaded rod, cut it to the needed length then got 2 of those cheap steel skewers no one wants and use one of the threaded nut on each end. Works perfect and you can make the skewer as long or short as you want.

MariposaLand

no trainer standard skewer is long enough to properly use with a cruzbike, the forks are to wide. The best you can get is one that'll maybe thread on maybe 2 rotations which ain't enough in my opinion. I bought some M5x1.0 metric threaded rod, cut it to the needed length then got 2 of those cheap steel skewers no one wants and use one of the threaded nut on each end. Works perfect and you can make the skewer as long or short as you want.

That it’s it ✌ Will start my project next week. Thank you!

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I've updated my earlier response to indicate that my experience is with the QX100 and to see Rojo's posts for V and S information. Thanks!

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
On the verge of ordering TACX Neo. Never thought I would do that so haven’t kept up with this thread but will read all closely (and take notes!) over the next few days—I’m behind on this tech etc but will learn fast. Heck I mastered Epic EMR, I’ll catch on to this! In the meantime what do I need to order besides the Neo? An ANT+ dongle? Or will the Neo connect to iPad via Bluetooth and run the Zwift?
I know a cassette is needed. Anything else to order? Any help for this non-tech savvy graybeard greatly appreciated!

Kline

I am using a different smart trainer on an iPad Pro; it works well. The Neo should connect directly to your tablet via BlueTooth. Yes, you need a cassette and tools to install it. If you want cadence info, grab a sensor like the one from Wahoo that is also BT; I don’t *think* the Neo has built in cadence, but not 100% sure.. I also have a Wahoo heart rate monitor as it is BT as well.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Thank you Pollock and Hardy! Ordering today, and happy to hear it works via bluetooth with iPad Pro, coz, who wants ant dongles around the house anyway, right? ;)
Good to know about the mats at Tractor Supply too, we have one close by. Everything else I have on hand. When I get up and running and experienced a little I'll look into the Discord.

As for the bad news.....taking a deep breath and plunging ahead come what may! But......maybe this could be the ticket to getting my wife to try the Cruzbike? No need to fear a stationary bike, after all......

Thanks again.

Bill K

Guru
I also use the Neo with an IPad using bluetooth. Works great, no need for ANT+ dongles unless you want to dual-connect: such as Trainer Road and Zwift at the same time. But there's no compelling reasons for doing this.

The Neo does measure cadence, but gets weird sometimes and reports 2x (cadence of 150 or more).
For me, cadence is reported correctly early in a workout and sometimes reports 2x towards the end of a workout.
I've tried using it as a training guide to try to improve my pedal stroke.
I suggest you try using the Neo cadence sensor, and if it doesn't work well for you get a crank mounted (bluetooth) cadence sensor.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Thank you Bill. I have a garmin cadence sensor already in place so if the Neo gets weird about it i'll use the garmin in indoor mode. Good to know the Neo sometimes gives false reading.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Neo here and Vendetta on without problem. Have not really explored/ridden yet but noticed while checking indexing on the trainer cassette that when turning the pedals there’s an odd herky-jerky feel to start off and an odd rattling/clanking from inside the trainer. Is that normal??

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
It sounds like that herky jerky motion when going really slow is the mechanism that allows the NEO to give that unique road feel effect like cobble stones. Increase the cadence and it smooths out. The sound is sometimes reported and normally associated with some debris finding its way onto the inside of the fly wheel. The most common solution is to keep pedaling and it sorts itself out. If its grinding and doesn't go away it could be small metal particles on the magnets. The solution is a special puller tool to remove the cover and remove the problem. Your local bike store that sells NEO's will have this tool (mine does anyway). Its an easy, fast fix. If you dont have support close by (or if you do) NEO will still send you the puller for free.

Hey, thanks, that’s great info and makes me feel a lot better. I got the Neo in the mail yesterday; got home late from work and got it set up, to hear that noise going on. Went to bed a bit discouraged. No Neo dealer nearby so I will contact Tacx about the puller. Thanks again.

McWheels

Off the long run
I don't have a zwift, so this is theoretical (to me). Can you take a Strava segment (or any other part of the map) and choose that as your route on any given day? There's a grim down/up/UP/down/up/up/up circuit I do once from time to time where I live. I imagine the ninjas here would dominate it and just do 3 or 6 laps for fun.