New and Improved Headrest Clamp

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
well that's the difference between a hand made $40 part that was out of stock 90% of the time and a mass produced $20 part that's readily available. I will say I appreciate the fact you guys notice the extra attention to detail I put into my designs.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I think they could match your design more closely without spending more money (i.e. by moving the rod to the side instead of at centerline), but that is 100% Cruzbike's decision-- the current design is prettier, and suits the needs of people not mounting other seats to the frame.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I have installed the two new headrest clamps without the solid rod, as it was too heavy, and the length of the clamp was enough to stop it turning.
I required to install foam behind the clamps, to push them up against the headrest tubes, so I could use the existing bolts.

With the new solid clamps installed, the headrest and rear rack, no longer rocks side to side!

A GREAT improvement!!!

Thanks Jason!!!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I have installed the two new headrest clamps without the solid rod, as it was too heavy, and the length of the clamp was enough to stop it turning.
I required to install foam behind the clamps, to push them up against the headrest tubes, so I could use the existing bolts.

With the new solid clamps installed, the headrest and rear rack, no longer rocks side to side!

A GREAT improvement!!!

Thanks Jason!!!

Was the rod solid or hollow? The original rojo clamps where super thin alloy tubing, think plastic straw but aluminum.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
9ebffd9aa07668b509cf68f847914971_last-updated-on-june-10-wtf-face-memes_600-400.jpeg

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
So, I drilled a hole in both off-center using a hand-drill, used the same drill to drill out the threads for the set screws, then hammered the rod (with a hammer) through the holes I made (which were intentionally a hair too small).

The rod is *very* snugly fit. It isn't going anywhere. The screws can go all the way through, since the rod is off-center.
It is now installed in my S30, with the second (lower) clamp used to mount the seat as well as the headrest-tube.
It does so without any problem (little futzing about to find the appropriate screw-hole).

Result?
Happy customer. Yeay! :)

Jeremy S

Dude
@RojoRacing it looks like all your photos here are being held hostage by PhotoBucket. I just received my Perez Clamps in the mail (hoping they'll solve my persistent creaky headrest problem). I may be able to fiddle around and figure it out, but just looking at them I have no clear idea how to install them.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
@RojoRacing it looks like all your photos here are being held hostage by PhotoBucket. I just received my Perez Clamps in the mail (hoping they'll solve my persistent creaky headrest problem). I may be able to fiddle around and figure it out, but just looking at them I have no clear idea how to install them.

:lol and just like that we have lost all my photo content forever because I'm not paying to use photo bucket. Thanks for the heads up so I don't waste any more time with them.

Jeremy S

Dude
The non-obvious part to me, at first, was that the clamp bolt first goes through a hole in the frame tube, then into the clamp. Tightening the bolt pulls the clamp up toward the top of the frame tube. Seems obvious now. My frame (first run Silvio 2.0) is so old that it only has one suitable hole, and that wasn't being used for anything so I'm not sure why it's there. I'm going to see how things work with just one clamp before I drill a second hole in the frame.

IMG_4046 copy.jpg

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The non-obvious part to me, at first, was that the clamp bolt first goes through a hole in the frame tube, then into the clamp. Tightening the bolt pulls the clamp up toward the top of the frame tube. Seems obvious now. My frame (first run Silvio 2.0) is so old that it only has one suitable hole, and that wasn't being used for anything so I'm not sure why it's there. I'm going to see how things work with just one clamp before I drill a second hole in the frame.

View attachment 5123
Put the second hole in; with just the one it will "Creek" under load which can be a bit maddening until you find it. I had to drill the second hole on one of our Silvio's and it was fine.

Jeremy S

Dude
Put the second hole in; with just the one it will "Creek" under load which can be a bit maddening until you find it. I had to drill the second hole on one of our Silvio's and it was fine.
OK, I have given in to peer pressure, drilled a second hole, and installed both clamps. My hand drill required a delicate touch to get all the way through.

Jeffrey Ritter

Hi all. This seems to be the best existing thread on which to ask this question: has anyone installed the "performance adjustable headrest" and have pics to show? I just received mine and it seems like the bars may replace the existing headrest structure, but that seems I may be mistaken. Unfortunately, no installation guide is included. I likely can figure it out on my own but welcome any experienced feedback. The intended end result is to be able to use the performance adjustable headrest and the carbon carry case together. Thanks.