S40

Bender

Just took my first ride on my new build, an S40. I love it. I also have one of the first S30's. The S40 is such an improvement. I set it up as a 1x10. A 46t Biopace chainring and a 11x42 cassette. The crank arms are 160mm. 180mm TRP disc brakes bring it to a quick stop.

NeaL

Guru
Just took my first ride on my new build, an S40. I love it. I also have one of the first S30's. The S40 is such an improvement. I set it up as a 1x10. A 46t Biopace chainring and a 11x42 cassette. The crank arms are 160mm. 180mm TRP disc brakes bring it to a quick stop.
Pics?

Bender

would like to get some details
Chainring is Biopace 46t. Derailleur is Sram Apex 1. Cassette is Sunrace 10 spd 11-42. Wheels are Mavic Ksyrium. Tires are Conti Ultra Sport 700x25. Brifters are Sram Red.
Brakes are TRP 180 disc. Crank arms are Sram Apex cut down to 160 mm.

telephd

Guru

Bender, please elaborate on your S40 is such an improvement comment. I have had both editions of the S30 and found the latest iteration to my liking. Do you have the original dual suspended or the latest sans front suspension. Do tell.....

Bender

Bender, please elaborate on your S40 is such an improvement comment. I have had both editions of the S30 and found the latest iteration to my liking. Do you have the original dual suspended or the latest sans front suspension. Do tell.....
Telephd, My S30 was one of the first made so it was dual suspended. As you know, the S30 is quite heavy feeling in the front. The S40 has a longer wheelbase and a bit of a change in the angle of rake. It is also unsuspended. These upgrades have produced a machine that feels quite balanced. The seat angle has been raised. I did the same with my S30 by making the seat adjustable as per Youngbloods mods. All in all, I feel the new S40 is a very likeable machine. Aside from my Catrike 700, this is now my main ride.

telephd

Guru
Thanks Bender! Im a tad worried about recumbutt with the S40. When I went from my dual suspended S30 @ 27 degrees with a custom 60mm extension to my S30 sans front suspension at 33 degrees I had a bit of a challenge with recumbutt. It has mostly resolved with mileage but is around the corner if Ive been off the bike for a couple of weeks. I couldn't ride my S1.0 without the 100 mm extension for the same reason.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Crank arms are Sram Apex cut down to 160 mm.

Just for my own clarification— are you using SRAM Apex double chain ring crank set with just the one Biopace ring, or SRAM Apex 1 crank set? If you’re just using the 2x Apex, and not the Apex 1, did you do anything to alter the chain line (supposedly the 1x has the ring in an optimal position for the chain line) or is that something that is more theoretical and not noticeable in practice? Also curious as to whether the 1x cranks can be shortened due to the ‘grooves’ on the insides of the arms?