T50 - whatcha planning to build.....

Frank Costantini

The pictures from above the seat show that the Cruzbike utility Ventisit is not as wide as the seat. I think it would be a lot more comfortable with a comfort thickness Ventisit that was actually wide enough to cover the seat.
Where is a "comfort thickness Ventisit" that is wide enough to cover the seat available?

rx7mark

Guru
Doug,
I like your Gator Bars! I feel like my bars are too close to my body. I was going to try leaning the seat farther, but the Gato bars give me another option. Thanks.

rx7mark

Guru
Paruig,
Looks great, can you tell us more about the seat mounts, and which seat you are using?

Also looks like you have mounted it pretty far aft, what is your X-seam?
Mark

Paruig

The front seat mount is the one that came with the kit as the rear seat mount.
It fits straight onto the rear seat base tube through the frame.
I thought about using a Rans clamp but this was easy.
I made a U-bracket for the rear of the seat that bolts to chromoly tubes which replace the supplied rear stays.

The seat is one I had in the shed, probably from Raptobike.
The seat bag came with a Carbent I used to own.

I wanted to keep the BB as high as possible, and the seat as low as possible, hence seat position.
I do have some misgivings about the CoG possibly being too far back for steep or gravel roads.

Weather is alternating rain, hail and sunshine so I may fit narrower tyres with mudguards for extended testing.

My X-seam is about 43" IIRC.

Rampa

Guru
I have found that having the seat a bit further back is offset by the more upright upper-torso on a seat of this shape.

Also, if you look at the Silvio and Vendetta, their seats are that far aft.

Paruig

I found that the Silvio suffered wheel-slip on many hills.
My house is at the top of a 16-18% hill.

Paruig

I did a shakeout ride today and learned a couple of things that might help the rest of you.
1) Make sure the boom slider clamp is really, really tight. I had it come loose twice in the first few miles. The first time the crank completely separated from the boom and went all the way to the ground.

Bill,
Did you manage to fix the boom slider clamp issue?
I have the same problem (the outer tube is slotted).
I notice the finish on the boom tubes is rougher than the old kit boom, which has never slipped on me.

I too am using a Rohloff Speedhub, but with a tensioner.

Last edited:

Brad R

Bill,
I notice the finish on the boom tubes is rougher than the old kit boom, which has never slipped on me.

I also had the boom slip off. If you send a request to support at Cruzbike, they will send you another clamp. It helps.

Until then, close the clamp with the lever and tighten more with a hex wrench. This solved my problem completely. I am also using the extra clamp.

This makes adjustments a little slower, but the boom slipping under load must be prevented.

Good luck.

Bill K

Guru
Bill,

The boom has not slipped since I took off the quick release lever and use a wrench to tighten the clamp (same as @Brad R).
I didn't request the additional clamp from Cruzbike since this has been working fine for me.

My Rohloff hub is now on its third bike!
My house is at the top of a 16-18% hill.
I'd have a chain tensioner and a double crank too if I had this to look forward to this at the end of every ride.
At least you get to start your rides easy and fast, there is a lot to be said for that.

DavidJL

Finally figured out why I couldn't get a 160 mm rotor on. The LBS mechanic put the "monkey bone" on backwards. It was disturbing to have a 140 mm rotor on the front and a 160 mm rotor on the back.

Palzkrumbeer

Hello all,
i got the idea of getting a frame and putting the parts of my well-used Fahrradmanufaktur T-50 on it to save costs. One question i got now, is if other brakes besides discbrakes are possible too.
thx in advance for answers
Volker