Comparison Chart of Past Cruzbikes

woodguy

I have been lurking around this forum for a few weeks, and am fascinated with the idea of getting a Cruzbike. I ride a LWB recumbent now mostly for exercise, although I enter some local duathlon's just to be able to measure my increased fitness. I have done some multiday supported rides, and have a longer term goal of doing a cross country trip. I'm not really a racer, but would love to go faster and climb better than my LWB and current engine allows.

I'm not sure if I should dive into a new Cruzbike right away so I have been looking at the Marketplace forum, but get confused with references to: Silvio's, Q559 in multiple versions, Sofriders, Q100, and all the different gearing and possible internal hub shifters etc.

Here's my question. Is there a chart or information somewhere that would help me understand the different generations of Cruzbike so I can try to get something appropriate for what I need?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
IF you look at the current product live you have:
  • V20, S40 - Performance line
  • Qx100, T50 - Comfort line
The Legacy Product Align like this:
  • V20, S40, S30, Silvio 2.x
  • Qx100, T50, Silvio 1.x, Q451/Q556, Vx2, Sofrider
If you want to sub divide
  • V20 - Race
  • S30, Silvio 2.x, Silvio 2.1 - Road
  • Qx100, Q451, Q556 - Adventure
  • T50, Vx2, Sofrider - Town / Trail

1happyreader

zen/child method
Sigh,,,,,nag nag nag,,, nope there is no reason to have a Cruzbike Historical page to be proud of.
???? How many did Ratz miss , in your opinion ? ( FreeRider ect
What was that LWB one called anyway ??
Conversion kit ,,,, maybe, it did start the ball rolling.

1happyreader

zen/child method
Some how I missed where you said forums.
I only commented on what was available to sight.
Ctl-A if you care. little joke.

no worries,,,, just stumping for a History page , as these question come up again and again.

woodguy

Thanks Ratz for that breakdown. It does help me understand some of the development of Cruzbike, but I admit that I would love more detail. It would not only be interesting to understand what changes were made in a new version to increase useability or to correct a design that caused problems, but it would also help me to get the right bike for my situation. I realize this could be a big job to assemble into an easy to read chart, but I would even be happy to be able to search for a specific model and get specs on it. I would also be happy to hear suggestions from experienced Cruzbikers on which bike might be best for me (or which bike to avoid) based on the explanation of how I ride in my first post.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I worked on a spreadsheet when someone last asked this back in the summer, poking through the Wayback Machine for info, but never did finish. I'll probably do some more on it this winter.

TerraTrike has an evolution page they last touched around 2004, and a chart of legacy specifications, as well as a narrative history of the company. I found it all quite interesting. I think it would be good for CB to have something similar.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I support the notion that there should be a historical wiki or at least chart. One of the few things lacking in information sharing is a repository of easily accessible information -- especially for the curious, potential buyer, new buyer, learner -- making this information easily available would be a huge benefit. Some of us are not as good at ferreting out the information from a forum. Also, it can be hard to decipher what is accurate, informed, reliable, etc. vs. opinion especially when new to the topic. It was overwhelming for me at first, so I ended up just riding for a year before coming back and digging into the forum. Information that has been boiled down to its essence by those who know can save piles of time and show caring towards new cruzbikers. Linking a selection of the great forum threads that expand with additional information on some of these core information resources would be a good way to tie in the forum and its assets. Well, I have stolen enough of the original poster's space - back to the regularly scheduled programming:

But I am assuming the purpose of rounding up info is to aid in choosing a suitable new ride. I would say that any model that is in good condition that you can find currently will probably suit your bill if you want to learn Moving Bottom Bracket (MBB) Cruzbike style riding, any will suit for experiencing the thrill that having a short chain transmission brings. Your price point may determine which model fairly simply. I ride the Conversion Kit (mountain bike + kit) in my avatar that I got from another member who was upgrading and if you like tweaking, learning, fiddling, modifying then that will probably be a suitable way to go but everything following would involve less work to set up and just begin using. Sofrider and then Quest/Q559/QX100 would be a progression of improvements with a purpose built bike with decent quality level (think buying a name brand bike, there is no such thing as a department store junky model. T50 is a new model, simplest and cheapest, Any of those would be a great way to start, commute, or have a lower price point - go with the T50 if you are on a budget but prefer to buy new. Any of them would make a fantastic starter. The S and V models are the high-end models that we all want and dream and drool about if we can't afford them. They have every improvement in design known to Cruzbike (or at least all the ones that have been tested and proven) and high spec parts to match. The newer the better but incremental changes - the first ones were pretty awesome, Cruzbike has just made them even better. And they hold their value very well. If you get one of those, we'll be jealous.

woodguy

Yes, my main goal is to buy the Cruzbike that will work best for me, but I also run my own business an am interested in observing product development from that standpoint. I haven't even sat on a Cruzbike yet, but I like the approach they take to marketing and based on this forum they have certainly created a loyal following. That creates trust in potential new customers like me.

From the answers Ratz and benphyr offered I am thinking a Q series is probably what is best for me. Still deciding about new vs used. The question I have today is that before the QX100 it seems like that series had an internally geared hub rather than traditional chainrings and cassette. Was that a reliable system, or did it have problems. If I do a coast to coast ride, might I have trouble getting a fix if it breaks down? I read that the internal hub can be shifted while sitting still - a nice feature but not essential. Are there other advantages or disadvantages to the internal hub? Thanks for your assistance.

billyk

Guru
QX100 it seems like that series had an internally geared hub rather than traditional chainrings and cassette. Was that a reliable system, or did it have problems. If I do a coast to coast ride, might I have trouble getting a fix if it breaks down? I read that the internal hub can be shifted while sitting still - a nice feature but not essential. Are there other advantages or disadvantages to the internal hub?

I have 8000 miles on my Q2, with the Sachs Dual-drive internal hub. It works great, no problems, no service at all (and I'm a daily commuter in rainy Seattle). Yup, it's reliable.

Yes, you can shift while stopped, a nice feature in heavy urban traffic. I also like having only 1 chairing, which means that there's room for a guard ring and I'm not facing the world with pointy, greasy teeth.

I think the hub was dropped from later versions due to weight. It is indeed heavier than a second chainring+ derailleur, and the worst aspect of the MBB design is the heavy and unwieldy front end.

woodguy

Thanks billyk. That is what I was hoping to hear about the internal hub.

Since you have 8000 miles on your Q2, I assume either you have overcome the heavy and unwieldy front end, or you find other advantages to the Cruzbike that makes that aspect worth living with.