6-12-24 World TT Championships, Report from Borrego Springs: brief

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Nevertheless, you were second overall and on the podium. He could have mentioned that intruser ;-)
Well are you sure about this? Here's what Marko says on his web site. Just saying!
baloh.jpg

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Maybe I should start coaching like Marko. Guy is getting $275 a month per person to email out a monthly training plan and some emails, and that's the cheap option :eek:

Who here want's to send me $100 a month and I'll email you a training plan and a box of donuts?

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Would those be Keto donuts? When are you going to get around to weighing that Vendetta?

scale is in storage somewhere so fat chance of that happening any time soon. Last I remember it was 26-27lbs that would be with pedals of some type and no idea if that included tool bag or other accessories. Only way I remember the weight of my Ridley was I wrote the weight under the seat but then I change the seat last year and now I can't remember.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Power vs. speed comparison for the fastest 18 mile (long lap) at Borrego Springs. I was 80 seconds faster then Jason, but he was burning 15 watts less.
82 seconds ahead of Kevin, but burning 2 fewer watts. I would conclude I was certainly more aero than Kevin, and maybe a bit more aero than Jason.
Strasser's fastest lap was 42:57 (ranked 4), but his power numbers were not on Strava.
Jim
upload_2016-11-15_21-38-15.png

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
...and here are the Cd*A estimates (and the input parameters) using R. Chung's cool online tool.
The Ninja V18 adapters and/or the Quiver tailbox must have helped me out.
Surprised my rig slipped through the air a little better than Jason's custom carbon covered frame.
This table is based on Strava speed and power for the fastest 18 mile lap, and my estimates of the rider/bike weights.
Kevin's wheels got damaged in transport, so he rented a set. Maybe they account for his higher Cd*A.
upload_2016-11-16_10-30-22.png

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
...and here are the Cd*A estimates (and the input parameters) using R. Chung's cool online tool.
Surprised my rig slipped through the air a little better than Jason's custom carbon covered frame.
This table is based on Strava speed and power for the fastest 18 mile lap, and my estimates of the rider/bike weights.
Kevin's wheels got damaged in transport, so he rented a set. Maybe they account for his higher Cd*A.
View attachment 3773

Now drop in a watts / kg column and we start to get some interesting stuff. I didn't realize Baloh was that light; he looks bigger than 175 at that height.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
upload_2016-11-16_10-30-22-png.3773
Quite impressive Jim.
This is so very close to my results and speeds with my testing at my local track earlier this year:
I took the speed and wattage data from several different runs and ran them through Chung's model, after processing the .fit file into the CVS file needed for Chung method, this is what I came up with:

V20 @ 150 watts = CdA= 0.154, avg speed = 38.66 kph = 24.02
V20 @ 203 watts = CdA= 0.160, avg speed = 42.8 kph = 26.6 mph
V20 @ 288 watts = CdA= 0.163, avg speed = 48.5 kph = 30.14

Speeds are probably faster because of the constant track elevation and me and the bike weighing in at about 170 lbs.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Quite impressive Jim.
This is so very close to my results and speeds with my testing at my local track earlier this year:
I took the speed and wattage data from several different runs and ran them through Chung's model, after processing the .fit file into the CVS file needed for Chung method, this is what I came up with:

V20 @ 150 watts = CdA= 0.154, avg speed = 38.66 kph = 24.02
V20 @ 203 watts = CdA= 0.160, avg speed = 42.8 kph = 26.6 mph
V20 @ 288 watts = CdA= 0.163, avg speed = 48.5 kph = 30.14

Speeds are probably faster because of the constant track elevation and me and the bike weighing in at about 170 lbs.

Hi Larry,
Yes, the 18 mile loop had some climbing/descending and most of it was pretty rough. Those factors are going to make the calculated Cd*A a bit higher than on a smooth track.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
View attachment 3773
I think your tail-box has a BIG aero benefit!

Larry have you done any tests with & without you tailbox?

How many inches did the Ninja V18 drop the height of the top of your shoulders from the ground?
What is the height of the top of the shoulders above the ground of Jason and Kevin?

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
I think your tail-box has a BIG aero benefit!

How many inches did the Ninja V18 drop the height of the top of your shoulders from the ground?
What is the height of the top of the shoulders above the ground of Jason and Kevin?

The V18 adapters drop my head and shoulders about 3 3/4 inches (9.5 cm). Some time when I have a low-wind day and time off work, I will do proper Cd*A testing on a 9-mile loop near my house to better quantify what the tailbox does, and what the V18 adapters do.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
The V18 adapters look awesome.
Sign me up for a pair, please.
Why?
My Sofrider V1 with the 18 degree seat on it is faster than
my Vendetta, on the flat road.
Aero is king.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The V18 adapters drop my head and shoulders about 3 3/4 inches (9.5 cm). Some time when I have a low-wind day and time off work, I will do proper Cd*A testing on a 9-mile loop near my house to better quantify what the tailbox does, and what the V18 adapters do.
What is the front/rear wheel loading with/without the V8 adaptors?
How much does it extend the wheelbase?
How much would this reduce the rear wheel loading if camping rear pannier weight of 18 kg (40 lbs) was added to a Silvio?

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
No, I have not done any test with my little tailbox.
It is pretty hard to take off and put on, so have not pursued it.
I will see if I can get an extra headrest from Cruzbike and then I can do some decent testing.
I will say upfront, as I don't expect much if any different comparable to putting a visor on the Giro helmet.
My little tailbox (really a dual wattr bottle and tool holder) is already in my slipstream and it is not designed to join the airflow back together. (If it was, it was be dis-allowed for non-faired bike.)
I think where a good test would be is to compare this water-bottle-holder-tailbox with the other "water bottle" holder where the bottles are behind your head and sholders on either side, and with sticking the water bottles under the seat.
This is where I think you would see a bigger difference, especially having them under the seat.