A couple of build questions

Kenneth

Hello,
I'm progressing with the build of my S40 and want to double check a few things.

I've read the post about figuring boom length and that it's good to have the handlebars forward for better control for beginners.
I've set up the bike with short cranks and tried peddling (with out the chain) checking for knee bend and handle bar clearance. I want to run cable and housing without excessive extra length. So is it reasonable to expect that in the "dialing in" of the boom it won't drastically change and that only a small amount of extra cable/housing length will be ok to make those adjustments?

I've measured the distance of my fd to my large ring (48t) and as posted by a few it is a 10mm gap.
Is the simplest soulution to change out the ring to a larger size that closes the gap? I saw the post about an adaptor for the fd and its cost is close to the price of a larger ring. Is there any other reasonble soultions to this issue?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Make the cables long it so much easier and less expensive to shorten them. During the tweaking process you can keep them out of the way with scotch33+ electrical tape. You can use a a lot of tape before that costs you more than new housing. I know from experience it's too easy to make them too short.

Last edited:

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Make the cables long it so much easier and less expensive to shorten them. During the tweaking process you can keep them out of the way with scotch33+ electrical tape. You can use a a lot of tape before that cost you more than new housing. I know from experience it's too easy to make them too short.

+1

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Ken,

The FD stalk is really only sized for a 50T or larger - like a 50/34 double. We are investigating options for adapters that will allow FD adjustment for smaller chainrings like a 48etc.

And ditto on the cable comments above.

Robert

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
50 tooth ring still too small on my build - see S40 questions thread. Leaves a gap to bottom of FD way to big to work smoothly. Also braze on tab angle leaves FD at an unworkable angle. Shift to large ring eithe over shifts off the outside or - if I dial in the outer limit screw to prevent over shift - it can't move far enough to shift? Any suggestions?

ccf

Guru
50 tooth ring still too small on my build - see S40 questions thread. Leaves a gap to bottom of FD way to big to work smoothly. Also braze on tab angle leaves FD at an unworkable angle. Shift to large ring eithe over shifts off the outside or - if I dial in the outer limit screw to prevent over shift - it can't move far enough to shift? Any suggestions?

50t Q-ring solved that problem on my Vendetta.