Bicycle stand.

Discussion in 'Adventure Series (Q451, Q559, QX100)' started by Barney, May 15, 2017.

1. Barney

Barney New Member

Newbie here. Is there a bike stand that works with a QX100? I would like to get it off the ground to do simple maintenance, cleaning, lube the chain etc. I have a simple one for my road bike but it won't work with the QX.

2. Emeljay

Emeljay Well-Known Member

I use a Parktool PCS10, usually clamp it on the seat back post:

tmp_6252-IMG_20170515_103523738~011129114628.jpg

Edit: I should have mentioned that it is clamped this way when I am working on the boom (I work on my boom alot with my steering moded X100 and soon to be moded Q):

tmp_3965-IMG_20170516_070453224~0158858857.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  3. Barney

Barney New Member

Thanks for replying, you actually answered two things, I was wondering where to clamp it, thanks for the picture.

4. I have a Park Tool PCS9. I clamp both my S30 and my Q on the front triangle (boom/slider). Since the Q has 24" wheels, I usually put a plastic bucket or something under the rear wheel to level it out. Got the idea from ReklinedRider:

The V Chronicles

5. Barney

Barney New Member

The QX100 has 26" wheels, is there enough adjustment to have the bike clear the ground and how do you secure the heavy front end that just wants to flop one side or the other.

6. Barney

Barney New Member

My last comment was for the PCS9. Trying to save a couple bucks vs the 10. I'm also having a rough time getting used to riding it, already fell a few times. I guess I should post that in a different forum or thread.

7. ratz

ratz Wielder of the Rubber Mallet

With the pcs 9. Clamp the boom. Leave rear wheel on ground. If you need it higher put an orange five gallon bucket (aka orange Home Depot style) open side up to hold the wheel. If you need to work level put bucket under each wheel

IMG_6299.JPG

8. Yes, there's plenty of adjustment. I have the arm-to-floor distance set at around 42". My Silvio S30 with 700C wheels clears the ground with several inches to spare. The clamp can be rotated to whatever angle you need, and then tightened at that angle (separately from tightening the clamp around the tube on your bike), so it won't flop around.

IMG_1268_resize.jpg
    Have you been working through the learning-to-ride checklist? What part is giving you trouble? I had to slam my feet down (more than) a few times, but never actually fell.

9. Barney

Barney New Member

Ok, thanks for the photo!

I'm falling to the right doing circles. I have been doing exactly like they say on the check list. I am going to just ride it until I get more comfortable before I start doing circles. I have a very large parking lot to practice on. I'm 71 YO so the adaptive brain takes a bit longer I guess. I am determined so it's just a matter of time.

10. cranky cyclist

cranky cyclist Well-Known Member

I am 67 and it took about two weeks to feel comfortable.

11. Barney

Barney New Member

Ah ha, there is hope for us boomers yet! I'll keep plugging away.

12. Zzzorse

Zzzorse Guru

Skill #6 is what did it for me. Boomer also.

13. OK, here's a little more detail from Ratz's original checklist, Spring Time - Learning To Ride Time. Maybe this will help:

I belong to the last year of the Boom.

14. Barney

Barney New Member

You are correct, I'm sure I lean in unconsciously therefore a trip to the ground. I have to give my elbow a couple days rest after my last episode but I'll pay more attention in the turns in the future.

15. SamP

SamP Guru

You might want to get some knee and elbow pads like skate and skateboarders use, until you fall over less.

16. Barney

Barney New Member

LOL, bought elbow pads today.