Bikism Is For Real; starting over again

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I have been part of a local bicycle club since the late nineties, a good portion of that time riding one recumbent, or the other and a spattering of uprights. After about a five year hiatus from riding and especially the club, I have returned. Yeah, I know, big deal.

I've taken time off the bike before. Maybe a few months, maybe a year, but never this long. In the time I've been away, the club has grown a lot; there are many new faces in leadership and in the general riding population. I'm the "new guy" to a lot of people and a new guy riding a really weird bike. I'm also a 57 year old gray beard, so nobody really takes me that seriously. I'm OK with that, it's just a little weird to adapt to.

Technology has changed, too. GPS was a thing when I checked out, but battery life was a problem and they still had a lot of bugs to work out. Bikes are lighter, I see more and more disc brakes and the rides have changed. It used to be that rides were a destination, either for coffee, or lunch, then the return. Sometimes, they were just messing around rides, where you would head off aimlessly, following an individual that knew his/her way around and you'd discover new routes. Now, everybody wants a GPS route they can follow (some get a little tweaked if the ride leader varies the route) and they want to be back by such and such time so they can wash their cat, or whatever. The rides are rushed, now, where they used to be all-day love affairs with your bike. Again, I'm OK with it, I just find it different and note the changes.

My comeback began in late January last year and was interrupted in late May by life and then a broken bone in my foot. I got back on the bike in October and still managed to get 1200 miles in for the year. I shake my head a little, because I know that at one point in time, I was riding close to 1000 mile months. Not ever month, of course, but there were some.

The old familiar faces, friends from days gone by, are just fine with me. They all know I can ride and just expect me to ride the way I ride and they know where the "sweet spot" is to get a little bit of a draft off me. That part has been fun. Catching up with old friends and spending time on the road has been really rewarding.

The new guard of club members has been a different experience, for me. Sure, I've experienced the bikeism that a lot of you speak of, but not to this degree. I've always been on the inside as they come from the outside. Now, I find myself as the outsider, looking to get in. You all know the drill, I'm sure. People don't trust you to ride on your wheel. They don't want to ride alongside you. Just getting them to talk to me has been trying and I know that part is because I am unfamiliar and part is because of the bike. Weird, but I think true. Having been around the block a time, or two, I expected it and I also did my work before joining in on club rides, making sure I wasn't "that guy", holding up the group.

I feel like I have to prove myself on one hand and yet, on another, I really wonder why? I've had to rethink how I approach people and spend my time on the rides. Since I'm still finding my own groove, to some extent, I've made a routine of starting at the back and after a bit of visiting with old friends, riding up to the front. I will sprint ahead for a while and then let the group catch and pass me, then doing it all over again. It's a little bit like interval training, so really good in that regard. I realize it may seem a little anti-social on the surface, just doing my own thing on a group ride, but the conversation is sparse and the silence is deafening. So, I make use of the time and slowly, but surely, the folks I ride with most are starting to come around. The questions and comments about the bike are beginning to level off and people are growing less likely to freak and geek when they get passed on a hill by a recumbent. A few, though, still remark about seeing feet flying past them out of the corner of their eyes!

The comeback has been an interesting time, for sure. It's taken about a year, with the 4-5 month break due to the broken foot, but I'm beginning to feel like I'm accepted. Sometime this summer, I'm sure, I will be jumping groups to the faster pack and then I might be starting again, to some degree. They see me around, though and they'll know I can ride, so I'm not too worried about it. In fact, I'm looking forward to it.

I love group riding, even mixing in with uprights. I believe there is a "safety in numbers" aspect that is important and I'm also a big fan of the fellowship one enjoys being a part of the group.

Sorry for the lengthy nature of this post.

Mark

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Hey Mark

Good intro.

I wondered why I grew a grey beard.

It was Kings day here in Spain just a few days ago. The three wise men all had beards too.

Guess we think more about the quality of our ride now that we have seen the light and joy that such a ride can give.

There is nothing that can touch the ride of the Vendetta. Even the last aero track bike I put together ... great for sprinting and might even be able to outrun a V on a short race but the V is the bike.

It is the bike I love to ride.

I get back sweating my head off with a great big grin and swallow that protein recovery shake in a few gulps.

It's a joy to be young again. Thank you.

Bike of the year an S40. That's something I will have to try in 2018.

Would I swap my V for an S? Couldn't say.

I would say that my current V with it's oddities and characteristics is irreplaceable.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Ahh, Mark, you and I will always be members of the "gray beard honor guard" around here. Always good to hear from you.

My riding fell off steadily since about 2010, particularly around 2012 when I started doing the work of my life, which carried me overseas pretty constantly and lots of my at-home time turned into jet-lag recovery followed by additional travel. We do what we gotta do.

I also suspect it's no secret that I loved developing and building bikes more than I was captivated by riding them. I love drilling into what makes things work, what makes them not work, and what makes them work better.

So now I'm 59, the hair I retain is resplendent salt-and-pepper gray, I am not in particularly great shape, and my interest in bikes is returning. But I've really thought about what I loved about them, and what didn't matter so much, so I'm going to "do more of what makes me happy," as the saying goes.

All that hard work enabled me to buy a condo at Virginia Beach, where I don't have to fear for my life every time I get on a bike, as they have really good bike infrastructure there. So I'll be riding more and more, I suspect.

Bikeism is silly. With the exception of charity rides, which I've always enjoyed, riding has always been a "me" thing or a "me and family" thing. When I was in high school, I rode 15 miles per day to visit my girlfriend (now my wife of 34 years), and in those days I was a beast - I was the nerd in gym class who could leg press 720 pounds. Nowadays, when I go on group rides I'm riding the "wrong kind of bike." Really? All this advocacy for bike infrastructure and begging for support but I'm an outcast because I'm riding the wrong bike? My most ironic memory was when I passed a USS long-wheelbase recumbent on my old Redbike conversion and the guy said "oh, you ride one of those weird recumbents." Really?

Here's how I'm looking at it these days:

I'm an old guy. I got money. I can ride anything I want. And got nothin' to prove to any of you MOFOs! If I'm happy, KMACYOYO. (Kiss My Ass, Chief, You're On Your Own!)

Bentas

Yay Doug, good to hear you are getting inspired and freed up to do some more cycling , I started building recumbents about 12 years ago and drew a lot of inspiration from pics and posts of your various builds.
I cycle mostly alone but like you enjoy the few large group charity rides that are held down here in Tas Aus.
I'm 60 and a bit overweight I am really blessed to have what I would call a cyling mentor Dave ( Grasshopper)
He is 70 , he rides an upright and likes to ride for enjoyment, still touring about six months of the year ,when riding with him it's average of around 20 Klm's hr for no less than 6hrs on quiet back country roads, dropping in for coffee and lunch at various tourist eateries , checking streams to see if there are any trout running and arriving home with a sense that my feel good endorphin tank is full.
Yes we get passed by groups of MAMIL'S with with heads down and faces red going for KOM's
But hey it's a year or two away from empty nest at home , and I'm about to embark on my first multi day tour with Dave ,homebuilt Mbb and bob trailer , and hope to be still doing this for the next couple or decades, life's good , totally cool with being a tortoise not a hare.

Last edited:

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Grey of beard am I, although my hair still grows. I have no mentor but I do have a Grasshopper. Never tried a club ride. Did a charity ride once. The only people who pass me are MAMILs. The engineering issues in cycling are interesting. Tyre width, crank length, rake-and-trail, mid-foot placement... it goes on and on, and there are so many different shapes of bike. Some people just want to get a Trek and race it in the peloton. That is their thing. I thought and thought about cutting the boom of my Silvio, and when I did it made a big improvement. I love this bike now.

Grey wolf. Lone wolf. Ride the way you like.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
cutting the boom of my Silvio
I did that with the Vendetta. Then I decided on shortened cranks and found out my boom wasnt long enough.

Fortunately Robert came to the rescue.

Heck ... these bikes are great to tinker with

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I had this idea about pushing the handlebars really far forward. This needed a short boom, even with the short cranks. I have 145 cranks.

3WHELZ

Guru
Add me to the list that Doug has helped; I am forever grateful. Nine years ago, I joined this tribe and attribute my leap of faith based mostly on the email exchanges with Doug and reading Mark’s experiences as an early Silvio adopter.

I recall Doug saving the day for those of us that opted to install Campy 10sp component on our Silvios. He personally milled out the hanger and created the spacer needed to allow chain clearance.

On behalf of those of us that like to tinker, keep those creative juices flowing!

Dean

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Ahh, Mark, you and I will always be members of the "gray beard honor guard" around here. Always good to hear from you.
<snip>
I'm an old guy. I got money. I can ride anything I want. And got nothin' to prove to any of you MOFOs! If I'm happy, KMACYOYO. (Kiss My Ass, Chief, You're On Your Own!)

I am definitely a gray beard and I'm OK with that.

Good to see you still around, Doug. You are still one of the faces of Cruzbike, to me.

I'm a little on the fence with what I want to do with my riding this time around. I'm reinventing myself physically and I can do pretty much whatever I want to. I find that my fitness is coming back pretty quickly, but I'm having a hard time finding the time to build my mileage base. I'm doing other things to build fitness, but nothing replaces road miles.

Part of me is content to be the grandpa that surprises folks now and again. That's not in my nature, though. I'm the kind that's "in for a penny, in for a pound." That part of me wants to be the guy that when I show up, people go, "Oh, shift... There's that guy, this is gonna hurt!"

I don't know who I'm kidding, other than myself. I AM a grandpa.

Mark

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
I am definitely a gray beard and I'm OK with that.

Good to see you still around, Doug. You are still one of the faces of Cruzbike, to me.

I'm a little on the fence with what I want to do with my riding this time around. I'm reinventing myself physically and I can do pretty much whatever I want to. I find that my fitness is coming back pretty quickly, but I'm having a hard time finding the time to build my mileage base. I'm doing other things to build fitness, but nothing replaces road miles.

Part of me is content to be the grandpa that surprises folks now and again. That's not in my nature, though. I'm the kind that's "in for a penny, in for a pound." That part of me wants to be the guy that when I show up, people go, "Oh, shift... There's that guy, this is gonna hurt!"

I don't know who I'm kidding, other than myself. I AM a grandpa.

Mark

I have a special appreciation for bad-a$$ Grandpas. Hurt'em, Mark!

NeaL

Guru
I have a special appreciation for bad-a$$ Grandpas. Hurt'em, Mark!
Doug! I don't think I've seen you posting much here since back when I got my Sofrider last July-ish.

I might be still taking you up on your offer to come down to the Richmond area. Since last summer, I've ordered three Cruzbike T50 frame sets for my three kids and I'm getting a four-bike rack for the tail hitch of my truck so I can haul them and their bikes around. I hope to get the three frames built up by the end of February when the 3rd & final T50 ought to be shipped to us. The other two frame sets were here for Christmas.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Doug! I don't think I've seen you posting much here since back when I got my Sofrider last July-ish.

I might be still taking you up on your offer to come down to the Richmond area. Since last summer, I've ordered three Cruzbike T50 frame sets for my three kids and I'm getting a four-bike rack for the tail hitch of my truck so I can haul them and their bikes around. I hope to get the three frames built up by the end of February when the 3rd & final T50 ought to be shipped to us. The other two frame sets were here for Christmas.
Come on down! Just let me know ahead of time so that: A. I can make sure I'm in-country (my travel has picked up markedly again) and B. We can get in the garage without threat of bodily harm from stuff stacked all over the place.