Bottle Cages

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Anybody else notice how people think you can't reach the bottle cages on the seat back? I hear it all the time. One fellow recumbent rider expressed to me what a neat bike the Silvio was and then said, "Too bad you can't drink while you ride!" Huh? If you can scratch your back, you can reach those bottles! Oh well.

Mark

Gromit

Guru
Water bottle juggling! :lol:
When I pull the bottle out of the cage, it is the wrong way round in my hand. I have small hands so I have to balance the bottle against my belly to spin it around to get a drink. I then have to reverse the procedure before returning the bottle to its cage.
So taking hydration takes a bit of forethought as I have to allow sufficient time to complete the whole procedure before making any manoeuvre. :(

WhiteSilvio

Gromit wrote: Water bottle juggling! :lol:
I have to say I haven't master this trick. I cheated and solved the problem with Camelbak handsfree kits, one from behind the seat and the other from a cage on the TFT. I don't want to chance having some kind of mishap, even though I am already upside down!!
John R

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
If the Silvio seat is anything like the Conversion seat, yes, I can reach it...but it is a b*tch. I got serious arm cramping the first time I tried it. I hate bottles anyway. I'll be going the Camelbak route, thank yew!

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I used to hate bottles. The Silvio sort of broke me of that. I can reach the bottles easily, even while cruising at speeds over 20 mph..

Mark

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I like Doug's solution...but the Fastback system allows me to hang almost 2 litres on the bike...about 2hrs worth (at least, in the heat of the summer here). I rode 30 mi today and felt dehydrated for most of the ride (though I took two 'bottle breaks'). I'm much more used to having that Camelbak bite-valve hanging on my shirt-front where I can sip a bit every mile or two.

I'm going to remove the Fastback from the Baron and see about modifying it for the Conversion. Shouldn't be a big problem...I'm a hot-rodder from way back. :cool: