Carbon Fiber Fun

pedlpadl

That box is awesome. Makes me want to try my hand. Has anyone worked with Kydex? It's a thermoplastic used to make knife sheaths and holsters. I think it would make a fairly lightweight, sturdy tail box and be easy to work with.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Okay, pretty much have the CF Tailbox completed, for now! For the winter time when I require only one water bottle, I will construct a lid with one hole, and mount the bottle (and go back to the thin walled standard bike bottle) in the center. This way I will have more room for a heaver jacket, etc.

The bottom is lined with a very thin Sponge Neoprene With Adhesive.

On each outer-side of the water bottles, I have my tube, tire levers, tube patch kit, tire patch, multi-tool, and co2 inflation with 2 cartridges.

In the back compartment, I have my phone, money bag, reading glasses (I wear contacts when riding), light jacket, and fuel.

Vendetta- Carbon-Fiber-Tailbox1.jpg

Vendetta- Carbon-Fiber-Tailbox7.jpg

Click the below to enlarge!

Vendetta- Carbon-Fiber-Tailbox3.jpg Vendetta- Carbon-Fiber-Tailbox4.jpg Vendetta- Carbon-Fiber-Tailbox2.jpg Vendetta- Carbon-Fiber-Tailbox5.jpg Vendetta- Carbon-Fiber-Tailbox6.jpg

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Okay, pretty much have the CF Tailbox completed, for now! For the winter time when I require only one water bottle, I will construct a lid with one hole, and mount the bottle (and go back to the thin walled standard bike bottle) in the center. This way I will have more room for a heaver jacket, etc.

The bottom is lined with a very thin Sponge Neoprene With Adhesive.

On each outer-side of the water bottles, I have my tube, tire levers, tube patch kit, tire patch, multi-tool, and co2 inflation with 2 cartridges.

In the back compartment, I have my phone, money bag, reading glasses (I wear contacts when riding), light jacket, and fuel.

View attachment 2486

View attachment 2487

Click the below to enlarge!

View attachment 2488 View attachment 2489 View attachment 2490 View attachment 2491 View attachment 2492

A VERY good use of space!! AND it looks good as well!!
AND it only weighs ????? grams , for a total volume of ?? L

Is there space under the water bottles to store tools tubes etc?
On a side photo, could you please mark where the wattle bottle stops.

Which CF seat is it moulded to?
Is there much difference in top of the seat shape of the other CF seats that you have, so that the CF rear bag can fit them?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Thanks SS - there is space to the outer edge, In-between, and front of water bottles. That's where I've stored stuff like tools, tubes, etc, that I don't need constant access to.

If you look at the box from a side view, you will notice bottles are angled. The back portion of the bottles are about 1/8" from bottom of box, with the front portion being a few inches.

The box is molded to the Thor seat sport g model. The other seats I have are Hostel Shoppe, I'm sure I could figure something out if I really wanted to mate the other seats the box.

Something I forgot to mention - the water bottles and box lid are supported by the seat and not the box. I stole a bunch of ideas from: Jim Parker, Ratz, Jason, and Gary, and Bentup Reumbents.

jond

Zen MBB Master
wow rick you are a clever handy pioneer. what a tremendous result mate. well done it looks so great top notch professional with a well thought out design. a1 bling.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Revision to tailbox lid. I decided that I wanted quicker access to my phone and other small items without having to remove the entire lid. So I cut the lid, basically in half and laminated a nylon strap to the underside, which works as a hinge. I cut down, and drilled out 2 GoPro thumbscrews. Rear thumbscrew latches with Velcro to give easy access to rear cargo, car keys, phone, etc.

CF-seatbox1.jpg CF-seatbox2.jpg

BentAero

Rick,
I can't even begin to say how impressed I am with your tailbox layup. Good job Man, It looks fantastic!

Vacuum bagging will result in a lighter, stronger finished product, but does come with yet another learning curve. Don't take it for granted. It's not difficult, but there are a lot of do's and don'ts and frustrations such as seam leaks. Since you're using wet layup, you'll need to use a slow cure hardener to keep it from beginning to set while applying the bagging layers and the vacuum pump draws down. You'll likely want to practice your bagging process on something small that you don't care about to get your routine down. Pay special attention to any inside corners that the peel-ply, breather, or bag could bridge. If bridging occurs, you'll get an ugly void in that area that will leave excess resin -which is a weak point.

Though these guys have a vested interest, this is a very good instructional on vac bagging that might be helpful: http://www.fibreglast.com/product/v...es-for-room-temp-applications/Learning_Center