Chain WAXing (yes it's that easy) - and other mysteries of this art!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I just recently got some chain at a good price; the vendor sent them in custom baggies; so I asked if he could sell by the foot and explained the market. He was very interested in the idea and was checking with his suppliers to see if he can do bunk. If he can he'll make a proposal to see if it's of interest to us and the boys and girls at BROL....

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Good to hear. I just want to add that cost is still of higher importance then only using an single quick link. If I can buy 3 x11sl chains for $50 and make two vendetta chains with a bunch left over for future chains then I'm not going to spend $100 on a single chain out of bulk. This really only works if it's as cost effective as our current setups because honestly two quick links isn't an issue.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
So speaking of KMC and Quick links I had a missing link on a brand new x10sl chain break during install. Damn thing looked half way together and ready for a little kick from the crank to snap it in place but only one side took hold. Next try and one of the pins fell out. Not the first time I've only had one side take but it's the first time ever ever seen a quick link fail. I sent a message to KMC with a pic and they promptly requested my info so they could send me a new link. Weird failure but good customer service.

04C4B195-F4BA-49E7-A0CE-3AB7EA4CFA8B_zpsiutyaafq.jpg

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
More gold chain then any thug rapper on MTV :eek:

Two per bike they add up fast. In this case just making sure that if it rains in Portland that we have fresh chains for the next day. We have 4 bikes in the truck; and after driving 26 hours I am not taking out the crock pot to dip a wet chain. Bring on 5 days of riding and no work

Tigerpaw

Squirt lube can save you in case of rain. It's a lil' cheaper than extra chains. Wax based and you can just chunk it in the crock pot when back at home base.

Balor

Zen MBB Master
While auto-oiler is is nothing new (just like Jason said), the 'water-solubility' aspect is a stroke of genius. The oil is likely some sort of PAG, they have powerful lubricity and are water-soluble. So, you can simply wash it off with water if it will gets too dirty and reapply!
But the price! o_O Sheesh.

However, for shorter riders that involves a lot of mud waxing (proper waxing, not dry wax lubricants they used - as in 'boil in wax + additives') would still be better, because it would prevent dirt from going into friction pairs altogether.
But I should experiment with PAGs right away! I think it would make an excellent ADDITION to wax (in case you run out of 'waxing' somewhere far from your trusty crock pot), because you can easily wash it off with water and than rewax.

Balor

Zen MBB Master
BTW, PPG and PEG (polypropylene glycol and polyethylene glycol) are also PAGs (propylene and ethylene are alkenes)... well, kinda like olive oil is an ester lubricant :).
And they are cheap, plentiful, PPG is completely nontoxic (essentially food-safe), PEG a bit more so. Accidentally, I have some PPG, will experiment with it.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
So here are pics of the equipment I used to clean and wax my chain. While my Silvio was always fairly quite, I am amazed at the smoothness in shifting and the overall results so far. I took her out for a 40 mile jaunt last Saturday and wow! I am hooked.

I should add that as a complete rookie, I had never taken a chain off of a bicycle before. Once I figured out how to remove the"quick link" it was a snap...literally.

I went to the Molten Speed Wax website and read all of their instructions. I also watched the video on cleaning. Since I was in a bit of a rush to get this done for my Saturday ride, I fudged a little on some of the steps...only because I didn't have all of the recommended "ingredients" on hand at the time. I have since ordered everything they suggested for the next wax treatment.

Attachments

• 2016-10-06 18.48.45.jpg
    2016-10-06 18.48.45.jpg
    839.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

quickbeam

I had no idea there was so much to say just about chains!
I don't think I've had a chain break since I was a kid riding an old rattle-trap (learned about the master link then). Admittedly, I'm not putting in the miles most of you do, but for instance I had a hybrid bike that I did some mountain biking with and more street riding, getting mud and such splashed on it and several thousand miles of riding. Rarely wiped down the bike, and very rarely oiled the chain (generally with WD40). Still have that bike after 21 years, still original chain. Why are people ordering 2 chains per bike? Are the power users really that rough on chains?

Re: the OP, the look of a waxed chain is intriguing, no oil on the pants or socks would be a good thing, so I'm surprised it hasn't caught on long ago.