Chain WAXing (yes it's that easy) - and other mysteries of this art!

DavidJL

This is my first time with Molten Speed Wax. I noticed less buildup on chains than with just plain dunking in regular paraffin. My slow cooker appears to reach just 140 degrees on the high setting, as measured with a candy thermometer. To think I used to melt my wax on the kitchen stove, with the heat turned very low. So what temperature will harm the temper of the chain? Couldn't find a coat hanger to make a dunking tool, so found old spoke works just fine. Will be interesting to see if the wax successfully penetrated the chain.

quickbeam

So I guess this is what happens to the chainring when you don't change your chain for 21 years... I thought you only changed them when they broke, what a noob!
OTOH, it's done pretty well for nearly zero maintenance.

WornTeeth.jpg

Last edited:

hoyden

Two days ago I changed out the chain after 1,442 miles, almost all of it indoors on rollers. My average speed increased 1.5 mph and the decrease in resistance was quite noticeable. Lesson learned no to run the chains for 1,000+ miles.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
You got me to change my chain, and :eek:!

I already had a prepared waxed chain, same type as before. OK, so why did I not change out the chain, or at least rewax the old one? Got lazy maintenance wise, just like to ride! :)

Here are pics with stats from this mornings ride and also test ride with new chain which also shows increase in speed with new chain.:D

tmp_7666-Old chain-1861217847.png
tmp_7666-Test-31566109.png
tmp_7666-NewChain338019789.jpg

hoyden

Got lazy maintenance wise, just like to ride! :)
This is the "Wrench or Ride" dilemma. The chain change is tricky because it sneaks up on you and it's easy to put it off until tomorrow, whereas a flat demands immediate action. I have 3 waxed chains so it's easy to rotate and at some future date I will rewax all 3. My new data point is 1,400 miles is too long so I will dial back to 500 miles. I do 20 miles at a time on rollers so that comes out to changing chains about once a month.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
A waxed chain is more likely to be changed, at least by me, as it is sooooooooo much less messy, touching it is no longer anathema. This means less wear on the rest of the drivetrain, which is a nice bonus.

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
A waxed chain is more likely to be changed, at least by me, as it is sooooooooo much less messy, touching it is no longer anathema. This means less wear on the rest of the drivetrain, which is a nice bonus.
Exactly. I keep bikes indoors in a spare room, no worries about any messy mishap whatsoever.

Jayrob

Ok, I have read ever post on this thread, and today I went out and bought 2 pounds of wax. I really like the idea of a clean, none greasy chain. I will have to wait until after tomorrow to clean the chain and wax it, I have to go out and chase some wedgies tomorrow with a group of old farts like myself on recumbents. The oldest member of the group is 79.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Ok, I have read ever post on this thread, and today I went out and bought 2 pounds of wax. I really like the idea of a clean, none greasy chain. I will have to wait until after tomorrow to clean the chain and wax it, I have to go out and chase some wedgies tomorrow with a group of old farts like myself on recumbents. The oldest member of the group is 79.
Welcome to the dar.... errr forever Clean side.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Anyone have an easy methods for cleaning off wax flakes that have embedded themselves to my fork and chain stays as well as the side of my trainer? Trying to simply brush them off only smoothes then into the surface. I wondering if Goof Off or something similar will have a dissolving effect on the wax and not hurt the plastic of my trainer.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Anyone have an easy methods for cleaning off wax flakes that have embedded themselves to my fork and chain stays as well as the side of my trainer? Trying to simply brush them off only smoothes then into the surface. I wondering if Goof Off or something similar will have a dissolving effect on the wax and not hurt the plastic of my trainer.

Ok so I answered my own equestrian. Mineral Spirits will break down and devolve wax without harming plastics or paint. It the wax I'd caked on thick you'll want to use an old Cedit card to scrape off what you can. Soak part of a rag in MS an work it into the wax slowly. There no real way to rush the process and once the wax contaminates the rag repeat the soak and rubbing process again with a fresh part of the rag.

Jayrob

I have too much respiratory trouble breathing the fumes from MS, so I would use my wife's hair dryer, or if I could find my 3 heat setting heat gun, I would use that. Too much heat could put a wrinkle or two in the plastic. But I am old and lazy, except for riding.

Jayrob

Bought a 4 oz bottle of Squirt. I applied it today and will give me opinion after a couple of rides. I got lazy and my chain is over 11' long. Tried the paraffin wax, but way too much trouble to take chain off. If the Squirt does as promised, I will get the 32 oz bottle.

I have been using Squirt for a couple of years. I think it is great! I don't have to take the chain off. You do need to start with a clean chain. A new chain has some kind of goo on it that needs to be cleaned off first.