Climbing and bb height, low gears

hoyden

That much lean seriously compromises the grip and hold of the tire. While that's not related to climbing it's a reminder to think different, the bike is different.
Thank you for pointing out what I have unconsciously perceived where danger lurks. Since my front wheel blowout a few weeks ago I have dialed back my enthusiastic cornering except for figure 8's in the lot. At least with the 8's if I go down it will be at a lower speed.
Up rights go over the bars head first; we wash out rear wheels
I've gone AoT (aka derriere over breasts) on a DF and broke my collarbone in 4 places. Not wearing a helmet at the time and fortunate I landed mainly on my shoulder and not my head although that didn't save my glasses from destruction. I've washed out too many times to count on all 5 recumbents I've owned with the price paid being some road and ego rash and always able to ride away.

Now a helmet and rear view mirror are the first items on my MEL (minimum equipment list) ahead of a pump and spare tube. I find recumbents way more fun to ride than DF, and Cruzbike way more fun than RWD recumbents.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Since my front wheel blowout a few weeks ago I have dialed back my enthusiastic cornering except for figure 8's in the lot

I have to think a Marathon Plus would be perfect for your riding; when they are new they are fast as they wear they are a training aid; they'll also never puncture until you run them thread bare.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/Marathon_Plus_HS440
https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/energizer_plus

And my favorite
https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/marathon_420

hoyden

I have to think a Marathon Plus would be perfect for your riding
I had no idea such tires existed. I like having 5mm between my tire and the flat spot. I could trust those on the limestone trails. Thanks for pointer.
Will 28's fit vendetta
Same question for my S30. I have 700x28 Kenda West tires. They are a close fit with less than 1/8" closest clearance.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Will 28's fit vendetta V2. I gots to know.
Same question for my S30. I have 700x28 Kenda West tires. They are a close fit with less than 1/8" closest clearance.

Maybe, but a 25mm in that tire is going to be a lot of cushion. But best way order your first set from https://www.perennialcycle.com or drive there you are so close; I bet they have them in stock and would let you try and see and swap if it doesn't fit. A lot of amazon shops have easy returns; buy 1 and, try it; and if it doesn't fit just click the "I ordered the wrong size button" as long as you reorder the right size getting 2 you are good to go.

One can learn a lot on the Schwable we side......

hoyden

Perennial Cycle; I knew them as Calhoun Cycle. I bought my first two recumbents from Luke; a Vision R40 USS in 2000 and a Bacchetta Strada in 2004. I also bought my Birdy there. I drop by occasionally but less so lately since I jumped ship and bought an Azub Max in 2012.

I like the idea of a very durable tire while the cheapskate in me ponders the cost (Warren Buffet I am not) when I can buy 2 Kendas + tubes for one Schwalbe. I can definitely make the case for buying one for the front. I get front flats way more often. Two Uber rides pay for the tire. Once I can get some hands on experience then I can argue with my inner cheapskate into springing for the rear. There's the Red Cedar Trail in Menomonie, WI that I would like to ride again someday but would be leery of doing it with my current tires.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
I've been using Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires 35x559 or 28x559 for a couple of years. My main riding is daily commuting/errands about 30 miles with pleasure rides a couple times weekly usually about30-40 miles), usually using panniers loaded weighing about 20lbs. These schwalbe tires seem bullet proof as the only flats I've had 2 times in 2 years have been pinch flats, once hitting a pothole and then hitting the gate wheel guide going into my work parking lot. Yes, pinch flats - because I only inflate my tubes to about 70psi (95 is max) to give a very comfortable ride. Before these tires I was using several different tires like Serfa City Drifters which were as comfortable to ride, but the goat heads and general road debris just killed them flatting out several times a month. So now I flat out less in a year than I did before in a month so the expense of the Schwalbe Marathon Plus is worth it to me.

hoyden

Thanks, Emeljay, for your report, and thank you, ratz, for putting these tires on my radar. When I do these tires, not if, I will do front and rear because I want to expand my riding envelope to include the many unpaved limestone surfaced trails in the area. I already run my S30 at 85psi with a comfortable ride so 95psi won't be an issue.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Speaking of rear "chainstay" extenders, isn't this what's unstalled on Jim Parker's Vendetta in this pic?
Looks like it Andrei. I'm thinking this has dropped his seat in the rear, giving him a more aero recline. It appears to have dropped the rear axel about 2".

Edit, info from Jim:

Hey, what's that on my rear wheel? These CNC'd parts showed up at my house literally the day before I flew out to the race. I've heard it's always good to test new equipment in a race. These bolt-on brackets dropped my backrest angle about 4-5 degrees (to about 18 degrees) and head tube angle to just under 70 degrees. The bike handled great and probably was faster for a tall guy like me. Official Cd*A testing to come later

Last edited:

ccf

Guru
they'll also never puncture until you run them thread bare

I managed to flat my rear tire when I was riding on Marathon Plus. Happened in an industrial area that has a lot of debris on the road. The good news is that I was able to ride on the flat tire for two miles without a problem, and could have gone farther. They are so thick and stiff that they almost don't need air.

-Cliff

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I had Continental Contact on my Grasshopper and they seemed to be made of incredibly stiff stuff. So much so that it took a long time for me to notice I had a flat. Fast, wear-resistant and almost impossible to get on and off the wheel.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Will 28's fit vendetta V2. I gots to know.
Definitely. I used 28mm all last year on both front and rear. I used chinook compass pass tires. Very good and would use them again for touring.

Not for racing

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I ran Schwalbe Ones on my tour, and spun out on 12-14% wet asphalt.
I chose tubeless specifically so I could run lower pressures and get a larger contact patch in the wet. I suspect it really helped-- when I was running my other tires (unfortunately not Marathons), I was losing traction at about that with dry roads.

hoyden

I knew it, a taildragger! Nice RV.
Think of it like a Cruzbike with an extra wheel. It's sleek and fast and you have to steer them every second when they are on the ground. Sound like you have an aviation connection also?