CruzBikers on Zwift

Discussion in 'Cruzbike Class (Riding & Refining your Technique)' started by RojoRacing, Dec 18, 2016.

1. RojoRacing

RojoRacing Donut Powered Wise-guy

I would call an improve ftp test resulting in an ftp increase plus a solid race a rough day, I call that unconventional progress. The way I figure it is your FTP is always "at least" as high as your highest test result. If you suck at performing the test or perform the test in a less then optimal recovered state and score 200 then chances are you FTP could be 220, 240 or even higher. I just scored 318 for 20 mins so 95% of that is 302. I raced hard monday and Tuesday plus the pacing of the KISS was way higher than 318 for the first 5-10 mins while I was trying to hang on so my physical state was below optimal and pacing was not great. So its safe to assume my actual FTP could be higher than 302 but it's hard to say just how much higher. This is about where I always seem to plateau so I'll need to try a little harder or maybe something a little different if I ever want to reach that magic 350 watt ftp.

2. RojoRacing

:lol that music :lol you may want to find something a little more new age if you want to entertain the younger generations.

3. trplay

trplay Zen MBB Master

Yeah, I agree we have a bunch of barriers to overcome with music being just one of many. Unfortunately, the music is for the racer not the adoring fans so change is doubtful.

4. CruzLike

CruzLike Well-Known Member

Hardy, after watching the video. I'm sure you missed your calling. I would love to hear more of your "play by play".

Go Ms Daisy!

5. RojoRacing

P race in T-minus 40 mins

6. RojoRacing

Excellent P race today you guys missed a good one I'll be cooling down for about an hour I'll turn on Discord if anybody wants to hear about the race

7. trplay

trplay Zen MBB Master

Just one great big dadgum it. Sorry I missed it. Looks like you took it in the sprint. Whoa baby 12 W/kg! If I can find the finish I'll post it up.

[​IMG]

8. RojoRacing

I was the only attacker of the group of 15 and I attacked 9 times before it stuck with one rider in tow. I asked for 30 sec rotations and he was working with me well taking pulls at 5.0wkg to my 4.4wkg pulls. With 2.5 miles to go he attacks out of nowhere for like 30 seconds but I hang on. With cooperation out the window I held my effort at a comfortable 3.0wkg while he just sat behind me. I dont worry about someone sitting behind me when I'm at a comfortable 3.0wkg because that is still a recovery pace for me and they are gaining a whole lot being at 2.5wkg behind me. With 0.5mile to go I tried to bait him with a false sprint but he only fell for it momentarily. With 0.2mile left I dropped all the watts and dropped him like like a bad habit. I saw at least 13wkg and could have sworn I saw as high as 15wkg at one point.

The problem with my earlier attacks not sticking was no one was going with me and after I got 10 seconds out then the group would start working together to close back in. My last 3 attacks were less intense but longer forcing the main players in the group to pull the wheel sucks with them each time. The key was as soon as the group would engulf me I ease my way to the front a sneak away as they all slowed up. This forces the key players of the group to consider hard if they want to be the one to bridge the gap and pull the whole group again. After the third time in a row one of the riders caught on and went with me strait away with everyone else's motivation was broken.

9. trplay

trplay Zen MBB Master

You do realize it was your buddy Kleiven that is in post #426 from last weeks P race who came with you. Last week his heart rate was through the roof. This time it's even higher! LOL, He knew exactly who you were. Looks like we got a rivalry brewing.

10. RojoRacing

No I didn't realize who he was in relation to recent races but I did kind of recognize the name. We didn't have the big hitters today that we had last week so I had to take up the roll as the instigator, the mouse becomes the lion. You are right his HR is super high but maybe he's just one of those dudes with a max of 200.

11. trplay

trplay Zen MBB Master

Hmm I'd consider Kleiven a big hitter. An FTP 0f 350 with a race where his 98% was K/wg was 5.2 is impressive. And yep, you are right his heart rate is often in the 190's.

12. RojoRacing

He seems are par with me, he's fast but seems to just not have that extra bit to be on par to attack with the likes of the fast Kiss race team and team experimental races. So yeah his numbers say big hitter at least faster then me but he doesn't ride like one.

13. trplay

trplay Zen MBB Master

Are we looking at the same guy? He has many wins in the harder European races. I'm not letting you play Mr. humble on this one nor let you under estimate this guy. Great win today.

joy likes this.
  14. RojoRacing

Well he doesn't live up to his stats in the weekend P-race which would be an evening race for him so maybe he takes it a bit easier. In zwift racing it can be a good thing to underestimate the other racers because if you overestimate their abilities you will ride holding back waiting for an attack and putting yourself on the defensive. It can be better to get out there and attack early and make them wonder if you are the big dog that day. Although I may need to change my name again because at least one of the racers called me out as Perez in the in game messages so they are getting too used to the Recumbent Dork title.

I do like when you know a few of the racers you up against and you can exchange some friendly banter during a race. I used to make jokes all the time during my MTB races. Just random stuff like "hey guys don't you think were going out a bit fast, maybe we could slow it down a bit" or my personal favorite " OH shit my bike is stuck in the wrong gear again" best used when racing the single speed against in the open class. Some of the guys would act all stoic but for the few of us it was worth it if we could at least get someone else to chuckle a bit.

15. RojoRacing

I may do the Kiss 100 race tomorrow if I don't wuss out.

16. Suz

Suz Well-Known Member

I'm almost ready, my weekend was too busy to complete the setup. I have all the pieces and parts, the goal is to be moving by Tuesday. Slowly I'm sure but participating nonetheless. Excited to start.

CruzLike likes this.
  17. trplay

trplay Zen MBB Master

Just when Ms. Daisy and I had given up all hope of a Lady recumbent group you post the above. Yes, we had finally lost the zeal and squeal to push this deal. Now you provide one more breath of air into this lost cause. We're fired up and ready to go again, look who we have in the pen. Crazy Daisy, Cruz'in Susan, and C-ya Maria. Indeed, we are back in the game!

Setting up can be frustrating and will most likely take a little longer than you think. We are here to help in any way we can. Don't hesitate to ask if you need anything.

Suz, super slim and CruzLike like this.
  18. joy

joy Active Member

I've done a few Zwift rides, not races, and really like it. Not sure I want to race, but when do people ride? Is there an event list for CBers?

19. trplay

trplay Zen MBB Master

Nightly Zwift report: Jason wins the EVR race with insane finish. To add icing on the cake he did it against my ODZ buds who ganged up on him the entire race. Since Jason had the top of the race well under control I took the back end finishing second from the last in the C's. Yes Joy, Connie does a lot of group rides along with races. Suz is about to start. It would be fantastic if you can join them! More on this tomorrow.

20. RojoRacing

Noty sure how long this will stay up since it's marked as live video but this should be the race. Keep an eye on the riders list to the right, my code name is Recumbent Dork. My avatar has orange jersey, orange socks and is on the Tron bike with glowing yellow/orange wheels. Don't worry about the orange jersey rider who eventually breakaway and wins, he was auto DQ for putting out Lance Armstrong watts on an I un-calibrated trainer setup so we didn't bother chasing. The poor Vegan cyclist was the only one in our group stressing about that guy getting of the front.

Enjoy the show

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017 at 8:40 AM