Deep Rims

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Almost. ...love the colors that's really cool. what is nicd about the schwable ones is the collar they have added to the design for deep rims. Makes the setup much much more sold. If you know the Speed Evolution people you should encourage them to copy the idea because the result is pretty darn good.
IMG_5120.JPGIMG_5121.JPG

ratz

It's also very clear that tire makers have decided that they can charge more for Values than for tubes and increase net profits. Fortunately values last at least one season more if you can keep them internally clean. I made a "drain snake" from an old brake cable for cleaning them.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
yeah - me too - I'm still waiting - weather bad, wind worse, My life is so full of other stuff... frustrating to say the least.
today it's about 60, but windy, windy, windy. Had to test stuff and get a good result - even then, I'm might just go our and ride around.. .we'll see.!

Larry, it looks like you are back on the track and attributing your speeds to these new magical diets (Diet thread). Are some of those results using the tubeless? Just wondering and would love to know!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Larry, it looks like you are back on the track and attributing your speeds to these new magical diets (Diet thread). Are some of those results using the tubeless? Just wondering and would love to know!
Yes, this was my first ride on my Pro One tubeless, but I did not really notice any difference, when compared to the my other GP4000si with latex or tubular.
It was really really windy though, so I will like to redo the testing with no wind. It might revile something I did not notice this time
Here is a link my spreadsheet of my 10 different "laps", plus my speed one at the end.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WvcDQJJOk9S2sxhAj2lbWmjkTCB-UoIIC5rxw8DGxSQ/edit?usp=sharing

Here is a screenshot of it too:
20160416 testing.JPG

Ok so after some thought and reading about the recommended important of your rims needing to be slightly wider then your tires I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of wheels that should allow me to run 25mm tires to their maximum efficiency. Really my main focus right now is to get some 25mm tires on my bike to soak up a bit of the chip seal roads we have out here. My current Reynolds are 15mm inner and 21mm outer width so even the 23mm conti 4000's I have on there look a bit balloonish. Also my Reynolds are 66mm deep rims and the front wheel has caught gusts of wind inside the complex canyon descents when I'm pushing 40+ mph and it's nearly sent me off the road.

What I'm looking at are a set of wheels from www.asiancyclexpress.com who are similar to Light Bicycle but ACE seems to kept up better with the current wider aero theme in the road bike industry. They also have wheelset using DT 240s hubs and CX-Ray spokes for $900 to your door. I'm thinking 33mm front wheel for better control in the high winds I experience in the mountains plus it's save a few grams for those 20,000' climbing days. I'll go with a 55mm deep rear wheel because it'll be easier to pair wheel covers to for the 24hr race later this year. Here is a link to the exact wheelset page and a snippit pic of the rims profile. Let me know what you guys think of this direction.

http://www.asiancyclexpress.com/55m...ubs-road-carbon-wheelset-240s-55c-w#info_tabs

ACE%20rim%20Profile_zpsrym73uwg.png
If only they had the disc brake variant of the 240s and I had the money :)
Oh for what it is worth the DT Swiss RR 1455 (non disc brake but that will be my next upgrade) are awesome to ride but terrible at keeping their shape. I have now had 2 that have developed an irreparable dent. They did give me a lust for good wheels now just need to rob a bank to get what I want :p

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
@RojoRacing, how do you feel about your wheel choice? Would you do anything differently?

-Cliff

Nope, I still like them very much. In fact when I order mine I also added a pair for my dad and he likes them as well. The only thing I may have done differently next time is maybe getting 33mm deep front and rear since I never seem to remove the disc covers from the rear. No need for a deep rim if it has covers on it all the time.

Nope, I still like them very much. In fact when I order mine I also added a pair for my dad and he likes them as well. The only thing I may have done differently next time is maybe getting 33mm deep front and rear since I never seem to remove the disc covers from the rear. No need for a deep rim if it has covers on it all the time.
Have you tested your speed difference with the covers on and off?

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Ok... I have a big issue. Tubeless Schwalbe 30mm valves arrived, mounted the valve with 60 mm extender on the 80mm deep rim and take it down the local bike shop. The local bike shop didn't want to touch it because the valve is loose. There is no way to tighten it against the rim. Is there an extender with a screw thread so it's possible to secure the valve?

ratz

Ok... I have a big issue. Tubeless Schwalbe 30mm valves arrived, mounted the valve with 60 mm extender on the 80mm deep rim and take it down the local bike shop. The local bike shop didn't want to touch it because the valve is loose. There is no way to tighten it against the rim. Is there an extender with a screw thread so it's possible to secure the valve?

https://silca.cc/collections/tubeless/products/tubeless-valve-kit-w-speed-shield

Or from Schwalbe:
TL-Valve, 40 mm, twin-pack, Art.-No. 3460
Extension, 65 mm, twin-pack, Art.-No. 3462

Or from Schwalbe:
TL-Valve, 40 mm, twin-pack, Art.-No. 3460
Extension, 65 mm, twin-pack, Art.-No. 3462
Decided to look up schwalbe valves (not big enough for my wheels (I have silca 100mm) but came across all of schwalbe tubeless stuff. The Tire booster looks interesting although I can't seem to find one in Australia (online) or with reasonable shipping. May have to enquire at LBS schwalbe stockist when I run out of CO2. According to schwalbe CO2 reduces effectiveness of sealant.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Decided to look up schwalbe valves (not big enough for my wheels (I have silca 100mm) but came across all of schwalbe tubeless stuff. The Tire booster looks interesting although I can't seem to find one in Australia (online) or with reasonable shipping. May have to enquire at LBS schwalbe stockist when I run out of CO2. According to schwalbe CO2 reduces effectiveness of sealant.
I nearly ordered the booster from Amazon but they wanted 22€ for shipping. So I didn't buy it. Got the extenders though.