Diet: Low Carb and Ultra Cycling

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Well I haven't ridden since saturday but I just finish off a dozen jumbo sized chocolate chip cookies so I've got plenty of watts to spare. I'll be sure to text over an extra 1000 or so so feel free to distribute as you see fit.

I haven't gone
On topic for this type of thread: Books on the subject, research papers, podcasts, websites, recipes, person success stories, person struggles, user to user support and encouragement, race/event results, training results, failures, strategies.
My wife and I had good results with Atkins' diet, but the carbs crept back in as did the weight. Right now I'm avoiding refined sugars whenever I can, but temptation is so difficult to fight. Maybe a full-on induction, ongoing weight loss, maintenance plan is best.
Anyway, I came across this article in JAMA about the sugar industry. It seems like we were "sold a bill of goods." I thought I'd share it with the Tribe:
http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2548255

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Interesting article especially with my background. I worked as a part time research assistant while going to university for another university's agricultural research station with my salary paid for by a major sugar company. As now, I then commuted by bicycle to work, school, and everywhere! :)

So I thought I was helping with let's say energy research. You know, I need to bike 20 miles so eat sugar. So I ate lots of sugar in many forms. And with my work I was helping everyone who needed calories, right? :D

But then I signed up for a class titled Government Regulations in Agriculture. It was interesting, and taught by a respected researcher. Part of the class requirements was to do a paper that involved food industry regulations. Hey, I worked for a government agency and my salary was paid for by a still major player in the food industry assisting in sugar research. So I thought this was an easy A! :cool:

Turned in my paper, was all smiles:D. After I got my paper back the professor's notes in red ink said NEVER say anything negative about your product. You'll be working for the food industry and want to sell!o_O I had quoted not just research that backed up my thesis, but included research that found negative results. Bad me, got a C.:mad: Never worked in the food industry.;)

Flash forward from 1981 to 2016. I've followed this thread from its beginning with much interest because since retiring from my last job and now employed in a sitting type job had gained 20 pounds in two years! :eek: I was already low fat eater, so the next area to cut was carbs and sugar. No, I craved both! It was the energy that kept me spinning those pedals, right? I cut out sugar quickly, but the whole grain carbs took me years to slowly reduce. When this thread started I was down 10 pounds and was happy with my progress. Eating only one slice of whole grain bread daily, maybe twice weekly whole grain pasta, lots of veggies, and lots of fruits.

Eat fat this thread said!:eek: Low carbs! :eek: Never! Nutritionists, Doctors, food industry, and USDA say otherwise! But then I remembered my smug professor and my C for that paper so I found a copy of the books referenced early in this thread. Also found book Eat Fat, Get Thin by Mark Hyman, MD

Eat Fat Get Thin supports Voleks books with similar type initial start, maintenance, recipes, as well as discussing medical and genetic tests that may assist with your personal diet, gives recent research references(copyright is 2016), as well as discussion on individual variance with what to watch for since what will work for me may not work for you. This sinched it for me and today I'm back at 145 pounds:), feeling great:D, and feeling satiated after eating a variety good fats, lots of above ground veggies, a little less protein, etc.

Another reference is the website dietdoctor.com with intro, program, recipes, good visuals showing major food groups showing how many carbs per 100 grams, problem areas and solutions, etc.

Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Need support; after telling Juani that I want to lose another four kilos, she kicked up a fuss. I said to her that I wanted to get to 72kg by February and she said you are already underweight and by then your face would have changed and you will look even more weird, don't you think you are being obsessive?

Well I am 5 foot ten (plus a little bit)... I can easily lose a kilo a month. What's a good race weight?

Please advise.

I feel great at the moment but would I feel greater at 72kg?

Last edited:

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Need support; after telling Juani that I want to lose another four kilos, she kicked up a fuss. I said to her that I wanted to get to 72kg by February and she said you are already underweight and by then your face would have changed and you will look even more weird, don't you think you are being a obsessive?

Well I am 5 foot ten (plus a little bit)... I can easily lose a kilo a month. What's a good race weight?

Please advise.

I feel great at the moment but would I feel greater at 72kg?
I have pretty same problem with my better half. Every time I try to discribe her someting about low-carb diet or even about fats (MUFA, PUFA, omega-3 etc.) she is very very unpleasant to me.
Yesterday I realized that on food from Mark's and Spencer (from UK) there is values of omega-3 and told it her. Only this short information and she was going to kill me.
I was trying to describe her why it is better to use Canola oil instead of Sunflower and she was getting more and more angry.

DavidCH

I have pretty same problem with my better half. Every time I try to discribe her someting about low-carb diet or even about fats (MUFA, PUFA, omega-3 etc.) she is very very unpleasant to me.
Yesterday I realized that on food from Mark's and Spencer (from UK) there is values of omega-3 and told it her. Only this short information and she was going to kill me.
I was trying to describe her why it is better to use Canola oil instead of Sunflower and she was getting more and more angry.
Best to keep quiet and just lose the weight. Nothing is forever. Who knows what I will weigh in 12 months time?

Last edited:

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
Don't worry about it. My wife says everyone thinks I have cancer and I've only lost 20 lbs. I sure miss Little Debbie's .

RAR

72 kilos is 158.73 lbs.....not too little for 5ft. 10 in. I'm 5'-9'' and 148 lbs.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
72 kilos is 158.73 lbs.....not too little for 5ft. 10 in. I'm 5'-9'' and 148 lbs.
I would say so. I have <58 kg with my 170 cm. I realized that by BMI I should have 73 kg to be considered overweight, wow. My maximal weight was 63 kg and I was looking a little plump at that time.

LMT

Good vid, I don't think it's haters per se, I think people are just a wee bit sick of some of the misrepresentations of ''carbs'' and reinforcing bad eating habits for example:

3:35 Low fat non refined starch based foods have been shown to reduce weight. Dr McDougall has shown this with his book ''The Starch Solution''

3:55 Fat from animal products is good fat? Although she is right regarding trans fats.

6:54 It's widely acknowledged that a plant based vegan diet is best for your heart. Dr Esselstyn reversed it by using a plant based diet.

7:36 Que?

8:50 Bang on.

9:30 Good advice but I'm unsure of why you would want liquid protein. The WHO says that you need IIRC 0.82g of protein per kg, this generally speaking represents about 10-11% of total calories, which you can get from plant foods, no need for a protein supplement.

10:36 Unsure and slightly concerned that he is taking diet pills.

13:04 The brains primary source of fuel is carbs.

13:36 This sounds like the effect of having a load of refined carbs which raise the blood sugar which then follows a crash, you don't get this with plant based carbs.

13:54 I think people want their bad eating habits reinforced TBH.

15:15 An overweight café owner which serves fry ups says that LCHF diet works!

15:30 Natures multi vitamin is fruits and vegs. The egg industry in the US did try and push through eggs as a health food in an ad campaign but they got their ass handed to them by the FDA due to the amount of fat and cholesterol contained in them.

15:38 Interesting and why this diet works with the weight loss, you feel full a la Atkins.

17:40 Correct the dietary guidelines have not changed, what has changed are peoples bad eating habits, more fat, more processed food. Duh!

17:48 <Holds head in hands and thinks back eight seconds>

19:12 People have not being following the guidelines. FFS!

19:41 That half a stone was water weight, that's why.

20:00 Plant based sugar is not the same as sugar, fructose with dietary fibre is not the same stuff that you would put in your cup of tea/coffee.

21:28 Some good points.

25:07 Which is this:https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ent_data/file/528193/Eatwell_guide_colour.pdf
I don't see any processed junk in this, do you? Lay off the animal products though.

28:14 Indeed it is, rubbishing what the government recommend you eat, when they don't actually say that which is essentially what the program was is bad advice.

Sorry, if the above is long winded but hopefully some pertinent points.

DavidCH

Still just plugging along. I'm not able to keep a true LCHF diet. Not even sure I have gotten into ketosis. It is a bit frustrating in that carbs and sugar is put into almost everything one eats. I have lost a solid 30 pounds but I have been into a bit of a stall for awhile. One thing for sure, if you go this route don't tell anyone- you'll be surprised at the number of haters out there. Here is an interesting link on LCHF:
People don't like change. People look at me and they think I have an illness. Far from it. Biggest change for me was cutting out the grain. Some days I skip a meal and sometimes I throw in another egg. If I haven't been exercising... then I tend to be mean with myself.

Itripper

I have been doing low carb diet 3-4 months a year for the last 21 years. Mostly when my PT test (in the military) is coming up. It works incredibly well for me, normally in a 8 week period I will eat all I want but < 20 carbs a day, I will lose approx. 35 pounds. My 1 1/2 mile run time goes from 14:30 to 10:30 due to the weight loss mostly. I do find it helps my endurance biking a lot when I do it, except I have a very hard time staying hydrated enough, I cramp up easily if I really push myself after several hours. I gain weight like mad when I eat a normal carb diet no matter how much I exercise, but lose weight and feel full on low carb/HF diet. After about the 4th day when first switching to low carb I feel great, but I cant resist baked breads and pizza so eventually I just go back to eating high carb stuff, especially cliff bars. I can tell right away when I am in Keto, my urine changes and I kind of get some bad breath, so I chew gum a lot on it. Plus I drop 1/2 a pound a day consistently.
If I can stay hydrated enough I can easily cruise along all day with almost no food, only on the really hot summer days in Tucson do I have a problem as I cannot drink enough water to satisfy me. Cool to see low carb catching on lately and some newer science coming out about it. I discovered a long time ago that high fat really works well on me. What usually breaks me of the low carb diet is 1) passing my test and combined with 2) Bad influences from my own family, serving me pancakes or cookies or pizza or some other food. Once I have high carbs for one day it is all over for me, I really fall apart until I am fored by necessity to do the low carb again, its really weird as I do enjoy the low carb setup, I am struggling to switch to a more Paleo type permanent diet.

LMT

He is a menace imo with his mistruths. In this video for example, he implies that insulin is the main culprit for your body storing fat and when you eat carbs you have elevated insulin levels, that last longer over a period of time because you are constantly snacking on carbs and hence why you put on weight. Interesting listening to him between 3:00 and 3:50.
The graph at the end showing insulin response with respect to fat, protein and carbs is very interesting because it is contradicted with the following:

LMT

The contradictions I was referring to was to do with insulin response when eating fat, protein and carbs. And Dr McGregor is not anti HFLC, he makes it his job to read journals and then comment on the findings using evidence based research - as he has done with what causes insulin resistance.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Dr McGregor is not anti HFLC, he makes it his job to read journals and then comment on the findings using evidence based research

Dr. Greger runs is an adamant vegetarian and animal rights activist. He wants us all to be vegetarian. Look, for every Pro-vegan doctor I can find you a pro LCHF doctor and they can argue with each other about who is right until the sun don't shine. I'm a simple Joe and all of these guys know more about nutrition than I am capable of comprehending. But, at the end of the day what actually counts is what works. Results speak louder than any hack / politician/ doctor/ you fill in the blank, that is trying to lead me down the path of salvation. Let the doctors debate transformation of ATP, I just want to lose the pouch. I do find the trial in SA very interesting. This is where the big boy, anti LCHF diet haters have decided to prove the diet wrong. Lets see how that goes. Link: HERE

LMT

If all you want to do is too lose the pouch in what is imo not the healthiest way then good luck to you.:)

LMT

If I was to catch cancer I'd lose weight and I'm guessing that my cholesterol would be okay.

Just because something 'works' does not mean it is the healthiest option. I've lost weight on a plant based diet, I don't say that this is good based on my own experience, I say this is good based on the sheer amount of evidence based research out there.