Disc brake levers on QX100

DavidJL

I did the steering mod on my QX100. Looking for brake levers with longer levers than the typical 3 inches found on most mountain bike levers so I can use the brakes from alternate hand positions. Another inch would be nice. Right now I can just reach with the tips of my fingers from the bar ends. Haven't yet found a longer lever.

DavidJL

I could consider that as a possibility when and if they come out with the T50 frameset. Gonna stick with the 9-speed trigger shifters and the mountain bike bar with bar ends for now. I've swapped out the rear derailleur, the cassette, and the shifters so far. Will probably be able to find a motorcycle style lever.

Rampa

Guru
Getting the right cable-pull with motorcycle levers might be the tricky bit. I think cable-discs and V brakes are the same though? There are a lot of "4 finger" break levers on Ebay.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Getting the right cable-pull with motorcycle levers might be the tricky bit. I think cable-discs and V brakes are the same though? There are a lot of "4 finger" break levers on Ebay.
Yes, you are right, according to Wikipedia, "Because of the higher mechanical advantage of V-brakes, they require brake levers with longer cable travel than levers intended for older types of brakes. Mechanical (i.e. cable-actuated) disc brakes use the same amount of cable travel as V-brakes, except for those that are described as being "road" specific." (Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_brake#V-brakes )

In summary V-brakes and MTB mechanical cable-actuated disc brakes use linear pull brake levers, while mini V-brakes, caliper and cantiliver brakes use standard road bike canti/caliper levers. Both versions of levers (linear and standard pull) for dropbar/road handlebars are all available on ebay. I recently upgraded my homebuild to use road bike canti/caliper levers and a flared drop bar(ON ONE Midge bar, Dia-Compe "Silver" ratchet bar-end shifters and Winzip brake levers):
new-handlebars_n_brakes.jpg

Last edited:

DavidJL

I did find some four-finger brake levers on Amazon. EVO is the brand. These levers are available for disc/vee brakes or for caliper/cantilever brakes. They come with a locking button which may prove useful on a Cruzbike.