disc wheel for the drive wheel

ccf

Guru
I want to get a drive wheel for our Sofrider that will take a disc brake. Any recommendations? Also would appreciate recommendation for disc and brake. What is on the QX100?

-Cliff

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I'll assume you verified your softrider has the disc brake mounts on the fork. I think they all did, but best to check since I wasn't 100% sure.

Then the best bang for the buck is to email benny@wheelbuilder.com tell him where you are coming from and that it's a front wheel drive bike. He'll be able to guide you through the selection of a good hub and rim. Examples: DTSwiss 350 is a great hub, just like the 240 but heavier and cheaper. Velocity makes a ton of quality rims in the right size. There are many others; just tell him your goals so that he can guide away from a bad choice. Others here have used them to demystify the process, and I get all my custom wheels there because they don't disappoint.

As for the brakes check out trpbrakes.com; the HY/RD and Spyre are some of the best brakes at the price.

ccf

Guru
Bob, yes the fork has disc brake mounts. Are all mounts the same size/spacing?

Thanks for the advice. I sent Benny a note this evening.

ratz

Bob, yes the fork has disc brake mounts. Are all mounts the same size/spacing?

Brake mounts of that era are all the same few standard positions and the y tend to come with adapters for front and rear in most cases.

I have done the upgrade to 3 quests without issue

ccf

Guru
I ordered the TRP Spyre brake. But the mounting holes on the fork are 90 deg from what the brake accepts. Is there a standard adapter to accommodate the 90 deg?

-Cliff

ratz

I ordered the TRP Spyre brake. But the mounting holes on the fork are 90 deg from what the brake accepts. Is there a standard adapter to accommodate the 90 deg?

-Cliff
That's the new "flat mount standard" designed to reduce the aero impact. I don't think anyone makes adapters at this time.

ccf

Guru
That's the new "flat mount standard" designed to reduce the aero impact. I don't think anyone makes adapters at this time.

Hmm. Does that mean that the TRP brakes are incompatible Sofrider? Or is there another TRP brake that will fit?

ccf

Guru
Mine looks like Traditional. The packing slip says post mount. No brackets came with it. I think adapters are extra.

ratz

Mine looks like Traditional. The packing slip says post mount. No brackets came with it. I think adapters are extra.

You are correct; I see now they have dropped the rotors and adapters; those use to be included. But then the price was higher. That's good for people with existing parts and who are already up to speed; but man that sucks for people just learning.

To boot they made them really hard to find on the website. All you need to know is what size rotor you will run front and back and then get the matching one for that size and location.

If you have 140 rotors then items 1 & 2
If you have 160 rotors then items 2 & 3

Side note Front and Rear are obviously reversed

Item 1: 140 Front Rotor Adapter
http://www.trpbrakes.com/category.php?productid=1246&catid=188

Item 2: 160 Front or 140 Rear Rotor Adapter
http://www.trpbrakes.com/category.php?productid=1231&catid=188

Item 3: 180 Front or 160 Rear Rotor Adapter
http://www.trpbrakes.com/category.php?productid=1187&catid=188

Item: 4: http://www.trpbrakes.com/category.php?productid=1186&catid=188
203 Front or 180 Rear Rotor Adapter

Last edited:

ratz

Thanks. I don't know how you found those. I looked at every tab on their website.
That's because their stupid link to "Adapters and Accessories" takes you to a useless list unless you know the part numbers. I see stuff like that and it just convinces me that people in marketing and website creation have no concept of how to make money and provide a good customer experience; that entire industry seems to have lost it's way in the digital era; pretty trumps usability and that's just backwards.

ccf

Guru
I have TRP SLC on my 2018 V20, and the front 160mm TRP rotor aligns too far outboard (or the brake is too far inboard). I've adjusted the outboard pad as far out as it will go, and I've adjusted the brake as far outboard as it will go. Yet it still rubs a little even when the brake handle is not squeezed. The photo shows the difference in the gap on each side of the rotor. I'm using Avid 20mm IS to post mount adapter. If I go with the TRP Item 3 above, will it fix the problem?

The strange thing is that for a while the front brake was working fine.

FrontRotor_sm.jpg

-Cliff

ccf

Guru
I loosened the QR, and the rubbing stopped. If I latch the QR lightly, the brakes work as they should. Seems strange that there is that much flex in the front triangle.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
From the photo it looks like the adapter is not square to the disc.
Check with a digital vernier caliper, the gap from the inside side of the disk to the inside edge of the adapter, at two positions!
OR use a 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 mm allen key to check the gap between the outside side of the disk to the inside edge of the adapter, at two positions.

Loosen the quick release off, and make certain the F Wheel axle is fully seated up against the top of the fork cutout on both sides, then re tighten the quick release.
Check the gap between the rim and the fork inside at the fork top, to verify that the wheel is central!
Recheck the gap in two positions again.

The quick release should ONLY be tightened using your thumb!

The TRP Spyre pads are not self aligning, so it is important that the adaptor is square to the disk.