Does Cycling Cause Brittle Bones? Is a recumbent worse?

I have no expertise in the medical field but it seems credible and this is not the first time I've heard that. I hate running but I do try to lift weights a few times per week. Even if it doesn't help my bones, lifting does make me feel stronger, which is nice. :)

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I lift heavy a couple of times a week, and have lately been trying to run (if you can call it that) a HIIT sprint session every week to 10 days.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Mountain biking is the way to balance out the week. Mountain bikers don't have brittle bones and a change is as good as a rest. Time to get out there on the dips and highs... just don't do it on your V.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
It would be nice to know the minimum recommended length and frequency of high impact load bearing exercise as complementary to the cycling. For instance, 30 minutes jogging three times a week? Rope skipping ten minutes repeated 3 times a week? Jogging on the treadmill for 10 minutes every three? five? times a week? e.t.c.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
It would be nice to know the minimum recommended length and frequency of high impact load bearing exercise as complementary to the cycling.
I didn't look at cycling specifically, but this article from Mark's Daily Apple has some links to bone-density studies.

Why is cycling not load-bearing? When you are grinding your granny up the side of a mountain it feels like a load.
There was something in the OP's linked article about the bones requiring compression, and I had read elsewhere that impact was needed to build/maintain bone strength. (I had fits getting that article to load in my browser. Finally had to go to Google's cached version.)

I have a co-worker in her early 50s, who rides several thousand miles a year. Her road bike slid out in a corner at 15 mph last fall. She sustained multiple fractures of the pelvis and humerus. She already knew she had osteopenia, so she had been taking calcium and vitamin D for some time, and was unhappily surprised to find out her bone density hadn't improved.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I started to play tennis, I can't believe how much I am aching and I thought I was fit!

(Well I use to get Mickey Mouse sweat marks but now I don't get any)

ccooper

As I age, now 65, I have noticed that cross-sports fitness doesn't seem to happen like it used to. I am in great shape for rowing right now, but it seems to have very little impact on my fitness for cycling or running. I have to do the sports-specific training regularly in all sports I want to be fit for...and that takes a lot of time.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Why is cycling not load-bearing? When you are grinding your granny up the side of a mountain it feels like a load.
Iam not as medical doctor, but my understanding is that to trigger bone regeneration requires impact, vibration in the vertical direction (compression). Cycling especially when seated does not load the pelvis and backbone as much as running or squash or tennis. Coupled with the sweat induced calcium loss , the regeneration is not sufficient for the ardent cyclist if there is no cross training. My 2 cents ..

quickbeam

Luckily I also play volleyball. That involves a lot of jumping (if you like to spike and block), so that should help. I've tried jogging and soccer, but my knees can't handle much running. Hopefully this volleyball thing will be okay for them.
Astronauts have a big problem with bone density, so I think they run on a treadmill, being held down by bungee cords.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
It would be nice to know the minimum recommended length and frequency of high impact load bearing exercise as complementary to the cycling. For instance, 30 minutes jogging three times a week? Rope skipping ten minutes repeated 3 times a week? Jogging on the treadmill for 10 minutes every three? five? times a week? e.t.c.
I heard professional cycling exercise physiologists recommend a few sets of 100 repititions per set (about two minutes per set) on a leg sled with body weight plus 20 pounds, once or twice per week at most, is enough to prevent age-related osteoporosis. It burns like hell and will make your legs extremely sore the first time you try it. It will also make you a better hill climber. If you don't have a leg sled, just do squats.