Electric Quest

TalleyHo

I like your battery bottle. What are specs? And, where would one source it?
The battery is a Falco down tube, I think they call it, canister style. It's 36 V 11.7 ah and they are available still, at $695, I just checked. Mine has been holding up well for 2 + years. The motor set is an Ebike kit brand, ebike kit.com, and this very light duty system has been discontinued. It weighs in at a mere 12 lbs including battery. Don't remember the specs on that system. I see they currently have a slightly more robust geared system and a HD direct drive system for front wheel.

chrisblessing

I'm looking at an ebike option for my folding conversion. I wonder if any of you know whether it's possible to get a hub motor without freewheel to fit the 135 mm spacing of my frame. I'm guessing the Q series rear spacing is 100/110 mm spacing. As mine is a conversion of a standard folding bike I don't know if it's possible to buy or build a wheel (20") with 135 mm spacing that comes without a freewheel or requires dishing. Thanks.

Frisard

Finally got the instructions on programming the controller. With that I removed the 25kph limit. Took the QX100 out for spin this evening. The 36v 500w motor had no problem getting up to 25 mph very quickly, unassisted). Felt like some tune up beyond the new 46t chain ring is in order after that spill I took recently (no motor power, just got too close to a curb when taking a street corner.) My knee went through a "tune up" at emergency after that spill. Perhaps more work on the front end...
Update: Everything seems good with the front end of QX100, and no wobblies at higher speed. Knee still in recovery, peddling is good therapy. Helps to have the power when the knee needs a rest...

Last edited:

axel56

Latest e-Cruzbike. Liked Abram's Radicals. Keeps the battery pack low. Motor is a Bafang 8fun 36v 500w geared hub. Battery pack 36v 13.6ah hiding in the pannier. 200mm rotor. The red bungee is simply an accent. Not that a CruzBike needs an accent to catch someone's attention.
This ride weighs in at a hefty 50lbs! Hmmm, hopefully the motor will pull more than itself. At 500w it is like adding two riders...without the riders. So it should.
Ready to go on a weekend tour!
Peace

View attachment 3810 View attachment 3809 View attachment 3808
Hi,
very nice conversion. I am a newby here, just ordered my QX100. How did you fit the calipers to the 200 mm discs, I think the original ones are 140 mm ?

Frisard

Hi,
very nice conversion. I am a newby here, just ordered my QX100. How did you fit the calipers to the 200 mm discs, I think the original ones are 140 mm ?
I don't have the part no. handy, but if you go to Avid website for the BB5 brakes it will give you the adapter part no. Then you can go to Amazon and buy it for a lot less than the local bike shop. Same goes for the 200mm rotor.
BTW: for a new type of electric hub, go to Lunacycle.com and check out their new two speed geared hub. I am discovering that the 36v/500w motor I have is plenty enough power, if not too much most of the time. But I have not yet tested it on steep hills with loaded panniers, which is why I went with the power.
Good luck on your build, and keep us posted.

deadbeatdon

As to taking a battery on an airplane; my understanding is we have to send battery ahead by FedEx.

Grin Tech is finalizing production of their LiGo batteries. They are sub 100wh modules beneath the threshold which allow for air travel, non hazardous shipping and combine to form a single battery. Then there is also their statorade, a ferrofluid coolant. A fascinating and innovative company.

Frisard

Grin Tech is finalizing production of their LiGo batteries. They are sub 100wh modules beneath the threshold which allow for air travel, non hazardous shipping and combine to form a single battery. Then there is also their statorade, a ferrofluid coolant. A fascinating and innovative company.
Checked them out. These batteries do appear promising. Hope they get them out soon.

deadbeatdon

They've started a pilot sale program and are especially looking for people who need transportable batteries. ebikes.ca/news/LiGo-Batteries/

Frisard

They've started a pilot sale program and are especially looking for people who need transportable batteries. ebikes.ca/news/LiGo-Batteries/
Yes, I saw that. They recommend min of three battery modules for my set up, to insure staying at/below 2C discharge. Not being an electrical technical type I only have a vague notion about what that means. I believe that means you don't want to drain your battery in less than one hour? Or is it two hours ? Maybe you know something about that .

deadbeatdon

I'm still in noob research mode. When I run out of fat to burn I'll start laying down some cash. The endless-sphere dot com forums are where I plan to troll for educational materials.

High Flyer

I thought I'd join in on this CB Utility e-bike party. I just did a re-mod of my e-assist Sofrider which has been in operation for 2 years. The new mod is the return to freerider bars (love to open cockpit) and the addition of what I call a cockpit fairing. The fairing was a Zipper brand originally bought by me in 1997 for my first recumbent. The project floundered and the fairing stored until a few days ago when I cut it up to make this abreviated version; good for keeping electronics dry and a measure of aero efficiency and comfort. The front hub is Nuvinci CVT, the rear a geared motor creating a dual throttled machine that when operated in concert make for very quick acceleration. A low eco-footprint, hi value transport machine is my aim. The CB utility bikes rival their performance bikes, IMO, as break-thru bike-design innovations; the best of both worlds, DF and bents.View attachment 3822

Been monitoring the forum and have some questions.

First time replying to a forum; please let me know if I need to do it different.

I’ve been a bike rider all my life, always on a diamond frame with a lifetime of the ‘typical DF human complaints’.

Appreciate the potential benefits of CRUZBIKES. Not really sure which CRUZ to start with, but leaning to QX100.

Seems like the QX100 can do a lot: FWD recumbent with ability to be transportable for airline travel and capable future electric power, as well as, ‘pedal power’.

Some things I would like to know:

Sounds like there are a number of different rim/tire sizes that can be used on the various CRUZBIKES. Are the different sizes interchangeable? Sounds like when you change rims/tires out, other components might need to be changed ? With an extra set of different size wheel/tires could you change different sizes back and forth easily?

A similar concern about electric hubs: If one had an extra set of wheels for a powered recumbent what would have to be accomplished to go from powered to non-powered? And vice versa ?

AND, if you had an electric powered CRUZ, about what would the additional weight / drag penalty be without the battery ?

Can 3- or 5-spoke rims be used on any Cruzbikes – seems like when transporting the bike in a suitcase, these rims might be less susceptible to damage.

I live in Midwest - waiting for some decent weather so I can take a CRUZBIKE for a demo ride ! And then, get my own CRUZBIKE !

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Sounds like there are a number of different rim/tire sizes that can be used on the various CRUZBIKES. Are the different sizes interchangeable? Sounds like when you change rims/tires out, other components might need to be changed ? With an extra set of different size wheel/tires could you change different sizes back and forth easily?
Welcome!

The QX100 comes with 26" (559) wheels and disc brakes. You could use smaller wheels easily, as long as they were also disc-brake compatible. I have 24" (507, youth MTB-size) wheels on my Quest (predecessor to the QX100, very similar frame), which originally came with BMX 20" (451) wheels. Smaller 20" (406) wheels work fine, too.

Changing wheel sizes would affect the gearing--i.e., you'd have to use a different cassette (or chainrings) to keep the same gear-inches. For instance, my 451 wheel came with a 9-speed 11-28 cassette. When I went to the 507 wheel, I bought an 11-32 9-speed cassette for it so I'd have a comparable low gear. Switching back and forth would be easy enough. Though if you're going from one extreme in wheel size to the other, and changing gearing accordingly, your rear derailleur needs to have the capacity to handle it.

I've been riding Cruzbikes for nearly three years. There were a few "what have I done" moments the first few weeks when I was learning to ride, but it's been a lot of fun. I put a total of 32 miles on my road bike after buying my first Cruzbike, and finally sold the old Trek last month.

Romagjack

Ok, I like what I see here. I'm back to riding after a heart valve replacement 6 months ago. It's time for me to electrify my Quest 2 with dual drive. I'm not much of a gearhead, so I will probably have to farm most, if not all the work out. I don't plan on doing touring, but expect to back into 100 mile jaunts that can be done in a day. I've always felt a little uncomfortable in traffic when clipped in - so I look forward to easier starts from a dead stop with a throttle. I do have a diamond frame ebike with throttle but no where as comfortable as the Quest. I live in Durham, NC if anyone knows a bikeshop that might do the work or any tips on doing the project myself.

I would also like to hear riding experiences (any videos) from those of you on electric Cruzbikes. Thanks.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I live in Durham, NC if anyone knows a bikeshop that might do the work or any tips on doing the project myself.

I would also like to hear riding experiences (any videos) from those of you on electric Cruzbikes. Thanks.
Don't take it to Larry. His modfication would result in 0-60mph in 4.2 seconds.
The one to ask for step by step is @AbramClark I've seen what he did in person; it was more about order the right stuff than it is a difficult install. @JeffParker 's rig is a whole different level of fancy; he's been know to sell his current one so he can make a fancier new one.

Romagjack

Don't take it to Larry. His modfication would result in 0-60mph in 4.2 seconds.
The one to ask for step by step is @AbramClark I've seen what he did in person; it was more about order the right stuff than it is a difficult install. @JeffParker 's rig is a whole different level of fancy; he's been know to sell his current one so he can make a fancier new one.

Thanks Ratz. The more I look at the project, the better I feel about doing it myself. One of the kits that appeals to me is the Golden Motor Kit - Magic Pie Edge. Has anyone used this kit on a Cruzbike?
http://www.goldenmotor.ca/products/Magic-Pie-Edge-(VECTOR)-26-Inch-Front-Conversion-Kit.html

Frisard

The Leed ebikes kits I Have is good. I don't think it can get better. See where Abram decided to switch down to 350 W motor. I have a 500 W and agree with him that it might be too much. But I just keep the power level low.
You can see what I did on an earlier post.

Last edited: