Electric Quest

Frisard

I thought I'd join in on this CB Utility e-bike party. I just did a re-mod of my e-assist Sofrider which has been in operation for 2 years. The new mod is the return to freerider bars (love to open cockpit) and the addition of what I call a cockpit fairing. The fairing was a Zipper brand originally bought by me in 1997 for my first recumbent. The project floundered and the fairing stored until a few days ago when I cut it up to make this abreviated version; good for keeping electronics dry and a measure of aero efficiency and comfort. The front hub is Nuvinci CVT, the rear a geared motor creating a dual throttled machine that when operated in concert make for very quick acceleration. A low eco-footprint, hi value transport machine is my aim. The CB utility bikes rival their performance bikes, IMO, as break-thru bike-design innovations; the best of both worlds, DF and bents.View attachment 3822
Been looking at the Nuvinci, like you I have an electric hub. Nuvinci's warranty is only good for 350w motors (mid-drives). How do you find the combination of Nuvinci and electric hub? Do you keep the elect throttle set low? Which Nuvinci CVT do you have?

TalleyHo

Been looking at the Nuvinci, like you I have an electric hub. Nuvinci's warranty is only good for 350w motors (mid-drives). How do you find the combination of Nuvinci and electric hub? Do you keep the elect throttle set low? Which Nuvinci CVT do you have?
I wasn't aware that Nuvinci had options. I have the 360 standard unit, as far as I know. As for power limitations with the cvt, I have a rear wheel hub motor, 2 wheel drive set up so motor power a non issue. I know Ratz has had cvt experience and I recall discussing the issue you raise a couple years ago when I was contemplating the use of a Schlumpf drive with the cvt. Good luck.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I wasn't aware that Nuvinci had options. I have the 360 standard unit, as far as I know. As for power limitations with the cvt, I have a rear wheel hub motor, 2 wheel drive set up so motor power a non issue. I know Ratz has had cvt experience and I recall discussing the issue you raise a couple years ago when I was contemplating the use of a Schlumpf drive with the cvt. Good luck.

Oh lord yes; you can read all about that on BROL; I spent 2.5 years riding a race trike on the 360 with good results; and test the schlumpf with them. in the end the mountain drive and speed drive worked the best with the n360; the schlump HSD was a bad match. Now there are several new models of N3xx. I wouldn't pair that with a motor; I do the split motor rear wheel; and pedal wheel front wheel like many other have done.

Electric: did you know about this - also Kickstarter?
go-e.bike
Had to wait almost 1 year as I was one of the first, got it last Fall, but now they're rolling.
Mine works fine on a 20year old unused bike which my partner uses for commuting now as the weather improves.
Could be easily added to a Sofrider or Quest, mounted instead of the kickstand.

Frisard

IMG_0098.JPG
Thanks Ratz. The more I look at the project, the better I feel about doing it myself. One of the kits that appeals to me is the Golden Motor Kit - Magic Pie Edge. Has anyone used this kit on a Cruzbike?
http://www.goldenmotor.ca/products/Magic-Pie-Edge-(VECTOR)-26-Inch-Front-Conversion-Kit.html
The Magic pie is not a geared motor. Geared is superior. Look at Leed ebike kits. They have a very clean cable setup, with the 4 in 1 cable. And a good PAS. The controller and excess cables will fit nicely in the CB Slingbag. I did not buy their battery pack, preferring to go with LunaCycle 36v 13.5ah pack (it's their Sonders compatible pack) bolted to the CB bike rack. The 500w motor is all the power you will need. See pic below.
IMG_0074.JPG

Romagjack

View attachment 4582
The Magic pie is not a geared motor. Geared is superior. Look at Leed ebike kits. They have a very clean cable setup, with the 4 in 1 cable. And a good PAS. The controller and excess cables will fit nicely in the CB Slingbag. I did not buy their battery pack, preferring to go with LunaCycle 36v 13.5ah pack (it's their Sonders compatible pack) bolted to the CB bike rack. The 500w motor is all the power you will need. See pic below.
View attachment 4580
Yes, I see where the geared motor is better for freewheeling. I like your setup. Wonder if there would be room in the slingbag (or if a similar bag) for the battery, wires and controller? It would be nice to keep all that weight low. I could get by with a smaller battery if it would fit.

With your setup, can you start out from a dead stop, with feet on the ground, with power and then position your feet on the pedals? I like to use clipless pedals, but find it dangerous in traffic.

Frisard

Yes, I see where the geared motor is better for freewheeling. I like your setup. Wonder if there would be room in the slingbag (or if a similar bag) for the battery, wires and controller? It would be nice to keep all that weight low. I could get by with a smaller battery if it would fit.

With your setup, can you start out from a dead stop, with feet on the ground, with power and then position your feet on the pedals? I like to use clipless pedals, but find it dangerous in traffic.
1st Q: Yes, I should have mentioned another option for battery: instead of the LunaCycle I have (which would not fit in Slingbag). Grin (http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/ligo-batteries.html) has a new setup called LiGo. Instead of putting all 4 series mods into one bottle (e.g. LunaCycle), they allow you to snap each module together in parallel to get to the desired capacity. Two or Three snapped together will fit in the Slingbag with the controller and excess cable slack. Put the others into your pannier until you need to swap out when the first ones run down; then recharge all at the end of day when you get to your B&B. I will be getting these when I go on my trip overseas; meanwhile I will leave the 'bomb' on the rack. (I have spent enough $$$ for now.)

2nd Q: Yes, I do it all the time unless I am at a slight downslope. The car/truck drivers appreciate it when you can pull out right with them. I won't use clips until I have been on the CruzBike for awhile longer. Problem I have is getting unclipped quick enough.

Speaking of the 'bomb', I was at a gathering of other cyclists today, and one mentioned that it looked like a jet engine (I live in a Naval airbase town). It came to me that I should get some flame decals for each side of the 'bomb'.
Everybody loved the CruzBike... might get a couple of takers some day. The Harley guys were particularly complimentary; they like the laid back look and high handle bars. The flames would really appeal to them.
With bike at 33# and motor and battery at another 17#, the total 50# seemed heavy, until one guy with a GoldWing told me he was somewhere around 1100#. Put my 50# into perspective.

Last edited:

Romagjack

I thought I'd join in on this CB Utility e-bike party. I just did a re-mod of my e-assist Sofrider which has been in operation for 2 years. The new mod is the return to freerider bars (love to open cockpit) and the addition of what I call a cockpit fairing. The fairing was a Zipper brand originally bought by me in 1997 for my first recumbent. The project floundered and the fairing stored until a few days ago when I cut it up to make this abreviated version; good for keeping electronics dry and a measure of aero efficiency and comfort. The front hub is Nuvinci CVT, the rear a geared motor creating a dual throttled machine that when operated in concert make for very quick acceleration. A low eco-footprint, hi value transport machine is my aim. The CB utility bikes rival their performance bikes, IMO, as break-thru bike-design innovations; the best of both worlds, DF and bents.View attachment 3822
Nice bike. May I ask what dual kickstand that is, do you like it, and does it work well with your set up? Do you think it would work with the Quest?

Frisard

Nice bike. May I ask what dual kickstand that is, do you like it, and does it work well with your set up? Do you think it would work with the Quest?
No dual leg kickstand. It is a bike stand with the front wheel sitting in it. CB sells them.

Romagjack

Friscard, regarding that bike stand, would it work with the front wheel at a right angle with the wheel turned to the left (the bike in an "L" position)? I want to store the bike in a corner of the garage but have limited space.

Frisard

Friscard, regarding that bike stand, would it work with the front wheel at a right angle with the wheel turned to the left (the bike in an "L" position)? I want to store the bike in a corner of the garage but have limited space.
nope

TalleyHo

Actually, that is a dual/center stand in the picture that is folded up. It is the Pletsher stand which has both legs folding to one side and is currently at $39 on Amazon. It is very convenient to use but care must be taken to keep front end from flopping. I have been rigging a sock cord restainer as stearing damper along with being careful to park the bike so front end is secure. But the rear end needs to be light enough for a center stand to work at all, I think.