Electric Quest

Frisard

Actually, that is a dual/center stand in the picture that is folded up. It is the Pletsher stand which has both legs folding to one side and is currently at $39 on Amazon. It is very convenient to use but care must be taken to keep front end from flopping. I have been rigging a sock cord restainer as stearing damper along with being careful to park the bike so front end is secure. But the rear end needs to be light enough for a center stand to work at all, I think.
What is the height from the floor to the attachment point on the bracket on your soft rider? It is about 15" on the QX100. Which seems to make the 12.5" Pletsher too short.
BTW: I use the Hebie steering dampener. The 'flop' is less than 90 degrees either direction. And does not affect steering. Same as Gunnstein.

Last edited:

TalleyHo

What is the height from the floor to the attachment point on the bracket on your soft rider? It is about 15" on the QX100. Which seems to make the 12.5" Pletsher too short.
BTW: I use the Hebie steering dampener. The 'flop' is less than 90 degrees either direction. And does not affect steering. Same as Gunnstein.
The Pletsher was too short for the Sofrider and I added extenders to each leg using 1/2 inch copper tubing. I see they offer feet for the stand and maybe that would be enough extension for some situations. I'm wondering about having a rear mounted battery weighing down rear end and lifting front end being an issue for you.

Frisard

The Pletsher was too short for the Sofrider and I added extenders to each leg using 1/2 inch copper tubing. I see they offer feet for the stand and maybe that would be enough extension for some situations. I'm wondering about having a rear mounted battery weighing down rear end and lifting front end being an issue for you.
I thought those looked like extensions.
Good point about the weight. It seems that that would be the same issue with loaded paniers. Looking at this from an non-engineering view, the double kickstand is the fulcrum. And just looking at the bike it appears that there is more weight forward the fulcrum. I have added roughly 12 pounds to a 33 pound bike. Which is probably 5 pounds more than the steering etc. on the front end. Getting the scales out and letting mother nature find the fulcrum the front end weighs 25.6#, and the back end without battery weighs 26.6# ( roughly equal ), 32.2 pounds with battery. Using a tape measure The front axle is 28 inches from fulcrum , and the rear axle is 15 inches. If I remember my physics from college 45 years ago that would put about 65% of weight up front, and remaining 35% on rear axle. The question for the physicist or engineer is how much does a 5.6# battery offset the longer arm forward of the fulcrum? That part of my 45-year-old memory from college forgets :( The wisdom acquired with age is offset by the loss of facts and formulas years ago acquired. ( I just made that up. Or did I just remember that from somebody else?) ;)

JimA

I've had my quest for a couple of years and really enjoy it. I've recently aquired an e bike for commuting and like the help when needed. So now will electrify the Q.

I've just received my kit from grin with a hub wheel for the rear. I also purchased the torque arm so I don't tear up the dropouts. I've looked at the pictures in the thread but didn't see much relating to my question. How have folks attached the arm to the chain stay? This bike has large chain stays. I assume I'll have to get large hose clamps but just wondering what others have done.

Thanks for any suggestions, comments.

Jim

Frisard

I've had my quest for a couple of years and really enjoy it. I've recently aquired an e bike for commuting and like the help when needed. So now will electrify the Q.

I've just received my kit from grin with a hub wheel for the rear. I also purchased the torque arm so I don't tear up the dropouts. I've looked at the pictures in the thread but didn't see much relating to my question. How have folks attached the arm to the chain stay? This bike has large chain stays. I assume I'll have to get large hose clamps but just wondering what others have done.

Thanks for any suggestions, comments.

Jim
I just used a 10" tie wrap.

Frisard

In the Land Down Under, you would probably put the torque arm on backward. Like water running backward down the sink drain. Don't you guys put your wheels on backwards? not to be confused with swapping front and rear wheels. Come to think of it maybe John was confused by what backward wheels meant. ;)

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
We like to pedal backwards to go forwards, WHILE having our feet pointing upwards, to practice for back to back Tandems!!!

JimA

Just about done mounting the system. Had to change the rear disk from 140 to 160 but used a disk and bracket from parts bin. Haven't installed the torque arm I bought with the package as a standard smaller unit (that came with the motor) was easy to mount as there are nice threaded holes in the dropouts. Will keep a sharp eye on it to make sure it's holding. Batt should be in mid next week........

Frisard

We like to pedal backwards to go forwards, WHILE having our feet pointing upwards, to practice for back to back Tandems!!!
Lived in N. Queensland for a period. Good country, Australia is, thinking out of the box. Not surprised that you guys came up with the Cruzbike. Only from the 'land down under' would such a thing come from. Like the duckbill platypus. Fair dinkum, mate.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I like the Kangaroo best, as it is fast, can jump fences in a single bound, balances using its tail, and has a lethal kick, just like ME, on a fully suspended Silvio V1.0, or a S30!
The Wallabies, Wombats, and especially Koalas, and all those other marsupials, are cute, and unique, like the Orange Q, but slow compared to a Kangaroo, or Silvio!
If you want to go faster "Put a Shrimp on the Barby!!", to fuel you up, and swing a leg over a S30!

Frisard

I like the Kangaroo best, as it is fast, can jump fences in a single bound, balances using its tail, and has a lethal kick, just like ME, on a fully suspended Silvio V1.0, or a S30!
The Wallabies, Wombats, and especially Koalas, and all those other marsupials, are cute, and unique, like the Orange Q, but slow compared to a Kangaroo, or Silvio!
If you want to go faster "Put a Shrimp on the Barby!!", to fuel you up, and swing a leg over a S30!
Ok. I get it, you are a Silvio owner. But, I wonder, does a S outperform a Q when loaded down with panniers? Or is it just any other marsupial?;)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I am also a Quest V1.0 , AND a Softrider V1.0 owner, that is how I know that the Silvio V1.0 and especially the S30 is faster!
I have ridden the Softrider 1,600 km, with 3 Ortlieb bags, using Hostels for overnight stays, around the South Island of the LITTLE island near us, with Kiwi birds on it, as seen on my photo outside the Cardrona Pub!

The Quest was used in USA to cycle 2,800 km from Canada to Mexico in 2011 on a Van supported ride with ACA, hence a small bag for waterproofs, leg warmers, tools and tubes.

The Silvio V1.0 was used to cycle 3,500 km across the Rockies twice in Canada and USA on Van supported rides with Cycle Canada (Best), Cycle America (Worst), and Cycle Oregon (very Good).
The Arkel rack bag, and rack were very good for van supported rides, but I am in the SLOW process of adding 16 mm dia. AL supports from the frame to the rear of the Arkel rack so I can carry 3 Ortlieb bags again, behind the rider! I will do the same for the S30. Once I found the Arkel Randonneur rack could be fitted with one hole drilled in the seat back, i stopped ridding the other bikes, which had racks, as the Silvio, for me was MUCH faster and HEAPS better ride over the VERY rough South Australia bike tracks, and minor roads!

The Disk brakes on the Softrider (added) and the Quest are magic compared to the rim brakes on the Silvio v1.0,, and that is a major reason for the S30 + the 28 degree seat back!

The Quest was modified with drop bars and brifters to make it as close to the Silvio V1.0 as possible, before the 2013 trip to USA and Canada, but the Silvio Air bag suspension, direct slider and boom, and and 700 wheels won out over the Disk brakes!

I will attempt to change the Quest boom/slider to Emaljay's arrangement, once I can find a tube expander for the 1 1/16" ID boom, to expand it out to 1 1/8" to dramatically stiffen up the Quest power triangle.
Silvio june 2013 Colarado.JPG

Cruzbike Quest Rockport USA 2011 .jpg P1140920.JPG

Frisard

I am also a Quest V1.0 , AND a Softrider V1.0 owner, that is how I know that the Silvio V1.0 and especially the S30 is faster!
I have ridden the Softrider 1,600 km, with 3 Ortlieb bags, using Hostels for overnight stays, around the South Island of the LITTLE island near us, with Kiwi birds on it, as seen on my photo outside the Cardrona Pub!

The Quest was used in USA to cycle 2,800 km from Canada to Mexico in 2011 on a Van supported ride with ACA, hence a small bag for waterproofs, leg warmers, tools and tubes.

The Silvio V1.0 was used to cycle 3,500 km across the Rockies twice in Canada and USA on Van supported rides with Cycle Canada (Best), Cycle America (Worst), and Cycle Oregon (very Good).
The Arkel rack bag, and rack were very good for van supported rides, but I am in the SLOW process of adding 16 mm dia. AL supports from the frame to the rear of the Arkel rack so I can carry 3 Ortlieb bags again, behind the rider! I will do the same for the S30. Once I found the Arkel Randonneur rack could be fitted with one hole drilled in the seat back, i stopped ridding the other bikes, which had racks, as the Silvio, for me was MUCH faster and HEAPS better ride over the VERY rough South Australia bike tracks, and minor roads!

The Disk brakes on the Softrider (added) and the Quest are magic compared to the rim brakes on the Silvio v1.0,, and that is a major reason for the S30 + the 28 degree seat back!

The Quest was modified with drop bars and brifters to make it as close to the Silvio V1.0 as possible, before the 2013 trip to USA and Canada, but the Silvio Air bag suspension, direct slider and boom, and and 700 wheels won out over the Disk brakes!

I will attempt to change the Quest boom/slider to Emaljay's arrangement, once I can find a tube expander for the 1 1/16" ID boom, to expand it out to 1 1/8" to dramatically stiffen up the Quest power triangle.
View attachment 4868

View attachment 4866 View attachment 4867
So, the question appears to go unanswered.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
What question????
Are you still on about how the Quest handles pannier bags with that brilliantly designed fold flat Cruzbike rear rack????